Any Of You Had Success With A Sorority Tank?

Captain Findus Goldfish

I have been checking out the auctions and they have some awesome females available!

I was thinking about the possibility of setting up a planted sorority tank. From what I understand I need a heavily planted 10gal. Is this correct? How many females could/SHOULD I have in there? I don't want to push it, so keeping it slightly understocked is what I want. I would then do a fishless cycle on it and add the bettas? Or could I cycle it with them in?

Oh and lets say I get 4 betta girls from the same breeder. I would still have to QT them? How is it done? I just have boys for now so I never have had to deal with QT since I just have 1 per 5gal tank.

Any info appreciated! :angelstaf:

I use to have 5 females in my planted 29 gallon tank. Been thinking about doing that agian since I moved out the rainbows. I would get at least 5 or more. Tons of plants when you think you have enough get that many more. If you get them all from the same breeder at the same time and there are no other fish in the tank you can put them all in at once. Try to get some that were raised together.

However keep in mind there well be some nipping going on and you well see an alpha female in time as well as one they seem to beat on more then the rest. Nipped and torn fins well be the norm but it can work.

lol now I know I well get me some more females.

Good luck

A 10 gallon could work for 5 or 6 females. I tried 3 in a heavily planted 5 gallons and that didn't work out at all. But if I had a spare 10 gallon I would try again with 6 girls. :)

I have heard of people making one that small work. Just be sure you have lots of and lot and lots of plants and hiding places. I would get at least 5 see how it goes. But if you have a 15 or even a 20 you can get your hands on it would improve your odds of it working. More room makes it easier to get away from each other.