My Goldfish Got Burned

Corwin12

Hello,

This morning, I woke up and noticed that one of my Black Moor goldfish had gotten himself stuck between the heater and glass of the tank. I have no idea how long he had been stuck there for. On his side, he has a large silver patch where his body came into contact with the heater. I cannot tell, but it looks to be some sort of white substance there as well, or his scales turned white from the damage from the heater. He is not that old ... less than a year and about 5 inches in length, including his tail.

Here is a rundown of my tank:

125 gallons

6 Fancy Goldfish

Ammonia: 0 - .25

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

PH: 7.6

Temperature: 69 degrees (I only use the heater to maintain a consistent temperature, since the temperature of the room fluctuates.

The tank has the equivalent of 1 Tablespoon of Aquarium Salt per 5 gallons of water.

I immediately moved the heater to free my poor fish. I permanently moved the heater to a position to prevent this from happening again.

I set up my 10 gallon hospital tank. I used 10 gallons from the 125 gallon and replaced it with fresh water.

I have a small filter on the 10 gallon, to which, I keep the bio media in the 125 gallon wet/dry filter for just such an occasion. I also put some of the wet/dry bio balls into the 10 gallon filter. I did not put carbon in the filter.

There is no gravel or decorations in the 10 gallon tank.

I treated the 10 gallon tank with 5 mL of Melafix. I do not have a light on the tank, the tank is getting indirect light only from the room.

I just got back from work. He is swimming at the bottom of the 10 gallon tank. He is eating. His fins looks fine, he is not holding them in. Is there anything else I should do or is there anything I did that i should not have done?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Ouch! Is there a way you could get a photo of the wound? I don't know about burns, but here it is usually recommended to stay away from medicine unless the wound looks infected. Instead salt the water to 0.1% salinity (1 level teaspoon per gallon). I personally would probably go up to 0.2% 12 hours later, keep the water in perfect condition. Good that you have a cycled filter in the tank!

As said, I'd salt, keep the water in perfect condition and keep a close eye on the fish.

Now you made me move my own heater which I keep for the exact same reason as you.

I think what you have done is just fine. You can also add 0.1% salt (1 teaspoon per gallon of water) and that should aid his breathing. Melafix + Salt = wonders for wounds. Make sure you're doing daily water changes on his 10 gallon.

Is the 125 gallon cycled?

Edited by Haruka

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes, the 125 gallon is cycled. The Ammonia sometimes goes up to .25, but never above that. I recently added more bio balls to the filter to stop that. I do regular water changes every week - 20 - 25 gallons (the filter has 20 gallons in it.)

I had the main tank salted once before because a couple of my fish split their fins and I was worried about infection. I slowly removed the salt through water changes. I just recently added the salt back in about 2 weeks ago (through water changes) because I noticed one of my fish had split his tail.

I hate the idea that one of my fish was suffering last night. I had the hospital tank set up in about 25 minutes ... running around so as not to be late for work (though my fish was first priority at the time.)

I was thinking that he should be in there for at least a week ... longer if there is no improvement.

Yea larger water changes will really help. In a 125 try and change about 60-70gallons.

You should not get any ammonia showing up in a cycle tank.

Good luck on the poor guy.

So, tomorrow morning, my fish will have been isolated for five days. He seems to be doing great. He is missing scales where he got burned. I am performing daily water changes in his tank in order to keep the water quality excellent.

His appetite is great. His fins look great. I am still dosing with Melafix everyday and there is about 2 teaspoons of salt per gallon in the tank.

Do you think I should leave him in this tank until his scales grow back? Also, should I feed him Medi-Gold since he may be more prone to infection without his scales?

Thank you all so much.

Is the main tank heavily planted..do you always get zero for nitrates?

I would be tempted to return him to the 125 since he sounds to be recovered from his trauma.

I would also not do prophylactic antibiotics unless there is red on his side under the missing scale area....right now his immunity is kicking in -meds set that back and an otherwise healthy fish with strong immunity should be able to ward off infection given good nutrition and water.

Do you know why he got stuck? Sometimes in the breeding chase for example a female will wedge herself in some place to stay away from harrassing males, just an idea.

The main tank is not heavily planted, but I always get zero for nitrites and nitrates. Since I added more bi balls to the filter last week, ammonia has been zero every day since Sunday (it sometimes rose to .25 ppm.)

I would love to return him to the main tank ... I do not think he is happy being isolated and in the smaller tank. I was just nervous about his immunity and being with the other fish.

He got stuck because I had the heater too close to the back wall of the tank. I moved it away but I am going to be replacing that heater with two smaller ones that I can fit fit in the wet/dry filter.

I did not notice any fish bother him (or her.) And I do watch their behaviors several times a day to make sure that all the fish are getting along.

Thank you for the advice on the meds.