Bloody Streaks And Cut Fins

npila1

[*]Ammonia Level? 0.25 ppm

[*]Nitrite Level? less than 0.25 ppm, but not 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0 ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.5

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 6.8 (I use buff it up)

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? 74

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? "naughty tank" that was set up a month ago. I added gravel from the established tank and stresszyme.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aquaculture 10 gallons

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? every 2 days, 50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1, 2.5-3 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day, progold, peas, bananas, corn, freeze dried bloodworms

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? prazi was added for the last time 2 weeks ago

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Bloody streaks on the caudal fin and two cuts on the caudal fin.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No change in behavior. No bottom sitting, great appetite, very active.

I recently detected ammonia rising in the tank: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/87731-ammonia-spike/

And now I saw these bloody streaks and the cut fins and I'm very worried. Is it the ammonia causing this or is it a disease? Other than very frequent water changes to keep the water quality good, what else should I do?

Any advice is welcome.

it's most likely from the ammonia. Try once daily water changes of 50% and see if it brings the ammonia down. Some fish are just very sensitive to ammonia, and the streaks can take weeks at a time to disappear. Are they acting normal other than the fins?

it's most likely from the ammonia. Try once daily water changes of 50% and see if it brings the ammonia down. Some fish are just very sensitive to ammonia, and the streaks can take weeks at a time to disappear. Are they acting normal other than the fins?

Thanks for the reply Haruka. Only one of them (Sparkle) is in this naughty tank with the ammonia (the other tank is established - 0,0,5). The ammonia was 0.25 ppm and I just did a water change, so I'll test the water again soon and see if it went down. I increased my water changes to 60-70% and I will do them every day.

Yes, he's acting completely normal other than the bloody streaks and the two cuts on the fins. He is very active and has a great appetite. The only other thing I noticed is that his eyes may be protruding somewhat but again I may be imagining things. I took a video of him, so feel free to take a look.

http://s932.photobucket.com/albums/ad163/npila1/?action=view&current=DSCF4611.mp4

I'm relieved to hear that it's probably because of the ammonia... I've been reading about septicemia and getting very worried :( I will definitely do as many water changes as needed to keep it under control.

I don't really see any bulging but he looks pretty darn happy to me. Maybe someone else may notice something I didn't in the video. I have really never seen a case of septecimia on here, but it has the same symptoms as just the presence of ammonia in the water. I thnik the difference with septicemia is that the fish will become very very lethargic? Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Ok then, I'll keep a close watch on him and make sure his water stays as clean as possible... If he gets worse or if I can't keep the water quality under control, I may end up putting him back in the other (established) tank and use a divider.

It sounds like a plan :D I hope he does better and the water gets better for you, and hopefully he'll have learned his lesson :yeah:

Thanks Haruka :) I'll keep you posted.

He really looks pretty happy to me. I think with septicimia they look pretty darn sick. Perfect water for now and I bet he will heal up just fine.

Yay :) thanks for the replies!