Lucky Bamboo

dnalex

Hello. After months of deliberating on whether to have live plants in my tank or not, I bit the bullet and went the LFS and bought 3 lucky bamboos for my 55 gal. I had made sure to ask the people working there if these plants would live fully submerged in the water, and I was told yes. However, now that I am doing a bit more research, I am of the understanding that the leaves of these bamboos will rot if they are in water for a long period of time.

Does anyone have any experience with having lucky bamboos in their tanks? Please give me input. I really appreciate it. Thanks :)

I have had some in the past in my goldfish tank. Did well till I was talked into taking it out. Then it died. :yikes

Im good with tank plants but have a black thumb when it comes to pot plants in the house. :thud

I have seen some in tanks they grew out the back. They wont hurt the fish to give it a try,

Ya that is why I took mine out after 6 months. LOL wont do that again. Cause it died.

I've just added my lucky bamboo to the tank. I wrapped the bottom third in plastic mesh canvas and attached a suction cup to stick it to back of the tank. So bottom third is submerged, with top sticking out the top by the filters.

It's been about a week, I'll see how it does. :)

Edited by redfish

Ya that is why I took mine out after 6 months. LOL wont do that again. Cause it died.

I've just added my lucky bamboo to the tank. I wrapped the bottom third in plastic mesh canvas and attached a suction cup to stick it to back of the tank. So bottom third is submerged, with top sticking out the top by the filters.

It's been about a week, I'll see how it does. :)

I panicked and took them out lol. I'm going to return them. I DO, however, want some extremely low maintenance plants to put in my tank. Do you have any suggestions? You should know that as far as terrestrial plants go, my thumbs are black :-)

Thank you for the rapid responses.

It looks like Anubias are pretty hardy and low maintenance...I just bought one this weekend.

good luck~~

And java fern. Moss balls are great if your fish don't eat them.

Actually, as long as they don't clog up the filter intakes, I might invest in some. Some salads for my goldies good be great. So far, I'm thinking I will get anubias, java fern, anacharis & cabomba. I think the cabomba might get eaten, but that's ok. What do you think of the choices? Should I disinfect/clean plants before putting them into the tank? I don't have a QT up & going, but will. If necessary, I will delay getting the plants until QT is up. Do you usually QT plants before adding to your main tank?

Edited by dnalex

Some people QT plants I never have. I do rince them really well in my tap water and thats it. I think there is a special rince you can get for them. And I believe some people do a bleach mix.

Java fern and Anubias are great in my opinion for goldfish tanks. They attach to rock and don't really require substrate to flourish. As for keeping them sterilized I do a bleach dip, especially if they come from a place with snail infested tanks. 1 part bleach to 19 parts water, or I just fill a bucket with water and add a bit of regular bleach and let them sit for a minute (or else they begin to die) and then rinse them well and let them sit in a dechlorinated water bath for a day.

Edited by Haruka

Java fern and Anubias are great in my opinion for goldfish tanks. They attach to rock and don't really require substrate to flourish. As for keeping them sterilized I do a bleach dip, especially if they come from a place with snail infested tanks. 1 part bleach to 19 parts water, or I just fill a bucket with water and add a bit of regular bleach and let them sit for a minute (or else they begin to die) and then rinse them well and let them sit in a dechlorinated water bath for a day.

Sounds good. Thank you. I still can't believe I let myself be talked into putting lucky bamboos in my tank. My mom is laughing so hard at me, because she is something of a lucky bamboo expert, and she keeps telling me that they won't survive fully submerged.

snip:

So far, I'm thinking I will get anubias, java fern, anacharis & cabomba. I think the cabomba might get eaten, but that's ok. What do you think of the choices? Should I disinfect/clean plants before putting them into the tank? I don't have a QT up & going, but will. If necessary, I will delay getting the plants until QT is up. Do you usually QT plants before adding to your main tank?

/snip

All those sound good except cambomba. I tried it in the past and it died and shed its leaves all over the tank. Tiny, needle-y, impossible to siphon up leaves. I read that they prefer more acidic, warmer water too so it might not work in a goldfish tank. It can't hurt to try though :)

Some people disinfect plants before adding them and I believe there is a pinned thread about it. I don't though. I do put them in QT for snails. You don't need a QT tank for the plants, any bucket or large jar will work.

ETA: back to the OP's question, I've never tried it but from what I've heard lucky bamboo won't work immersed. It can be grown with leaves emersed though, provided that the stalk is tall enough.

Edited by Calluna

You just tie the anubias and java ferns onto the rock with fishing line, or hold them onto the rock witha rubberband. :D

Don't feel bad! Many of the aquarium plants advertised in stores that aren't aquariums stores aren't true aquatic plants. :yeah: Some of these stores shall not be mentioned.

You just tie the anubias and java ferns onto the rock with fishing line, or hold them onto the rock witha rubberband. :D

Don't feel bad! Many of the aquarium plants advertised in stores that aren't aquariums stores aren't true aquatic plants. :yeah: Some of these stores shall not be mentioned.

Thank you. For the moment, my tank is again without live plants. I go shopping tomorrow :)

I might spell this wrong, but Wisteria is another plant I have in my tank. It is growing very nicley both width and height.

I will look for it at the big chain store here and also the LFS. Hopefully, they will carry these excellent suggestions that I've gotten.