Mr Zippy Problems

usmgp1

• Supporter

sorry to hear he's not well, could you answer the questions in the white box above and provide a picture or possible video..

one way to help him poop is to feed him peas.. have you prepared peas for feeding before?

ie, they need to be frozen, unsalted peas.. grab some tank water into a glass and pop the pea in there.. microwave it for about 30 seconds or until soft and then remove it from the water. discard the water. pinch the skin of the pea a little and the pea should just pop out. mash the pea a little in your fingers to make sure it's soft and cool and then feed it..

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0 ppm

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?6.0

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? n/a

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?drops

[*]Water temperature? 72

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 constant regeneration system

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aqueon

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Twice weekly regeneration

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? this tank has 10 1 inch to 4 inch

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? When a total redo is done I use a water conditioner and some salt to help

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? 1 daily

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no just an expanded vent

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? not eating swimming but staying in one area.

He is only around 1-1/2" long and he is fairly young. A summer hatching

have you had no problems with such a low pH? I think a pH of 7-7.5 would be better. Have you tried adding crushed coral in the filter?

I have heard of females getting enlarged vents when they are eggbound. But I am not sure in your case.

It is probably not eggs, but if it turns out to be, then I would not not try to strip the eggs--all too easy to injure the fish when that is not the intent. (I really would not try it.) There are other things you can do for eggbound fish. To get an idea if male or female, you can see if the vent is an innie (male) or outie (female) and look to see if there are breeding stars (male) on the front fins. To get an idea if a female has eggs, check the poo (I think zig-zaggy poo is an indication of eggs being absorbed), and when you look at a fish from the top, see if one side is bigger than the other. I think these are the main indications--others may have more on this. If the fish is female and has eggs, you might repost and ask what to can do for eggbound gals.

You said his poo is clear and stringy? That can be a sign of parasites. Any quarantine tank for him? If so I would put him in a concentration of 0.1% salt (1 teaspoon per gallon) and slowly raise it up to 0.3%. That should kill off any parasites.

Oh great that he's in quarantine. Is there any salt added at all to the tank? Aquarium salt or pure sea salt will work well (no additives. Anti-caking agents, iodine, or prussiate of soda) The container must only say salt and salt only as the ingredients. Any other salt will kill your fish.