The New Used Tank Is Here

We got the used tank now. It was used as salt water, so there is a lot of calcium and salt deposits there. The light fixture is included but I need bulbs for it and see if it works.

The UV sterilizer is HUGE. And ugly. I haven't looked into how this is set up anyway etc. But I prefer NOT using it unless necessary in a case of disease or so.

The tank has been sitting in the guy's garage for at least two years, still had all the sand and shells in it.

Hubby is at Home Depot right now getting material for building a stand for it, he found a lot of great instructions online how to make stands even for 125 gallon tanks out of 2x4s.

The inner "lip" of the top rim is broken in several areas, I gotta see how to fix the brace in the middle. I doubt we can add a new brace right in the middle, it will probably be off to one of the sides a bit where the lip is still intact.. Is that going to be ok? Like at a third? Or should we rather have two braces on the top then, at 1/3 each?

So far I didn't notice any leaks, but the silicone seams are slightly lose. You know, not where the glass panels connect but where the silicone fades out, if that makes any sense.

I got done cleaning that thing, I doubt I will ever get rid of that vinegar smell now :o

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

My photo camera is dead, but I took a few photos with the video camera :D I'll probably post them tomorrow at some point. Forced hubby to smile for a photo of him working on the stand :D

He'll make a cover for the lights and aside from adding one or two braces to the tank he will also make a lid on the front. The glass cover things that came with the tank, I really don't trust them. Plus one of them has a piece broken off.

Hopefully he will get a lot of it done today, I'd love to set it up with him asap. I currently have three small filters cycled which I will be using in the tank until he can get a big filter for it.

I love how this tank has the same type of fake wood trim as the one I already got, same with the light fixture even though this light fixture is one piece.

Oh yeah, it is made for TWO 48" bulbs of 40 watt each. The tank I got has two 24" bulbs with 15 watt each. Is it possible to put only one 48" bulb in there? The tank was used as marine tank, so I guess the guy went for extra ultra bright.

Just want to say that my bulbs aren't protected from splashes etc - in both goldie tanks. :) It is not a problem it seems.

Neither are mine bulbs. The bulb has screw on end caps with rubber seals, fluorescent pops in fixture with these caps slid on it, then slid down and screwed on to seal both ends.

48" bulbs for a 55 gallon? DANG. He most likely needed the lighting for the corals if he had any to make them brighter and thrive. Don't you dare use them in a goldfish tank or else you will have an algae explosion.

Have you leak tested it at all with the tank full outside?

Y I did! The actual bulbs wewre not included, this guy had the tank sit in the garage for two years, I guess they broke. I'll probably put only ONE 48" bulb in; TWO sounds a bit much, even for a tropical tank. I found atype of bulb online and want to ask you guys for your opinion. Tank has only a few live plants (I got a black thumb), hubby wants bare bottom with a few rocks. Is that ok for thes types of fish? I got to have a healthy but not uncontrollable algae growth for the two plecos and two snails.

I can't get the link to work even if I replace the name.

Do you know if it takes T8 bulbs or T12? If it's older it's probably T12 and you'll be out of luck with the smart pet store. I'd suggest looking at Lowe's if you have one near you. They carry "daylight" bulbs in both those sizes in 6500K, which is the same "color" as my aquarium bulb.

Here. They also have them in T12 if that's what you need.

Edited by flutterbudget

:krazy: what is the difference between T8 and T12 and how do I figure out which is the one I need?

I do have a Lowe's right here, so no problem there, thanks! :)

The ones on pet$mart are those http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3757441t400.jpg, if you check the fish - lighting section on their website, these bulbs are the Hagen Life-Glo II Fluorescent Bulbs

There are a number of excellent epoxies that would fix the plastic top rim and brace of that tank. Devcon makes an excellent plastic epoxy that's sold in hardware stores. It comes in a double syringe, so you squeeze out what you need onto something disposable, mix until a uniform color (a flat tipped screwdriver works great) and then apply. I like to scuff up the area to be repaired, if possible, so the epoxy has a rough surface to melt into and grab. Sometimes I'll just scratch a cross-hatch pattern with a razor knife/box cutter, sometimes I'll give a quick sanding with something like 60 grit sand paper. Then apply the epoxy and smooth out, so it looks decent....and in about 10min it's cured and ready to handle. Full strength in about 24hrs. JB Weld is another good product, as is Epoxy Steel Putty. There are also other epoxies, and you'll find them with samples displayed at the hardware store and auto parts stores like NAPA.

My light hoods are exposed pin-type fluorescents and I had to have glass panels cut for them at the local glass shop. The moisture and splashing was wetting them enough to trip the GFI circuit.

T8 bulbs are an inch in diameter. T12 bulbs are 1.5 inches - the standard older size. I'm not sure if you can tell just by looking at the fixture which it holds, unless you can see how big the space is, or if it's got a label maybe?

On my 30 gallon tank I have a hagen aqua-glo bulb, and I really like it. But I've been doing a lot of reading about lighting options for my new big tank and I found out that those ones from Lowe's are the same Kelvin or color temperature as what it says on the side of my bulb. Also I've read on a planted tank forum or two that people have used the one's from Lowe's. I figure it's worth a try since they are definitely cheaper.

Regarding making the cover for the tank out of plexi glass or Lexan. Go with Lexan as it's harder and clearer, so better light transmission, and not so easy to scratch. But I still recommend having made with glass because it's going to get chalk white within a week, and worse after that, and need to be cleaned. If it's glass, you can pop it out of the tank, stand it up in the shower (put the end onto a sponge or wash cloth) and then use #2 steel wool and running water to quickly clean off all the hard water deposits and have it looking like new. The plastic(s) will be harder to clean and will scratch easily and then start to get hazy.

I'm using the Hagen T8 Power GLO and have been happy with them. Tried a couple few different bulbs, starting with a standard "aquarium/plant" T8 from the hardware store, and then test drove a few of the Hagen bulbs too, before settling on the ones I'm using now.

I'm actually starting to think of a different solution:

The 20g tank has a 24" x 12.5" hood with light fixture. This covers exactly half of the 55g tank. As this 20g tank is going to be put away and only taken out if one of the big fish needs quarantined (the smaller ones would go in the 10g rubbermaid) I won't need the hood.

So I could use this hood and buy a second one at the LFS for only $ 40, it looks almost the same, and use these two together on the 55g tank.

They both are newer too and I can use the newer style bulbs, which probably makes it easier to find fitting bulbs. :)