What Kind Of Goldfish Are These?

Dawn

I know that my tank is overstocked, but would anyone please tell me what kind of goldfish are these? IMG_0003.jpg

Cos my grandmother said they were BAIT to be used to feed bigger fish, my in my opinion, after some research, they pretty sure looked like goldfish to me :thud

Oh! So they are fantails... they were used to feed bigger fish, the shopkeeper of the aquarium told my grandmother LOL. They were sold in bags of 15 goldfish each, for a few dollars only == Then one fine day, my grandmother told me that I wasn't gonna need to get a bigger tank, cause they wouldn't grow. In fact, they look as if they really haven't grown AT ALL. So I'm really confused right now :blowup:

Fish release hormones that stuny their growth and if kept in too many quantities and in too little space this hormone builds up which leads to stunting. The overall result of stunting is reduced growth rate or growth stops, which means the body stops growing but the organs do not. This leads to organ failure or swim bladder issues. Is there any way at all you can rehome them or bring them to the store? :(

Exactly what Haruka said, Dawn. Their growth is being stunted by the excessive amount of fish within your tank. They just won't have a chance to grow and flourish under the conditions in which they're in presently. Best thing to do is to return them to the fish shop or rehome them ASAP. They'll thank you for it! ;)

Okay... this Christmas I'll try and give them to some of my BFFs (best frens) but no matter how much I beg/persuade my grandmother, she says she dooesn't allow it because

1) Its her MONEY. XD

2) They were SAVED from being the bait of some other fish. lol.

3) She will be heartbroken =_=

So I'm like, WTF, GRANDMOTHER! You know these fish won't grow because there are too many of them in a tank, blah and blah, but then still she won't believe me :(

Unfortunately that's the thinking of most people. I would try and give them to someone else anyway or take them back to the store, even though it's 'her money' she said it was only a few dollars correct perhaps you can pay her back and you can tell her you can buy your own new fish.

How big is your tank?

From the pictures from other big tanks, I think mine is around 5-7 gallons. Too small for one goldie, I know.

Yeah I would just go ahead and rehome all of them if possible or take them back to the pet store. :) Then we can get you started on a clean slate. Keeping so many clean in a clean tank would be way too hard I think. :(

What size tanks are available in your area?

Um, there are quite a LOT of tanks in my area, @ qian hu, they range from 155 litres to tanks long enough to fit your body in (LOL to me I can fit in). If I'm allowed to, I'll get the 155 litre one ASAP.

That's good news! A 115 litre would be perfect for 2 fancy goldfish. (fancies need 37 litres each and the first fancy needs 75 litres) Make sure you have a filter that turns over 1150 litres per hour or more since goldfish need 10x filtration or more to stay happy and healthy. Do you know about fishless cycling? It's much better for you and the fish. :)

Okay, I'll go read up on fishless cycling. I'm also going to Japan today, maybe I can get some pics of the goldfish there. (If there is any I come across)