Center Brace Replacement

The used 55 I'm getting has the center brace missing on the top. How do I fix this?

I googled and saw multiple sites saying to "just" get a piece of glass about 3/8" thick and 2" wide and silicone it to the trim where the center brace used to be.

Is it really that "easy"? Does that really support the tank enough? Does it have to be glass or is plexi glass working too? Hubby got a ton of plexi glass at home, which is why I'm asking.

I don't know - my 30gal just has 2 long pieces of glass siliconed on each side of the top rim.

Like This

BUT, it is only a 30Gal. I think with a 50Gal you should do some sort of cross brace just to make sure. All my larger tanks have the bridge thing.

Well, the guy told me that this part that is missing and that he was improvising. Tomorrow I'll take a look at it. Does a 55 have to have one ? The one I currently got has one, but the light fixture is in two pieces while the light fixture of the new tank is only one big piece... maybe there never was one?