What Is This White Thing On Hercules Fin?

caitie

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.2

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.0

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Nutrafin and Api drops

[*]Water temperature? 78

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallons running 3 years

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? AC 30 and Whisper internal for a 30 gallon tank

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 50% every 5 days

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fancies

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aquaplus

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Homemade gel; fresh veggies, twice a day, 5 days a week. 1 day fasting followed by 1 day of peas. Fruits occasionally.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Just that white thing on Hercules pectoral fins and some white streaks on his tail. On his tail it just looks like a color change, but on his pectoral fins the white streak looks thick???

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No, he acts perfectly fine.

hercules017.jpg

hercules022.jpg

Does anybody know what these white marks are? They came on gradually but today I noticed the white mark looks thicker than the rest of the pectoral fin. It is worse on the side shown in the picture and it is now appearing on his other pectoral fin.

He also has some streaks that are turning white in his tail now. That just looks maybe like a strange change of color?

He is acting perfectly fine, eating well. I'm just curious to know if anyone else has seen this before.

Thanks Amy. :) I thought color change too but what bothered me was the thickness of the white part, I can't get a good picture of it from the front but it looks like a little stick was glued to his fin. You can see the extra thickness where the white starts. Oh well I guess I'll just watch and see what happens. goldies are so full of surprises. :rolleyes:

I can't tell right from the picture, but that first ray on the pectoral fins of all my fish is significantly thicker than the others. So if he starts changing color right there... you know what I mean?

I might be completely wrong though. Any way you could carefully hold him submerged and take a photo with the other hand?

Yeah I know what you mean Fang, my common has that too but he is all white so it doesn't really look odd. I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately apart from nibbling on my fingers none of my fish are hand friendly, it would probably stress him something crazy if I tried catching him. :rolleyes:

maybe it is a color change mixed with him becoming more of a 'man'? My male ryukins have significantly fatter fins that the females. The oldest one - Humphrey- has VERY fat fins. Just a thought.

It is quite strange.

Hmmm I thought Hercules was a girl??? :ignore He/she has an outie, but I never bothered changing his name. :yeah: But it could be that I am once again wrong and he is a him. :krazy:

:rofl :rofl :rofl then it's nail polish!

:tomuch: But seriously I get very confused with Hercules. He/she has an outie but 'It' is always butting Coquin (who has no outie) in the butt. So who knows who is female or male in my tank? Poor Coquin gets quite upset sometimes and he has to go to hide in his little glass cup. Shhhh! Don't tell him it's transparent and that's why Hercules finds him everytime. :rofl3

:rofl :rofl :rofl

I did once read that the in/outie can sometimes be hard to distinguish. I guess the breeding stars are the most obvious signs.