When You Purchase New Fish

teetsymomo

When you purchase new fish, do most of you usually go for the smaller fish, so you can watch them grow, or do you lean towards the medium or larger fish?

Edited by teetsymomo

Medium-Larger fish. That way I know the fish has reached its potential. With smaller fish I don't know where they were bred or if they're stunted or came from poor quality parents. With smaller fish they may be cheaper but I think you're taking a risk in my opinion. Unless of course you're getting them from a good breeder like Ken (goldfish connection) and you know they are kept in excellent conditions. I never buy small fish from pet*smart and things like that.

I am rubbish at growing fish on so I like them bigger when I buy them. It's also much easier to spot problems with them. All my fish are LFS fish and I do think the one that I bought small is stunted, she's doubled in size since I got her, but given that she's still only 2.5" long after a year that doesn't say much...

It really depends on where the fish are coming from and the goldfish keepers abilities.

Personally, when buying from a store, I like to go for medium to large goldfish (around 3-5 inches). The larger fish that stores get in will generally be hardier and better at dealing with the stress of shipping and store tanks, and even the 'large' fish in stores still have some growing to do. Smaller fish will generally be more susceptible to disease and stress. However, this doesn't mean that all big fish are healthier or that all small fish are sickly, but it does pay to consider how well a small fish can take the stress, if it is too young or too stunted.

If purchasing fish from a breeder or a reputable auction/distributor, you could go a bit smaller safely, but even then I would suggest avoiding fish under 2 inches. Basically, I would avoid purchasing fry unless you are confident that you have the skills to raise them.

Another thing to consider is the size of fish you already have or plan to keep. It's best to try to match the size of the fish (i.e smallish fish with smallish fish, and largish fish with largish fish). The sizes do not have to be super close, but a giant fish with a tiny fry can be a recipe for bullying.

I like to go with smaller and younger fish, mainly because, when they are grown I can say I raised them and they are my fish, not somebodys elses creation

For me it's what ever I can get at the time I am looking for a new fish! Where I live there tends to be much more of a selection of smaller fish. So thats what I have! It's great to see them grow up and change over a period of time. :)

Same here! I want a black moor eventually but they are all nickel size here. My original four are all small while my newer ones are larger. So I'm heading toward the larger fishies :)

I much prefer tiny babies, so much fun to watch them grow from an inch body to who knows?! I think they're all beautiful in the end, so I enjoy watching them change shape, color, etc :)

exactly, its great to see how they grow in their own tank

For me I want to buy as healthy a goldfish as possible. If it's from a reputable dealer then I don't care about the size. If I'm taking a chance on a less than reputable dealer then I would probably buy a larger size.

I'm in the middle here. I don't mind purchasing a younger fish as I'll get the satisfaction of knowing that I raised it from being very young. Granted I won't know the final outcome of what the fish will look like when it's full grown but isn't that half the fun? I've purchased medium and full grown fish as well as I know that's what the fish has grown to be. But don't forget that a full grown fish can change color too! There's really no correct answer here...it's all personal preference. ;)

I don't really care if the fish is smaller or bigger. With bigger fish you also never know how old they already are and they might be stunted as well. Might even be old breeding fish that are being sold now. And as Dennis said, the color can change at any time.

In my opinion both has its advantage; you see a tiny fish grow and turn from a kind of weird looking something to a beautiful big fish. An adult is more likely to be healthy and survive the stress from going to a new place etc.

I just go for the fish that strikes me personally at the time of purchase. Sure a lot is based on its looks but as said before, it can change color anytime. :)

I buy both--whatever has the kind of color or look I want at the time. But if they change color later that's ok too--makes it more fun really. I bought a one inch baby common that I raised to be about 4" in a year but I've also had other tiny ones that hardly grew at all before they passed on from some illness or other. Lately I've been getting a bit larger--3-4" cause they don't really cost that much more and I'm hoping they will be a little stronger and healthier overall since they made it that far already. :)

I like to buy them medium or large in size. As others have said, you can better see what the "finished" fish will look like (although as Dennis points out, there's no guarantee they won't still change colors on you!).

And I'm really impatient, and waiting for small fish to grow drives me nuts. :rolleyes:

I like buying small-medium fish generally because they're cheaper (hehe) and as others have said, it's fun to watch them grow and be able to reminisce about how tiny they were once they ARE big. C:

I always pick cute lil' babies! I like to watch them grow!! I even got some fry from another member once, that was great I REALLY enjoyed watching them become FISH!!! I still have one of them 4 years later!!

I love getting small baby fish too :) Well, not fry. I got all my fish when they were about 1.5 inch including tail! So cute! Five years later, my Bobby is at least 7 inches from head to tail. Even though the fish may change and not be as perfectly formed as a full grown fish from a breeder, it is more fun IMO to watch them grow :D

• Admin

i first go by if i like the fish (color, style and attitude) then I will go on the size and price of the fish. Most of mine have been baby fish cause I love to watch them grow up. But i have gotten a few grown up fish, but i find they dont live as long cause you dont know how old they are. Oldest fish i had was my 8 year old fish. Yes 8 years I had my fish :) hes passed now :(

I like to get my fish small. First because they are easily available around my place and also because I find them irresistable. :rolleyes: I also like the fact that you can see them grow up and you can have them longer if you are lucky. My oldest goldie has just turned 4 this october and he was a tiny little feeder fish when I got him. Okay he isn't huge now but that is another story. :rofl

Edited by caitie