Spot On Wen

flutterbudget

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.2 - don't have exact hardness numbers today, both very high

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6 - don't have exact hardness numbers today, both very high

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? about 70*F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 12 gallon rubbermaid tub, less than 24 hours

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aquatech 20-40, uncycled

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? planning on daily or every other day as needed.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 ranchu, about 4 inches without tail.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? so far all I've fed him is a few hikari pellets this morning which he ate happily

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? yes.

[*]Any medications added to the tank? not yet

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? white spot on wen

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no, he seems ok, but I don't know his "normal" yet.

So I noticed this white spot this morning on the wen of the new fish in qt. It looked like just a little white blob. I was hoping it was just wen growth, but since this is my second ever wenned fish, I wanted to post a photo and get opinions. I couldn't get a good pic in the tub, so I held him for one and the white bit seems to have come off when I caught him. (He wasn't upset at all about being handled and didn't struggle.) I have circled where the white thing was in these photos. I can see maybe a little redness where it was but his coloration makes it hard to judge.

He was stressed last night from the bagging at the lfs, so I just put him in clean water and left him alone with lights off. The filter is uncycled so I had zeolite in over night to make sure ammonia stayed down. My plan was to take out the zeolite and salt to .1% today. I hadn't realized I was out of prazi, so I am going today to pick some up and get him started on that as well.

Does this look like somethong to be concerned about? And does my plan sound like the right thing if it is something, or should I be doing something else in addition to the regular qt stuff?

Thanks!

100_35742.jpg

100_35732.jpg

White pimple like spots or white fluff is usually fine...just wen growth. I don't like the look of the spot in the second picture. That looks like (and don't panic here, because it is hard to tell) the start of an ulcer to me. Keep an eye on it for a day or two and if it is still red I would swab it with some diluted HP. He is such a cutie!

White pimple like spots or white fluff is usually fine...just wen growth. I don't like the look of the spot in the second picture. That looks like (and don't panic here, because it is hard to tell) the start of an ulcer to me. Keep an eye on it for a day or two and if it is still red I would swab it with some diluted HP. He is such a cutie!

That would be what I was most worried about. I will definitely keep a close watch on it. I'm hoping that if it is something like that it is just from water conditions at the lfs and will clear up if I keep his qt clean. I had also thought it could be an injury. They guy netted him last night and had to do it twice to get him in the bag. If I hadn't had hand lotion on I probably would have just reached in myself and grabbed him. But I wouldn't think that would have started out with the white blob. He's such a sweetheart, I :heart him already.

Edited by flutterbudget

Well, I forgot that the two stores that carry prazi are closed on Sunday. So... I will pick that up first thing in the morning. In the mean time, I did a 100% water change and salted to .1%. When I went to do the water change, I saw the little white dot again. I got a picture of it with him in the water where you can kind of see the dot. I also took another pic holding him at the surface and you can't see the dot as much, but it looks red. It really doesn't look as red to me in person as it does in the picture, and it really doesn't look nearly as red under water. I also wonder about the color because his face is so pink in some places. But here are the new pics.

100_35752.jpg

100_35782.jpg

Should I just keep watching and see if the salt and clean water are enough? Or should I swab it? Bah! I'm so nervous about this guy. He ate a couple peas tonight and he's bumbling around seeming ok.

Just wanted to add that when I did the w/c I added a long bubble wall and a thermometer, and after I turned off the bright overhead light now he is playing with the bubbles and trying to eat the thermometer. So it seems like he feels ok, at least.

:Congrats: He is absolutely adoreable.

The white pimple thing could be a flex spot since there is a circle of red around. Or wen growth. It is totally not to worry about if it is just the one spot and salt is definitely the thing to stop this spreading if it is a flex spot.

The red spot..hows that doing? As Amy said, I would be more worried about that mark HOWEVER I would still stick with just salt for a few days and monitor, especially since he is eating and behaving fine. If he is alone I would also DELAY prazi so you can monitor your new fishes "normal" behavior. Prazi can make fish bottom sit and you dont want confusion here over how the spot is affecting him and whats the prazi effect...

I would darken half the tank as you are doing. LOTS of bubbles... just as you have done :thumb: Good nutritious food and low salt. (WATCH ammonia 3 times a day if you can manage it)..no salt with zeolite...and if that red sore doesnt clear up...HP it in a day or so after he settles in. The less handling right now the better. He needs to be destressed first.

Hi Trinket, Thanks so much for your reply!

I just got a quick look at him this morning and I'm not sure, but I think the spot may be a little less noticible. I will test his water and give him a little food in just a bit and get a better look. Just in case I wasn't clear, it's actually the same spot in all the pictures. The red place that Amy was concerned about is the same red area that's around the white dot in the second set of pics.

I will hold off on the prazi, then. I'm not seeing flashing or yawning yet anyway, so I don't think that situation is dire. I can deal with the flukes in a few days.

Should I just stay at .1% salt for now, or should I raise it higher? I don't normally go much above that for normal qt because I have trace ammonia in my tap water and even though I use Prime I still worry because it's almost impossible to keep it to zero. But if he needs higher salt I will figure it out. Yes, I took out the zeolite before I salted.

Thanks!

His water is still looking good. I will do a big water change this afternoon anyway. He is enthusiastic (if clumsy) about food, and active.

The spot actually looks a little better to me I think. It still looks reddish, but seems maybe a little smaller, and there's no white this morning. Hoping this is improvement. I didn't take any more photos because I just wanted to let him relax.

There is quite a bit of current in the tub. He kind of rides it around, but it seems like its becuase he wants to. It doesn't look like he's having any trouble manuevering or resting if he wants to. Definitely no trouble with the intake. But I'm wondering if I should try to get a vase or something to put in just in case? I wouldn't want him to get worn out. Or is there a good way to buffer the outflow from a HOB that can't be set up with a spray bar?

Edited by flutterbudget

I think the spot will heal up. I am leaning towards a bit of an injury here. That would explain the quick heal up. A vase is a good idea. I think it is always nice to put a vase in a QT tank to give them a comfortable hiding spot. I think giving him time to be quite, not overhandling and as pristine water conditions as you can get here are a good plan. Give it a few days and then watch again. Another photo then would be good as well. You are doing great!

Thanks! I really want this fishy to be ok!

I'm going to get a vase this afternoon. I don't have one that I feel like is big enough for him that I'm comfortable putting in there. I'm also going to pick up the prazi so I'll be ready to start it when it seems the more urgent issue is resolved. And some more salt because I'm almost out. Still not sure if I should raise it a notch?

I forgot to mention earlier that his poos seem normal. Short and food colored.

Also, I think I was wrong about the temperature. I put in a suction cup thermometer in last night to replace one of those crappy stick on ones, and this one is reading 66* instead of 70*. So I'm thinking I should probably get a heater in there to raise that a bit, yes?

You are at .01% salt, right? I always raise my salt to .03% when I have a fish in QT. I run it that way for at least three weeks. But it can muck with your cycle so you need to keep an extra careful eye on your params. I think fancies do best with a bit warmer water, though I think many people here would keep them at that temp with no problems.

I really think the spot looks pretty much the same from this morning. He is salted to .02% now. He has scoped out his new vase and ate every crumb of food I gave him. Honestly if it wasn't for this mark on his wen, I wouldn't think anything was wrong with him. So I hope that is a good sign.

Well, I don't have anything new to report. But I did take another quick photo during water changing tonight. It came out blurry, but I'm gonna go ahead and post it. See if you guys think you can see any difference in size or anything. My husband insists he can't see the spot anyway, so he's no help trying to decide if it looks the same or what.

100_3585.jpg

A little hard to tell progress for sure but t is definitely NO worse which is always a great sign. The salt should take care of this. But it may take a week, dont expect it to heal overnight. The fact he is otherwise fine as you say is excellent. I would just carry on doing as you are and take the salt slowly up to 0.3% as Amy says for a few days, watching params all the time, that means constantly. Any ammonia at all will set this back and stop healing.

Thanks Trinket! I'm glad you agree it doesn't look worse. I have been keeping a close eye on the ammonia. I have two identical tubs and what I have been doing is getting new water ready (ph and temp matched) in one tub and putting it right next to the other tub then moving everything over and scooping the fish into the new tub. So far this doesn't seem to be causing him any stress, and I'm doing this about every 12-16 hours or so before I see ammonia on the the test. He has been at .2% now for about 20 hours. Probably with the next water change I could raise it to .3%?

Sounds like a good plan!! :bubbles

And if you are scooping him ...maybe in a cup or jug ......as slimecoat is very key in repairing sores/scrapes and handling or removing fish out of water can disturb slimecoat renewal. Just a thought .:heart

I agree. Even if he is not hand shy, it might be better not to scoop him out and to do two back to back 50% changes instead. The spot definately doesn't look worse to me. I really think he got a small nick from the netting. And just for the record, my husband could never see anything either. It used to make me so crazy and worries me a bit when he is charge of the fish.

Thanks guys. I'm using a big measuring cup to scoop him. He really seems to hardly notice its happened. Just looks around and goes on about his business. I like that I can totally rinse out the tub and keep the slate clean this way, and also not risk cross contaminating my syphon to get out the poos the filter isn't sucking up. But if you think it's a bad idea, I can do something diffferent.

I know this thread makes it look like I'm picking this fish up every five minutes, but I'm really trying not to handle him when I can avoid it. I'm just not completely confident in my ability to know what I'm looking at and spot any warning signs, so I feel like it is important to get photos to show the experts.

Regarding an injury. I do think it could be from netting. I've also noticed that he seems to have trouble seeing straight down past his chubby cheeks. He will see food falling and race for it, and then totally miss it and run into stuff trying to find it again. He always gets it eventually, but he is not graceful about it. So while I don't have anything sharp in there, he could have banged into the bubble wall or the filter intake, or who knows what at the lfs.

He's still acting the same. Like a normal fishy. He was asleep when I looked in on him earlier, but he gets all excited when he sees me.

That's so cute :D ! Its very 'bonding' when they get excited to see you :wub: as a single fish/fish alone that can be especially noticeable and endearing.

And he sounds very well and happy overall. I agree a scrape in the wen area is easily done as the skin is so layered/lumpy and flaky in that area.

You are doing just fabulously!

Will he eventually be going in another tank with other fish or not? :)