Filter Question?

fruitloop1

Yep, it still works. I have the water level in my tanks very high to keep as many gallons of water in it as possible, and the filter outlets are about a quarter inch under water.

Another advantage about this is that it causes less strong current in the tank compared to a filter outlet where the water splashes into the tank, and my smaller fancy goldfish appreciate this, since both the filters in the tank are rather strong with 340gph each.

Or did you mean the water is lower than the water level on the filter? Like my whisper filter has a minimum water level line, if the water is lower than the line the filter does not work. No sound, no nothing.

If that is what you mean, then no, it does not work and the filter might break. Always have the water filled AT LEAST a quarter inch above the minimum water line, so evaporation won't break your filter.

let me re-phrase that

My filter releases water a couple of mm's above the surface giving a splashing noise, if the release nozzel is below surface level does the filter work the same

thanks again

The only thing with lowering the entrance point of the is that you might reduce the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water. This shouldn't be a concern if your fish aren't surface breathing, or you have a bubble wand. High temperature water holds less 02, so if you have a heat wave, you may want to keep an eye on things.

I know I fill my tank to the brim when I'm home for the holidays because I sleep in the living room and I can hear the splash all the way from the kitchen. Keeps me up at night it does.

• Admin

My water level is almost to the black border, to keep it quiet. I do have a bubbler in my tank to, but i dont like the noisy splashing noise so i have always kept the water line high. :)