Is Anyone A Vegan?

enesta

I don't want to start an animal cruelty debate by accident, but after watching Food Inc I don't know if I can eat meat any more. Although I've been thinking about this for awhile. I think I'm going to try vegan for as long as I can for health reasons on top of the protest of where our food comes from. Anyone have first hand experience?

I think there are a couple on here, but you really need to make sure you're getting enough nutrients in you as meat has a lot of it in there. Get some extra vitamins if you plan on doing it I think. We don't want ya with a deficiency here! Who'll feed the fishies?

im a vegetarian ,not vegan

i still eat cheese and some dairy products

i dont eat fish meat chicken eggs..

i eat a lot of pulses for protein and make my own vege chillies and curries

i also make my own lentil soup,lentils are good for protein too.

i eat a lot of green veg too and salads .

ive been a vege since 5 years old, and thats nearly 39 years.

Edited by sumer

Be careful...LolaGranola is vegan I believe and is lactose intolerant as a result. If you do want to go vegan I would go vegetarian first and then wean yourself off the other stuff, sudden changes in diet are not good for you, particularly in terms of energy levels and different deficiencies. Good luck :)

I agree with Sarah. It is not something you can change from one day to the other. I believe you need to read a lot about how to replace the nutrients you find in meat etc.

I would also start with vegetarian so that you can still get plenty of protein from eggs and such.

Yeah I'll still eat eggs for awhile and do some more research. I just got back from the grocery store and bought a completely vegan diet (what I hope to be a weeks worth at 60 bucks). Trying a lot of new things - roasted soybeans and almond milk are really delicious.

i used to drink soya milk too, its an aquired taste though

i take vitamins too just to help with my immune system

i would definatley take it slowly to chnage to begin with and see how you go

but like i said protein like you get from meat

you will get form your pulses and lentils and similar things like that

you might have to take a multivitamin with added iron

hope it goes okay

We have kind of a weird diet. We have been vegetarian for years and for the most part eat vegan at home. I love to bake, so the challenge of baking without eggs, butter and dairy is fun for me. Applesauce, bananas, flaxseed are all great substitutes for eggs. Earth Balance is a vegan butter substitute that is great. Cheese was the hardest for me (and if I ever do eat it on occasion now I get it organic and from small farms). Honestly, eggs and dairy are all so tied in to factory farming unless you get it from a small local source that treats their animals well. And grass fed is the way to go if you can.

When I first started I bought a lot of processed fake meats and cheeses. After a few months of eating lots of fresh fruits, veggies, beans, grains and homecooked dishes the flavor of that stuff starts to lose its appeal. I still make a lot of the same dishes, just altered. Pizza is still a staple, but with homemade (or Trader Joe's dough) crust, lots of roasted veggies and garlic, olives, and a sprinkling of coarse grey salt and fresh hebs...I never miss the cheese. I still make nachos with beans and veggies and guacomole and salsa...never miss the cheese. It is really just a matter of changing your shopping habits to be an insane label reader and cooking a bit more. And you feel better.

On the same hand, don't automatically assume that eating vegan is healthier. You need plenty of fruits and veggies. Technically, you could live on vegan cookies and potato chips and it would be a terrible diet. And take a vit. D and B-12 supplament. Vit. D is mostly in milk and cheese and meat products. Same with b-12.

Congrats on thinking about the way you eat and how it impacts the world at large. Keep us posted!

I went vegan overnight. I do lots of research on the internet, I look for recipes, restaurants, nutritional contents, nutritional studies and animal rights organizations and random searches like where leather comes from, and even celebrity vegans. I made the change initially for my health although when I was a vegetarian for a few years I did that for the animals!

Now I use ethical veganism to keep me vegan. If you look for Jodie York on facebook she constantly posts things to support veganism.

I find it difficult because I am a lazy inexperienced cook but I am getting better at it after a year and a half. :angelstaf:

Get the magazine called VegNews, it comes every other month.

I rented Earthlings (2003) it had more slaughterhouse footage than any normal person could ever stand to watch. I would suggest The Cove though it was heartbreaking but interesting.

If you are interested in optimal health by eating a plant based diet read The China Study by T Colin Campbell. It is fascinating. Also since you are only in your early 20's this way of eating could really add many healthy years to your life.

Thanks for the info everyone! I'm a lot like you Texana, not a good cook and like my food quick! Cheese will be hard for me too amynmitchell, I'm going to go to my local farmer's market next week and see what I can find that's not factory farmed.

I'm also really into weight lifting so I'm slightly worried that I won't be able to get enough protein (I was getting about 1 gram per pound of bodyweight before) with a 50% protein 30% carb and 20% fat diet. I'd like to at least maintain the muscle I have. I know soy is a good source of protein, but I've heard stories about estrogen and not being good for men or something along those lines?

If you want to supplement protein there are some fantastic ones at Whole Foods and online. It will cost you at least $75 or $100 a month for a daily boost of plant protein powder. Soy is NOT the best when supplementing with a powder. If you go to WholeFoods you can get a good sampling/ education then buy what you like online, try iHerb or The Natural Store.

Be sure to make note of how many servings are in each can. Some only contain 7 servings. I tore the label off my latest favorite so I don't know what it is called, RAW Protein I think.

I am experimenting with not taking it anymore because I met a vegan of 20 yrs who doesn't supplement protein, she said it is a big scam.

Try Daiya cheese. It is the latest popular most cheese-like fake cheese.

The Daiya cheese is yummy. I've only had it at resturants, but quite good. I have always felt like if you eat a good diet, you don't need to supplament. Especially for things like iron and protein. There is so much iron in green leafy veggies and tons of protein in things like tempeh, beans, tofu, ect. As long as you make sure you are eating plenty of protein options you are good.

And here is my favorite tempeh bacon recipes in case you are missing that BLT that Dennis was eating. This will make you a kick but TLT.

There aren't really portions, because I tend to guesstimate. Slice the tempeh in very thin strips. Meanwhile mix around a 1/2 cup soy sauce with 1/4 cup water, add a bit of natural sugar (around a teaspoon or so) or agave or maple sugar, around a tsp. or a bit more of liquid smoke. Simmer the mixture then pour the marinade over the tempeh strips and let marinade for a few hours or overnight. Then place the strips on a baking sheet that has been greased. Sprinkle the strips with coarse sea salt and cumin. Bake at 350 degrees until crispy. Flip them once during baking.

Enesta

That is really admirable that you are thinking of becoming a vegan :D I've been a vegetarian all my life, but not vegan. I don't take any supplements, just eat regular food. I've heard about the estrogen like compounds in soy before, but I don't think it is a problem if eaten in moderation. After all, meat has hormones in it as well, but your body will adjust to a wide variety of conditions. Of course, there are many other sources of protein as well, like beans and cheese.

-Calluna

• 2 weeks later...

Yay Enesta, we were tweeting about this!

I am trying to go as vegan as possible and have given up milk and eggs... just not cheese which is proving to be difficult >.<

Apparently vegan cheese is really yummy so long as it's melted, so it's perfect for pizzas and such!

I have a friend who is vegan and she says she eats loads of oriental foods like stiry fry (literally chuck everything in a pan and stir) and curries as they are pretty much veggies and sauce :)

Hope that helps!

P.s. you can buy curry sauces in a jar and stir fry sauces too so that cuts out preparing a difficult meal :)

I didn't do well at all. It's tough when my girlfriend wants to eat meat all the time, my roommate does, my family does. They aren't just meat eaters though, it's part of our culture. But I'm not going to give up trying, just won't be as cold turkey as I wanted.

my boyfriend is a big meat lover. so what I do is not officially say I am a 'vegetarian', I just try and stay away from meat most of the time, without attracting attention to it tho by calling it a name :)