New Koi Tancho

highspeedturtle

How about those markings hah? How often will a perfect triangle on the head appear. Not another mark on him. I know a Tancho has a circle on his head but I just wanted to give him a classification.

Thanks.........

You have a beautiful pond and your kois are disciplined too, not taking out your lilies lol. that's a Highspeed Tancho...haha. well done.

I am hurt again............. he is on the bottom of thepond every morning on his side. When I go to check him with the net he takes off like lightning and is fine the rest of the day? I dont know if he's just sleeping or sick, seems very healthy otherwise.

I realy want this Koi to survive, he is just unbelievable in design.

I am hurt again............. he is on the bottom of thepond every morning on his side. When I go to check him with the net he takes off like lightning and is fine the rest of the day? I dont know if he's just sleeping or sick, seems very healthy otherwise.

I realy want this Koi to survive, he is just unbelievable in design.

Oh dear, not good, koi on it's side. I won't leave him like that and hope for the best. Something is definitely not right. Kois are very tough fish and will fight to get away even when they are very sick. I'll would take him out to a smaller tub or tank (cover it's top, fish will jump) and do a physical examination and medicate accordingly.( I suspect flukes here).

good luck.

Alright, I finaly caught him at dark. He has his tail chewed up. I seen a Black fish in the pond with the flashlight. I think it's a Bream (wild fish). I do believe that wild fish is terrorizing him, probably ate my Japanese Koi too.

Anyhow he is safe and in the protection pen. Lets see how he feels by tommorrow morning. Thanks for the help as always, best site around for Koi Goldfish......

I was reading about that and other treatments and signs of illness, parasites, ect......... on a Koi site. Thanks

He looks good this morning, he is upright, gills flexing, wiggling fins, I think the salt helped all of them. Supoosed to be cure-all too. I have him in the quarentine basket till I find that wild fish or he gets bigger. It is a big basket, maybe 45 gallons worth. Cycles with the pond.

I'm glad your koi is getting better. Like I've said before do watch that wound on it's tail, it can get infected every easily. The best chance of recovery is on a quarantine tank or tub with good water and Melafix. Since you've already dumped salt into your pond, now it's best to leave everything as it is and wait for him to recover but do check on him daily. Any sign of deterioration, move him out. Having him in a cage in the pond helps but it's by no means any better than on his own QT tank.

Please also note that those salt will probably kill you lilies and other pond plants. With due respect, in my opinion you should never put salt in your pond unless you've a terrible disease outbreak.(this goes for any medication too). My protocol is to move all fish out, drain pond, and do a scrub down without any chemicals, refill and start again.There are always bacteria and parasites in there, healthy fish has its own immune system to defence itself.

I'm a bit of a fisherman myself and I think the best way catch this bream is with hook and line. ( but move your other fish to a cage first)

Cheers

I thought about fishiing for the Bream.

The tail looks good on the Koi now, I realy think that Bream was beating him down for a meal. I appreciate all the info and help. The Koi is responding well to the seperation. He is looking realy good this morning.

Thanks a million.............

I have changed the water out 50% to new fesh water. The Koi is doing great, he is swimming and upright all day, I forgot how pretty the Koi actualy was or that he was even a buttrfly type. The others also enjoyed the new water.

So my salt content is a lot lower now.

:death lost him ....... he looked better, kept swimming, but he kept swimming swimming and swimming, never stopped, I figured something was wrong. He kept working his way higher and higher in the water till he was just under the surface on the 3rd day. Then he gave out.

I noticed that he wasnt making a slime on his body, he was always dry/stringent and cold feeling when I checked him out. I think maybe he had a genetic defect from inbreeding in the same little ponds that the supplier brings the fish from. :rip: