Heater Bit The Big One, Oh Boy!

Darn it...I've been watching my brand new Tetra heater in my 20 gal tropical tank which is 200w for up to 55 gal. I just installed it about a month ago after the old one popped and it's been doing OK but I've continuously had to fiddle with the adjustment knob after too many temperature fluctuations. Up, down, up, down...this crap gets old too soon.

Well today I noticed it was only holding at 72° which is too cold for my tropical buddies so off to my LFS I go. After scoping out what was available, I finally saw the Rena Smart Heaters. I've had a 300w SmartHeater in my 55 gal GF tank for over a year and it's like set it and forget it. That made my decision so I picked up a Rena SmartHeater 100w for my tropical tank. Basically all you have to do is click it and stick, or set your temperature knob and stick to the rear of the tank, plug it in, and DONE!

Already it's brought the tank temp up to 74° and once it stabilizes at 78° then it's time to shut the Tetra off and trash the sucker. Well, it has a two year warranty on it so I'm taking it back to my LFS and getting a store credit for it. Maybe I'll use it just to get another backup Smart Heater (or maybe a nice Black Moor or ten)?

Anyhow, these Rena SmartHeaters really work well. And while I was at the LFS I picked up a medium size Skunk Cory Cat for my Cory Cat herd. He's calmly acclimating now as I type. Neat little Corys, my first one! I'm sure he'll be welcomed with open barbels and fins. :tomato:

Edited by blackteles

Nice!! I hate heaters, I'm so glad the goldis don't really NEED one. Just got it in there so the temperature doesn't fall under 68.

But the NEW heater in the betta tank that I got my mother in law already is not working anymore. I gotta find the receipt and take it back to the LFS. We have that thing for not even a month, but two days ago I noticed that the temperature is only 72 in the betta tank.

Good that my used 55 gallon tank came with three heaters. I thought there weren't two but a week ago I found the cheap tote that I took with me back then. I had it crammed underneath a small cabinet/table and forgotten about it. It had most of the ornaments from the tank and another heater, a brand new tetra whisper heater for 75 gallon tanks. Unpacked but the cord was still wrapped up neatly with the little wire wrapper. That saved me for now :D

Anyway, good for you that you found this and got the new fish! Now I want to see pics of your tropical tank / fish etc :D

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Just an update...two hours and the Rena heater brought the tank up to an easy 78? without a hitch. It's now turned itself off since the desired temperature's been reached and the Tetra heater's been unplugged and will be removed. Tropicals are all doing just fine. I like it when things come together! ;)

:o That quickly? I might have to get one. It is taking way too darn long for the stealth to heat up my tank after a water change. :yeah: I like that idea of getting a little moor.

Yep Tay...FAST! These SmartHeaters rock! I'm going to get a few more as backups. I knew you'd jump at the moor comment lol. ;)

• Supporter

i was told to buy a heater with my 66gal. only problem is we don't get really cold winters here, i mean, they get cold, but we never see snow. so i've never needed to use it. can't even remember where i stashed it :blink: (no smart comments required!)