So, What's Better?

I've tried it both ways, and fishless cycle wins, hands down. I don't have to change the water every day to keep ammonia levels down, and I don't have to worry about how the fish are doing. Basically just add ammonia and let the tank do its thing! I've found fishless cycling goes much faster too. :D

Fishless.

Cycling with fish (even if you don't do it with your pets) is messy and stressful.

If you cycle with your pets, you have to worry about doing a million water changes to keep levels safe.

I'm of the opinion that cycling with non-pet fish is cruel and wasteful, but if you aren't, you still have to worry about disease and parasites from the cycle fish infecting your pet fish long after you do whatever to get rid of them... =/

Fishless cycle is ALWAYS the best choice. Usually cycling with fish happens because we are uninformed and don't know any better. Fishless cycle all the way if you can! :D Like Commis says it's so easy to add ammonia to the tank daily without even having to do daily water changes to keep your fish alive and healthy.

Fishless cycle is ALWAYS the best choice. Usually cycling with fish happens because we are uninformed and don't know any better. Fishless cycle all the way if you can! :D Like Commis says it's so easy to add ammonia to the tank daily without even having to do daily water changes to keep your fish alive and healthy.

I'm definitely doing a fishless cycle then lol!

• Admin

Well im kinda strange.... when setting up after the move. I had to start my tanks over again but saved all the media in water from there old tanks. When I got here 1k miles away from where I was, I set up the tank and used the Media for 24-48 hours tested the water to make sure it was safe and put one goldfish in, let the tank sit 24 hours, checked the water again, changed the water if needed and added the other fish.

If you have a tank, its so easy to cycle the tank from another one... If you dont then the Ammonia fish less cycle is better :)

I'm following Koko on the matter...I agree that fishless cycle is the way to go if you can't seed your tank with media from an existing tank. I've cycled my last tank with two young fish in it using media from another tank and it was so easy to do. Testing daily and changing water when needed was all I had to do to keep the fish from any stress. I'd do it again in a heartbeat now that I have the experience of doing so. ;)