Daily Diet For Ranchus

Katie

As you would know I just joined, I have 4 Ranchus and I am LOVING them (that's nothing to do with my post though):P

I currently have a small range of foods they are eating including: Sinking pellets, frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms and the weekly pea and some cucumber or orange if I have some.

What I would like some advice on is

1. How much should I be feeding them per day?

2. How many times per day?

3. Is it ok to feed frozen food every day along with sinking pellets? (morning and night not all at once)

I know it's not black and white with feeding & everyones different, but I'd love to get some feed back on what others do as a daily/weekly feeding schedule for their Ranchus etc.

I want to give them a wide diet and really encourage them to be fit and healthy without over feeding due to lack of experience in Fancy-Goldfishness! ;)

Thanks Everyone - Kate

Edited by Ranchus Down Under

Since they are young, I feed my Zelda 4 times a day with a variety of foods. Saki Hikari, bloodworms, omega one, shrimp pellets, and spinach However you need to be on top of your water quality. I give a pinch of food in my hands, as the saki hikari is small I get a good 16-20 pellets in there. They really need the protein to grow.

I have never had a problem with it, I really don't know what the answer is because she's growing quite well on it now, but I may reduce to twice a day. Babies need to be fed more than adults. How big is he?

I'm not exactly sure how many pellets there are in a pinch, but the saki hikari pellets are very very small.

Edited by Haruka

Thanks Haruka. I am feeding them pellets in the morning before I leave for work (soaked) and when I get home I feed them frozen bloodworms or shrimp. I'm feeding them a little bit of spinich or peas once or twice a week too. I feed nearly a cube between the four of them the last bit goes to my betta. Is that too much or too little? They seem quite happy and doing two water changes a week Ph is good.

Edited by Satchi

That's a very good amount, you'll want to make sure they're filling out though and actually growing. Did they look skinny when you got them? Ranchus need to grow deep bodied and they need a lot of protein. The bloodworms are a definite thing for them, it really helps their growth.

He's almost 5 years old and about 7 inches, including tail, so he definitely isn't a baby anymore :) The pellets I give him are about 3-4 mm, unsoaked.

Does he seem skinny at all? It just seems like not enough in my opinion for any fish. :idont: But has it been working well for you and is he healthy? If he is I wouldn't change anything. :D And congrats on 5 years.

Edited by Haruka

Funny you say that, I was a little worried at first because they were all a little skinny looking when I first got them and now they are all very filled out, like they have little pot bellies and I swear one of the smallest ones is nearly the same size as the bigger two now! Their bodies are really chubby now underneath and they are getting rounder, at first I thought they were maybe constipated/bloated but they are all pooping just fine and seem very happy! ;)

So I'll keep on feeding them this way and watch them turn into little potatoes!

Thanks Haruka!

Does he seem skinny at all? It just seems like not enough in my opinion for any fish. :idont: But has it been working well for you and is he healthy? If he is I wouldn't change anything. :D And congrats on 5 years.

As you can see in my sig pic, he is a bit skinny. He's very healthy, but when I see pictures of fish here on Koko's they all look much rounder than him, even the fantails.

• Admin

i always feel about goldfish is.......

if they are under 4" long i will feed them 3-4 times a day

if they are over that size i feed then 2 times a day with one day on peas and one day with no food.

Goldfish that are adults tend to get more constipated when they get older and feed to much. the younger ones need more food to grow. Kinda like kittens or puppies :)

Thanks koko. I feel more confident in what I have been doing so far now. They had a very exciting "Pea Day" the other day and it worked a treat! ;)

Grow little fishies grow!!