My Two Dandy Oranda Wins!

For anyone following my saga, I just heard from Ken. This was the little kirin ryukin that I already one the auction before this one. A one and a half year old female.

AUC_166_91_11.jpg

Then there was a mix up with this week's auction and a fish I originally bid on disappeared and then reappeared. So somehow I ended up winning two fish when I only have room for one. Ken was kind enough to let me pick and I really originally wanted #5, the red and white lionhead. Ken was a bit disappointed, I think, especially because I got him for only $45 (I think that was partly because he was off the auction for a few days), but he was nice enough to say yes. And he said that he thinks I am going to be quite surrprised at how large he is. Ken is 99% sure he is male and that he is about two and a half years old. He was listed at 5.8 inches, but Ken made is sound like he might be a bit bigger.

AUC_167_51.jpg

Now onto my questions. Actually, I'll just reply back to this post with my questions.

They seem to be bigger and prettier than advertised in my opinion which is great. Link is 2 1/2 and seems A LOT girthier than depicted. You got a fabulous deal on 'im! Congrats!

Okay, question time. This lionhead is BIG....so I am looking at about ten inches of fish between the two of them. Can I still qt them together in my ten gallon with plenty of seeded media and daily water changes or is that asking for trouble. I do have an extra tub handy just in case one of them doesn't ship well, but I would like to Qt them together if possible.

I'll get them Thursday the 2nd, which means I have exactly twenty days before they need to go in the main tank when my in-laws arrive (a bargain I struck with my husband). That gives me three weeks. And of course I am traveling a bit with work here and there so my husband is in charge for three days the week after they arrive adn two days after that. I don't want to ask him to deal with water changes and salt unless I pre-mix the water. So, what is the best way to treat these guys? Should I prazi them once a week for the three weeks and then prazi the main tank when they go in? What about salt? Do any of you with DO fish salt them? It is my understanding that they are regularly salted at .06% so salt doesn't really affect them, but it feel so strange to not do my normal insane QT.

I'm also wondering if I might be smart to only QT the ryukin for two weeks and then put her in the main tank and add the lionhead last. That way I'm not overloading my cycle.

And finally, I will probably let my water params tell me this, but I wonder if I should add an extra aquaclear with my Christmas money? Will that help with a monster fish arriving?

Honestly, I was under the impression that members here didn't do the normal qt of the DO fish. That they just separated them to recover from shipping and then added them to the main tank within a couple of days.

I think you'd be ok with them together since they came from the same source, but then again what if one if them is sick and had a bad shipping time, I'd have the extra tub handy just incase.

With Ken's fish I didn't even quarantine Link since he's already been quarantined for two months and Ken gave me the go ahead and put him in by all means. I didn't want to over stress the poor dear if he's already been quarantined aggressively for the past two months.

If they're not looking too hot or of it makes you feel better I'd do a light salting first of 0.1%, I think they're already treated for flukes and he does scrapes on them. I did do a prazi in the main tank though just now juuust to be safe and I'll just dose once a week for maybe 2-3 weeks.

Link perked up from shipping in a couple of hours and he ships his fish reaaaaally well. The shipping box looks pretty bomb proof to me.

Edit: Basically this whole post is what ashlee said LOL I added Link after a day no problems. His fish are pure when ya get 'em.

Edited by Haruka

Okay, question time. This lionhead is BIG....so I am looking at about ten inches of fish between the two of them. Can I still qt them together in my ten gallon with plenty of seeded media and daily water changes or is that asking for trouble. I do have an extra tub handy just in case one of them doesn't ship well, but I would like to Qt them together if possible.

I'll get them Thursday the 2nd, which means I have exactly twenty days before they need to go in the main tank when my in-laws arrive (a bargain I struck with my husband). That gives me three weeks. And of course I am traveling a bit with work here and there so my husband is in charge for three days the week after they arrive adn two days after that. I don't want to ask him to deal with water changes and salt unless I pre-mix the water. So, what is the best way to treat these guys? Should I prazi them once a week for the three weeks and then prazi the main tank when they go in? What about salt? Do any of you with DO fish salt them? It is my understanding that they are regularly salted at .06% so salt doesn't really affect them, but it feel so strange to not do my normal insane QT.

Option B

I'm also wondering if I might be smart to only QT the ryukin for two weeks and then put her in the main tank and add the lionhead last. That way I'm not overloading my cycle.

And finally, I will probably let my water params tell me this, but I wonder if I should add an extra aquaclear with my Christmas money? Will that help with a monster fish arriving?

Both methods sound ok but I preferred option B better since you may be away occasionally and you have to rely on a caretaker. Two medium sized fish on a 10 gal is quite challenging.:goldfish:

It never even occured to me to consider adding them to the main tank. I am one of those super paranoid qt queens. But if the water really can't handle them, they probably are best in a fully cycled tank. Hmm....I guess I have to think this through.

Hopefully, Sakura, Kukana and Dee Dee might have some ideas for me too. I am nervous at the thought of putting them in even after a few days. I want to make sure they haven't had anything crop up with shipping and they are coming a pretty long distance. Kukana sent me a link to the Nitro Green she uses and I really like that idea. I've been hesitant to order it because it means more money that I don't quite have yet, but it might make me feel a bit safer.

I'm sure they will be fine, Ken told me that he very rarely has fish have issues in shipping and he ships all over the country :) I had a couple bouts of bad luck with shipping, but he assured me it was not common at all. I would have no qualms about adding them to the main tank after even a few days of close observation as long as they look like they're in good shape and seem active. If one or both of them seem like they had an extra rough ride, I would keep them isolated for a bit longer though. I personally wouldn't use any meds on them- not even prazi. And especially not if they seem stressed at all. Shipping is already super stressful and using salt or prazi could be the little thing that pushes them over the edge. I'm starting to finally realize that with Ken's fish treatment of any kind is most often not necessary. At least that has been my experience!

p.s. I'm so glad it worked out to get #5! I loved them both, but I think #5 was the better choice :)

Edited by Sakura

Thanks, Sakura...very helpful! I am so happy about #5, too! I do think Ken was a bit disappointed and I really think this fish would have gone for way more if he wasn't pulled off the site for a few days, so I really lucked out. #23 is pretty darn adorable, too and if I had room and they were smaller I would have just gotten both. The good news is that #23 will most likely be up on the next auction for anyone who wants #5's twin!

I'm sure they will be fine, Ken told me that he very rarely has fish have issues in shipping and he ships all over the country :) I had a couple bouts of bad luck with shipping, but he assured me it was not common at all. I would have no qualms about adding them to the main tank after even a few days of close observation as long as they look like they're in good shape and seem active. If one or both of them seem like they had an extra rough ride, I would keep them isolated for a bit longer though. I personally wouldn't use any meds on them- not even prazi. And especially not if they seem stressed at all. Shipping is already super stressful and using salt or prazi could be the little thing that pushes them over the edge. I'm starting to finally realize that with Ken's fish treatment of any kind is most often not necessary. At least that has been my experience!

p.s. I'm so glad it worked out to get #5! I loved them both, but I think #5 was the better choice :)

I agreed 100% to that. No treatment immediately upon arrival unless for obvious reasons. Also knowing your source from whom you are getting your fish is very important too.:)

How large are the other fish amy? I usually QT one fish per 20gal tub. For the larger Ryukins they need 30Gals to be able to swim round a bit.

I also no longer salt the ryukins I pick up from Holland. However, I do Prazi them fully just because I am a fluke exterminator!

I'm afraid I don't put EVEN D.O fish right into the tankohmy.gif There was a time that I did,but I started having some probs,and needed to implement a qt routine-I lost too many. I am NOT saying they brought coodies in!!! As a matter of fact,I think it more had to do w/ the difference in the water they were used to and mine. Daryl told me I was VERY LUCKY IF I had not qt'd all fish (even from DO-ALL of my fish come from there) and was NOT having problems-BUT I was having problems. She is the 1 who convinced me to qt ALL incoming fishexactly.gifIt has turned out to be a VERY good thing to do. Again,let me stress-I DO NOT think DO fish bring nasties in-Ken qts,scrapes,AND scopes his fish-but there was something causing a problem between his tanks and mine-whether stress,water conditions-WHATEVER!!! It has allowed me to take responsibility for my own fish-Ken can replace them until the cows come home,but I was the 1 losing them and it was just TOO STRESSFULkrazy.gifyikes.gif Both Ken and Tommy(I just recently got a few fish from him)have told me I don't need to qt their fish-they are "clean" when they ship. aint.gifThat's all fine and dandy(no pun intended!),BUT I refuse to take any more chances-I don't have anywhere near the drama that I used to have in my collectionexactly.gif

Kukana, I sort of feel that way, too. I would like a couple of weeks to watch them. My other fish in the main tank are small. Calcifer is probably an inch and a half. And Ponyo might be three inches or a bit under. They are both growing like weeds though. The new ryukin is 4.5 inches. And the lionhead was listed at 5.8 inches. Lots of new overload for my tank which is why I was thinking of putting them in at seperate intervals.

Ken never really said what happened to #5, but I am pretty sure someone bought him and then couldn't pay. When you BIN you don't have to pay immediately.

Kukana, do you know if Ken treats his fish for anything or just swabs and scopes? Since you use the Nitro Green, do you still prazi or just leave it at that?

Thanks everyone! I am excited and a nervous wreck all at once.

Edited by amynmitchell

He qts for 1 month-I just do an additional 2 weeks w/ Prazi and NG-changing the water just once-at the 1 week mark. I feel confident w/that duration-it gives the Prazi time to complete it's cycle also. Another change I've made is that I no longer use salt either-a fish Dr. told me "they are FRESH water fish! Salt messes with them!" So,I don't. I want to stress that these are changes that I had to make in the quake of losing so many-this is MY fish,in MY water-ie:I don't know your fish and water conditions. This just works really well for metestkit.gif It was bourn out of sheer desperationwink.gif

I just wanted to add the contrary to my previous post. Im qting my three for 2-3 weeks. Not because I think they have anything but because of what my guys might be carrying. I want to make sure that the three new guys are in perfect health after shipping before exposing them to my group.

Oh, an I never commented on how much I loooove that ryukin. can't wait for more pics.

Edited by ashlee18

Amy, what if you flippity-flopped your fish, and put Ponyo and Calcifer in the 10 gallon and the two bigger new fish in your main tank for the 3-week QT period? That way you wouldn't have to worry so much about the water getting really foul in the 10 gallon while you're traveling, because Ponyo and Calcifer are so much smaller.

I do realize this runs the risk of transmitting any cooties the new fish MAY be carrying to your fully cycled main tank, which would necessitate disinfecting and re-cycling it. But it might be a good risk to take, since that jumbo-sized #5 just wouldn't do well in a 10 gallon, even temporarily.

(I LOVE HIM, by the way -- he is one of my absolute DREAM fish, a tancho ranchu/lionhead, and I can't wait to see pics when he arrives! He is STUNNING!!!!)

He qts for 1 month-I just do an additional 2 weeks w/ Prazi and NG-changing the water just once-at the 1 week mark. I feel confident w/that duration-it gives the Prazi time to complete it's cycle also. Another change I've made is that I no longer use salt either-a fish Dr. told me "they are FRESH water fish! Salt messes with them!" So,I don't. I want to stress that these are changes that I had to make in the quake of losing so many-this is MY fish,in MY water-ie:I don't know your fish and water conditions. This just works really well for metestkit.gif It was bourn out of sheer desperationwink.gif

I think we must have somewhat simliar what even if it isn't from the same water source. It was just too weird for us to both have the ulcer outbreak at the same time. I like this plan! Do you add fresh prazi every three days?

Amy, what if you flippity-flopped your fish, and put Ponyo and Calcifer in the 10 gallon and the two bigger new fish in your main tank for the 3-week QT period? That way you wouldn't have to worry so much about the water getting really foul in the 10 gallon while you're traveling, because Ponyo and Calcifer are so much smaller.

I do realize this runs the risk of transmitting any cooties the new fish MAY be carrying to your fully cycled main tank, which would necessitate disinfecting and re-cycling it. But it might be a good risk to take, since that jumbo-sized #5 just wouldn't do well in a 10 gallon, even temporarily.

(I LOVE HIM, by the way -- he is one of my absolute DREAM fish, a tancho ranchu/lionhead, and I can't wait to see pics when he arrives! He is STUNNING!!!!)

This is an interesting idea. It would take more prazi and it does mean exposing my main tank to potential cooties, but it may be better in the long run. I'll have to decide by Thursday. My only worry was having the new fish get territoral on the main tank, but the truth is the only fish that has ever acted even slightly agressive has been Ponyo. Do you think it is worth the risk? I am concerned that the big guy won't do well in the smaller tank, but it won't bother Ponyo or Calcifer one bit.

I think we must have somewhat simliar what even if it isn't from the same water source. It was just too weird for us to both have the ulcer outbreak at the same time. I like this plan! Do you add fresh prazi every three days?

No,I just add Prazi on the 1st and 7th days-I was told by the same Dr that is enough. I do use Aqua Prazi from GFC,and am very confident in the product-I know there are some inferior,ie:diluted,or "cut",versions out there-and I obviously cannot speak to them.