Water Problems, Cloudy Water And Bugs Too

BriansMom

I'm kind of having some water problems these past few weeks. I set up my 55g mid-october and a few weeks later it became white cloudy so assuming it was the bacteria forming and my cycle was getting further along (by what I found through google). Now it is green cloudy, I am assuming this is algae blooming? I have been doing 50% water changes twice a week and even sometimes 25% a third day in the week because of both the algae cloudiness getting out of hand, and to help my flukes treatment. It is a little better for a few days then is cloudy again. I know to control algae is to keep it away from light but it is in a basement that doesn't have much natural light. The tank lights are on maybe 12 hours a day so I will turn them off when I am not around and that will help? I read to feed them less so instead of 3 times a day, I have been doing 2 times a day for a week now and I suppose I could do just once a day if it makes much of a difference.

-It gets cloudy enough where if you look down through the sides, it is VERY cloudy looking and you cant even see a 1/4 way down the tank and looking at it head on, you can just barely see the back. Doing vacuuming is tough along the back since I cant see anything! I dont have much on my bottom, just some river rocks that cover maybe 25% of the bottom, other wise its bare. Sometimes its so cloudy, I loose my fish in it. I am not overstocked since I only have 2 fancies.

-My filter gets full of gunk FAST, I have been having to rinse it in old tank water maybe once a week other wise the water is never clean when it comes out of the filter, the sponge and ceramic cylinders are full of brown gunk and my tubes are thick with it too. (I dont clean it to the point where I would lose my cycle)

My parameters are

Ammonia- 0

Nitrites- 0

Nitrates-0 (Guess my tank isnt cycled yet :( )

Is there anything I can add by API (only brand sold in town) to make it settle down in the mean time while I wait for my other measures to take control? What else can I do?

There is a lot of little particles floating around too, not sure what that usually is but with all the water changing I have been doing, I would think that wouldnt be going on either.

Also, there are little bugs floating (probably dead) at the top of the surface. They are realllly small with wings and Im sure get there by their attraction to the light, but is this a tank thing?

Because, I live in Minnesota and it being 0 degrees lately, we dont really have bugs like that and I never see them around besides in my tank (maybe 10-20 of them)

Thanks for the help!

If you need pictures I sure can take some to help!

The little gnats sure are attracted to the light. Where they come from I can't tell you but I had a problem with them too this summer because in the upstairs part of the house mother in law has the dog food bowl for her chihuhua right next to the water bowl on top of a plastic tray. Dog food particles ended up under the tray and got wet from spilled water and I discovered bug larvae and cocoons and stuff underneath it as I was trying to help her figure out where all the gnats were coming from.

SO. GROSS.

The cloudiness, how much do you feed them? I know you say twice a day, but what amount? Having so much poop in your filter indicates that they are eating too much. Twice a day the amount that equals the size of the fish's eyeball is enough. SOAKED food of course as it expands in water.

But I never had a problem like that, so I am really not exactly sure what the problem is. :(

I had the gnat problem too, wipe under the rim of the tank and that's where the eggs usually are. Make sure you wipe off the top of the glass where you put your light on and make sure there is no food lying around. It got rid of them quick.

How many watts of light do you have in each fixture, and what kind of filter cartridges do you have?

Water changes of 50% at least twice a week would help the cloudiness issue. It could very well be a bacterial bloom as your tank hasn't been running for all that long. What type of filtration are you using and have you done anything to clean or alter the filter media in any way recently?

Wow, thanks for all the replies.

I use a aquaclear filter and there isn't too much decor and media. With all the water changes I do, I'm suprised I've had such green water! Twice I've shaken the sponge and ceramic in tank water I took out and cleaned out the tubes and motor (wouldn't run after I restarted it so it was definitely necessary!)

I would consider myself not overstocked at all. one is maybe 2 inch without fins and the other 3 or 4. But I would say I'm probably an over feeder so ill slow down!

I don't know much about uv sterilizers. How much do they usually run and could I get one at p.et.smar.t?

Not sure on what the watts are offhand, its the ones that came with the hood I got at pet.smar.t. The tank brand I believe is top fin so I think the hood would be the same.