I Am So Tempted...

Migaloo

To put a commet in my 170 gal...

Im not really a single tail person, but I saw the most beautiful 3-ish inch, all white commet yesterday with the most magnificent tail.... like Fang's hugo. I know I have the room, but my tank has only fancies in it - would it be a huge mistake?

Somebody please talk me out of getting this beautiful little fish!

:wa Do not do it young lady! Not at all! You'll be putting your fancies at a severe disadvantage. The comet will snatach all the good up and they will go along starving, plus it will grow very large in such a big tank. ;) Stick to fancies with fancies and single tails with single tails. It prevents problems in the long run and keeps your goldies less stressed out.

:cry

Phew! That was close! Thank you Haruka and Blackteles!

I really needed to hear someone say it and a good bashing with the koko stick does wonders! :tomato:

Edited by Migaloo

:rofl I think Dennis just gave me a new title for myself.

But yes, when you are faced with a dilemna and the might enabling committee is unavailable, always think of the future wellfare of all of your fish. I can guarantee an even prettier fancy will come along :yeah:

:rofl You may need to ask Koko to change your username to "Head Enabler" !

Oh.... I do have some silly thoughts going though my head sometimes.... even though I know that I know better LOL... but still.... I cant help myself from pondering over such things! Sadly I cant have EVERY nice fish I see *sigh*

:rofl Enabling badges. I think there was a Kokos police at one time, Perhaps we can have Kokos enabling police.

Don't worry I want every fish I see too. They're allllll too pretty, and it's not fair! They should have ugly ones and pretty ones not just pretty ones! LOL

I am NOT enabling here!

BUT:

What kind of fancies do you have? Vision impaired is not a good idea unless you don't mind the extra care to ensure the vision impaired fish will get his share of food.

My ryukin, oranda and lionhead have no food competition problems with the single tails, but the two telescopes just naturally miss the food easily, so I take extra care of them. I'd have to do that without the single tails too, because the three other fancies are much faster than the telescopes.

I can imagine that a ranchu for example would be at a disadvantage too if he's quite the slow swimmer.

Of course it depends on the fish's personality too. If the comet has a more aggressive personality than the other fish, there can be issues.

Luckily mine are all angels. *knocks on wood*

Plus with only one single tails in a huge tank with 9 fancies, it's not that there is a group of single tails bullying the fancies around.

I gotta admit I'm quite biased here because I do have single tails with the fancies and everything works out wonderfully *knocks on wood again* I think if I was you, I'd get him. But again, that would be ME, and I am not enabling here. And I LOVE white comets, I was showing Tay this all white comet on raingarden the other day which is an absolute beauty :D

Here: http://www.raingarden.us/6306b.JPG

Just saying.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Fang.... stop it!! LOL

Yeah - he looked just like the one in that pic, but had an even better tail... it was really long and flowing - it really reminded me of Hugo's tail!

Yeah... its just too risky for my fish in the long term I think... although he was all cute and innocent looking... I can just imagine the monster he will become, even though I wonder about him being friendly if he grows up with my fancies... :hummm ...

I do think a big white fish like that would look amazing in my tank, but I dont want my goldies to end up suffering later - I know hugo is friendly and I know it can be done.... but I have to stay strong LOL

I better not go into that shop again for a while LOL

Edited by Migaloo

Good decision :) I wouldn't really add single tails anymore either right now, unless I know I can separate them if they're being bad. Which is why I'm not getting the one from raingarden even though the fish is 7 inches big and costs only $ 40.

I would love to have a single tail and a fancy tank in the future though. Like a tank like yours just for like four or five single tails; the two I already got, an all white comet, a sarassa and maybe a funny colored common, one that has some dark in it.

• Admin

Im glad you didnt hun...

You know how bad i want a Jakin, but I have a Ranchu, lionhead, 2 Orandas in my 50 gal tank, and dont think it will go well..Some day i will have 2 of those fish :panana:)

Oh about 6 months ago :lol

Oh, only. :rolleyes:

Poor Charlie.

Which reminds me that's the name of the first goldfish that died when I started with goldis :( Poor mouth-injured shubunkin Charlie. Was probably Hugo's sibling, they were from the same batch at the same LFS. I bet s/he would have gotten pretty too.