About Zeolite

Does anyone know if it is safe you use any level of salt with zeolite? The package isn't real clear on at what salinity it starts releasing absorbed ammonia. I have a fish in an uncycled qt that I'm a little extra concerned about (I posted in D&D) and I'd really like to make sure he has perfect water, but I also think I should go ahead and salt him. I don't want to seed the filter because the cycle in my main tank is still iffy, and I'm afraid I'll just end up with two uncycled tanks. I'll probably just take out the zeolite and add the salt, but I just thought I'd ask.

Do NOT use salt and zeolite, it will release all the ammonia back into the water. I think you're safer by doing water changes daily and than using the zeolite. That way you can salt him. I hope he has a uneventful quarantine!

I don't see a link Dennis.

I know it will release the ammonia, I just wasn't sure if it was even with low levels of salt. And I do plan on doing daily water changes, but I just thought the extra insurance would be nice. I've been using the zeolite in my aging tubs since I have ammonia in my tap water. I doubted I could do both, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I recharge mine with 0.3-0.5% salt. I am not sure if it holds the ammo at lesser amounts tho. I never use it with salt.

I think they sell some special for salt water - but that has special buffers and such. Not sure how that works.

When I had uncycled tanks which needed salt I just did daily 50% w/c. (sometimes 2x if the fish was large)