Reasons For Yawning

number20121

My fish had flukes a while ago and as soon as the first fish showed first signs I started treating with prazi pro, on the schedule that a lot of people use on here.

I started the treatment on 09/30. It is two months later now and my fish still yawn. The last dose they got... a week ago, there I finished the second bottle of prazi pro.

They don't show any other weird behavior, no flashing, bottom sitting, clamping etc.

It can't be a lack of oxygen in the water because I have one 18 inch bubble wand and two air stones, there is plenty of aeration as you could see really good in the winter theme tank video I posted.

Water changes are twice weekly, on the average about 75-80% because I'm overstocked (working on it, you already know that :D )

My water params are always top notch, pH at 7.5, temperature depending on room temperature between 68 and 74.

So what could the yawning indicate? And it is not just that every few days I see a fish yawning, I see several different of them yawning every day.

The stocking level will go down a bit now because in a couple days the common pleco and the two apple snails will move out of the goldi tank and into the new big tank with the other tropical fish, and today I also got a second Whisper EX70 which brings the gph well above the 10x.

Any ideas?

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I just googled and only find as reasons dissolved oxygen or temperature problems.

As it can't be the oxygen, can it be the temperature? Like I said, it is between 68 and 74 degrees. Some days it might have been 66 when the heat wasn't on yet.

Aside from the reasons that you've indicated, I've also read where it's an exercise to stretch their gills as well. I don't believe an occasional yawn is a bad thing, mine most certainly do it but it's not a constant thing. As long as you've treated for flukes and your water parameters are good along with good oxygenation then I think they're OK. ;)

Fish will yawn to clear their gills.

If its not from damaged gills (from disease or cycling) then it may be organic load..."thick" water.

I think the extra filtration will help.

Lots of my fish yawn every now and then, I'm pretty sure they are not caused by flukes as parasites have other very obvious symptoms. I think they are just clearing their gills, the equivalent of us clearing our throats or having a sneeze. Unnecessary treatment with medications can cause more harm than good. I would just continue with good practices and enjoy our hobby.:)