A Few General Questions About Larger Tank Setup

number20121

Ok, so we will be getting this 55 gallon tank. We don't know yet if we are going to use it yet or not, but IF, then hubby's tropicals will go in there. But now I got a few questions.

So far there would be the one adult angelfish, one 2 or 2.5 inch rubberlip pleco, and two each platies and dwarf gouramis moving into the 55 gallon tank. This is very much room for them, so in order to make a bit more room in my goldfish tank, I would like to move my two apple snails and the common pleco in with the tropicals. I know the snails are no problem as they lived with the tropical fish temporarily when I had to salt the goldfish tank.

My main concern is: common pleco x rubberlip pleco. Is that going to work out?

Second concern (more of a question): I think angelfish like having other angelfish as company. The one we got right now lived without other angelfish at his previous owner. I personally love angelfish that are of different color, like sunset blushing or koi. Is this just a color variety or a completely different type? If all different, can I still keep them together (of course depending on if they get along at all)

Umm... I think that's about all of what I have to ask.

Thanks!

The common pleco will be fine with the rubber lip plecos, but the common is not good with angels...much like with goldies.

Angels do well with other angels or alone. The only thing you would have to worry about is territory. Before adding more angels, you would have to rearrange the tank decor. There are different kinds of angels, but most like kois, sunset blushers, etc. are all the same. The others are wilds but you won't find them without really looking and waiting. I have some plats I can send you for free. They are pearlscale plats, google them if you want to see what they look like. I also have a German Blue Blusher I am willing to part with. thats if you want :P

I tired to add an angel friend in with Bully. He killed them all. So it may not work. I would try it at least once see how it goes.

I would rather have a common pleco in with the angelfish. The angelfish is less likely to have problems then your goldfish are.

The problem mostly with goldfish is cause they rest on the bottom at night and common plecos see that as a free meal. The older the pleco gets the more likely it is to happen. Angelfish (at least mine does not) don't rest on the bottom of the tank unless sick.

So I would keep that pleco in with the angelfish. Plus they need lots of room sounds like you well have more space in the tropical tank then the goldfish tank.

Putting the pleco in the tropical tank just seems the smartest thing to do in your case. Only other smart thing to do is rehome it.

Good luck

Oh good, thanks! I'm not even sure about the additional angelfish. Sometimes I wonder if she would even like company, because she must have lived as the only angelfish for quite a while. Then again I wonder sometimes if she is lonely. She seems bored sometimes.

Other big question: what is the recommended gph for tropical tanks? You know, like the 10x for goldfish, I know it is less than that, but how much? I am not sure I'll be able to set up the wet/dry filter because my cat will probably drown in it :doh11:

But I'm getting a second Whisper EX70 today for my goldfish tank, in which I have two small extra filters running right now. These would be replaced by the stronger ex70 and these two small ones combined with the one that is currently on the 20g tropical tank do 270gph.

Is that enough for a 55g tank that has only seven few fish and two snails? Especially considering that the 55g holds only about 45 or 47 gallons of water, that would be about filtration x5

Also: In case the top brace of the tank is missing like someone mentioned in the other thread, how can I fix that so the tank won't bulge/bend/whatever it is called?

Other big question: what is the recommended gph for tropical tanks?

Also: In case the top brace of the tank is missing like someone mentioned in the other thread, how can I fix that so the tank won't bulge/bend/whatever it is called?

Hey Fang...I've always used 10x filtration on my tropical tanks with never an issue. I read that years ago and it still holds true at present. 20x is obviously not necessary for smaller tropicals.

Wish I could help on the top brace..is there a possibility of screwing a sturdy plastic brace to the inside frame lips at the top of the tank? Mine are molded directly into the frame.

I agree with ashlee and Hidr about the angels; re-arrange the decor. My big boy angel in my dad's tank is huge and he did indeed kill a few of them before, but we added 3 in a group and re-arranged things and they are the best of friends.

I would see about screwing on a piece as well, and test it full outside first. Ask the owner about the brace too as you run the risk of having explosive water everywhere.

Edited by Haruka

I see, thanks! Then I will see if somehow I can make the wet/dry filter kitty-safe :D

And maybe we'll just stick with the one angelfish we got, although just now at Pet$mart when we picked up the EX70 they had the most adorable baby angelfish. Just the color I'd like, almost all white and some yellow on the head and dorsal, with very very light stripes.

They were about 1 inch in size, I don't know how the big angelfish might react to them. Or would getting a couple of the small ones be a good idea? Does the big angelfish even see the tiny ones as rivals or would they blend in with the other small tropicals and then just slowly grow bigger so he can get used to them?

As you can see, I don't know much about angelfish. So glad I got you guys, at this point many thanks to all of you guys :angelstaf:

Ours saw them as rivals but he eventually got over it. Now they have super long fins and he doesn't even bother them. I would be careful though. I think what makes them attack is because as soon as something new comes in from the top they regard it as food or a threat or something like that I think. I also suggest looking at your lfs for new angels. You can often find big ones cheaper than what they have at P-mart.

Fintastic had some very nice looking ones, that were about 2 inches. I just wish I knew if she likes a buddy or not. After quarantining a new fish it is too late for returns as the lfs' here only take them back within 14 days. Already asked about what to do if the fish turns out to be a bully after quarantine and they said if it is after 14 days they can't take them back. Pffft.

I also worry about the angels maybe ganging up on the four small tropicals. :undecided:

If the tank is big enough they shouldn't have a problem. My dad's tank has 4 angels, an african knife fish and those little catfish things. Not cories. The angels just troll around nd really don't seem to care. :idont

That's what I mean. I don't want to be stuck with fish that can't stand each other. I'll have to ask Fintastic about their return policy in a case like that.

Is there any way to tell by the behavior of an angelfish if he is bored/depressed or happy? This one seems mellow, not swimming around too much unless the small tropicals get on her nerves, then she chases them away. Not massively aggressive, it is more like a shooing them away.

If she had a voice I bet she'd scream GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DAAMN KIDS!!

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

That's what I mean. I don't want to be stuck with fish that can't stand each other. I'll have to ask Fintastic about their return policy in a case like that.

Is there any way to tell by the behavior of an angelfish if he is bored/depressed or happy? This one seems mellow, not swimming around too much unless the small tropicals get on her nerves, then she chases them away. Not massively aggressive, it is more like a shooing them away.

If she had a voice I bet she'd scream GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DAAMN KIDS!!

This behavior is pretty much how Bully act's but he has ate some smaller fish and of coarse when I tried to add other angelfish he bullied them so bad they stayed in a corner and then the stress would cause them to die.

So I am guessing this means your angelfish is perfectly normal.

I see! I guess I rather wait on getting another angelfish. Maybe she likes being the queen of the castle. The small fish really don't give a darn about her shooing them away, they just go right behind her and keep doing what they want :D

Aww Dennis, I feel your pain then. I honestly like the WORK in the grocery store, if the way corporate treats their associates would show a bit more appreciation.

My old man angelfish killed his mate. I put him into punishment alone for a LONG time. Now he is in a tank with 8 other angels and is bossed around by his own son LOL

I love working in the grocery store, except during the holidays when everyone goes nuts. I almost punched my boss out but instead ranted to her boss lol

Yeah, or when they announce snow and everyone here in the south loses his mind and everyone HAS to go buy milk, eggs and bananas as if they'd going to be snowed in for the next month and a half. :rolleyes:

Reminder, people. You are living in the south. THE SOUTH.

Aww Dennis, I feel your pain then. I honestly like the WORK in the grocery store, if the way corporate treats their associates would show a bit more appreciation.

I've been in it for 38 years Fang...I'm a district manager and I know what you're feeling too.