The Ocd In Me.

Okey so the 30Gal just started getting YUCKY green/brown gunky algae growing between the glass and silicone of the floor. It makes me CRAZY! I tried brushing it away but nothing so far manages to reach in. :wall I am planning to try a toothbrush next w/c.

But is this stuff actually harmful for the fish? I am extra careful because it is Dr.House's tank so I need to keep nasties under control.

I get just a little bit of green growing in between the silicone and glass on the side seams. It's like underneath the actual silicone. I wouldn't think there's any space there, but apparently there is! I scrub at it and some comes off, but I'm careful not to scrub it too hard because I don't want to damage the silicone and have 75 gallons of water leaking all over the floor of our 3rd floor apartment! lol

Dang it you guys, do not reward that kind of behavior!

I'm guessing since aquarium silicone contains no mildewicide, it'll grow algae or mold under the right condtions. The Dow Corning 795 Building Sealant that I built my 70G with will get a slimy coat of algae starting to grow in it. The sealant is black, so the algae doesn't really show. I have a soft wash cloth that's dedicated to tank cleaning and I use it to wipe down the glass on the inside, as well as clean the surface of the sealant.