Urgent! Should I Get This?

number20121

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/for/2081770488.html

I don't care so much for the 50 gallon tank as I don't have room to set it up right now, so it would probably be stored in the shed for now, but the filter system, uv sterilizer etc sound good if they are still working.

Should I get it?

Nah. I wouldn't. You should be fine with what you have now. Don't go out and get something just for the sake of having it. :yeah: Plus that much better deal will come along sooner or later.

The thing is, I don't know how good those items are. Like the Emperor Aquatics 18 watt UV sterilize, I don't know if this is strong enough for my 55 gallon tank if I ever need it.

Or the Americale wet/dry filter system (good for up to 125 gallon tank), I don't know how these filters work but it would be nice to have an additional filter for just a little bit of money.

I was just thinking that all this for 50 bucks does sound pretty good, even if I don't need it right now, you know?

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

If you are wanting a uv light that one is just fine for a 55 gallon. If it works. Take something so you can set it up and run the filters before you buy it. Good deal for just the filters.

That UV looks pretty good to me. Not at all like those cheapy ones you find at pet stores.

http://www.xeniainc.com/emperor-aquatics/468-emperor-aquatics-smart-uv-lite-18-watt.php

p.s. the seller says you will need an "overflow box". I'm not sure what that is, but I think you should look into that and see how much it will cost you.

Edited by Sakura

My two cents, Ms Fang:

A heck of a deal! If it was me, I'd only take the tank and the lights and probably the sterilizer. The rest of the equipment I'd either resell or make him an offer on just the specific equipment that I wanted. I have my own personal preferences for my aquarium and after buying two tanks through Craigslist I found I ended up buying my own new equipment anyhow. ;)

I'm just sayin... :tomato:

Thanks! I emailed the seller and asked if it is still available. I'd even love to have the tank, even without being able to set it up right now, but eventually I am sure I will be able to. :yeah:

EDIT: And the seller lives only like maybe 45 minutes away from me!

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Thanks! I emailed the seller and asked if it is still available. I'd even love to have the tank, even without being able to set it up right now, but eventually I am sure I will be able to. :yeah:

EDIT: And the seller lives only like maybe 45 minutes away from me!

HAHA, ONLY?! That's forever away for me, I won't go further than 10/15 mins, do you live in the country?

enesta, I'm roughly estimating it. And for a good deal I don't mind driving a bit :D

Not exactly living in the country, but Fort Mill is the next town. Let me go check google maps how far it really is...

Ok, according to google maps the town is only 20 minutes away :D

I agree with everyone...GET IT! It will help for the future cases of enabling.

:stop

That's not what I'd get it for. I want to UPGRADE to offer especially Hugo a much longer tank eventually, if possible. Although it probably wouldn't hurt to separate the singles from the fancies, which I could do with the 50 gallon tank. But again, I got no room to set this thing up right now anyway :undecided:

How about that kind of filter. How does a wet/dry filter work? *goes googling*

Would that be a problem? Or can I just go online or LFS and look for any 18w UV bulb and replace it?

And how to I check if the uv sterilizer works? Like filling that tank, plugging the sterilizer in and... ? *total n00b*

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I think you have to buy the bulb from the same company. But they all make replacement bulbs. They need to be replaced yearly, and the manufacturers know that, so they always sell replacement bulbs.

I think you have to buy the bulb from the same company. But they all make replacement bulbs. They need to be replaced yearly, and the manufacturers know that, so they always sell replacement bulbs.

Gotcha. I'm so glad you're here because I know you have personal experience with it :D How do I test if it still works? I have never seen a UV sterilizer in person, so it would be like trying to drive without ever getting driving lessons :krazy:

Most of them have a little see-through area so you can tell that the bulb is on. It's pretty cool. You will want to set it all up first without the light bulb plugged into it and run it for about half an hour to make sure it's not going to leak. You can roll up a paper towel and place that inside the quartz sleeve (where the bulb goes) to make sure it stays dry in there. Then you can put the bulb in and you're set! But like Federica said, you'll definitely want to buy a new bulb as soon as you can. Who knows how old the bulb will be when you get it. The replacement bulbs can sometimes be expensive, so before you buy the set-up you might want to search for the specific bulb you'll need to buy and see how much it is.

I think you can check if a bulb still works by color - it has to be really bright cyan. But since you have to replace it once a year it is probable you need to change it :)

18Watt sounds good for the size tank you have.

I am getting an 18Watt for my 85Gal and a 25Watt for the 200Gal.

Thanks, Sakura! I tried looking for the UV sterilizer itself and find it for 200 bucks online :o

I'm searching for the cost of replacement bulbs right now. As said, I wouldn't even use the sterilizer yet unless my fish would become sick or whatever.

I'm so excited!! The seller just wrote me back:

I do still have everything. The pumps, sterilizer and filter worked great when I tested them and cleaned everything about a month ago. I would like everything to go if possible so I don't have to try and get rid of the tank as well.

Now I gotta convince Hubby :D

Oh and I like it when the sellers have basic knowledge of grammar, spelling and punctuation.

I always get kind of :hmm when a seller writes like this (this is an actual ad on craigslist!!)

hello we have a 150 gallon tank works great just tired of it now wanting something different. it is the canopy style tank an it will come with everything including the 12 fish all fancy tail gold fish we have about 200 just in the fish please email me or text if intrested

Like, really? It just seems unprofessional to me. I know they're just normal people but if you want to sell something to others, try to not look like you just crawled out of a cave.

Maybe it's because I used to work as a secretary/office clerk at a real estate management agency for almost 10 years, maybe I got spoiled there LMAO!

The replacement bulb is available on ebay right now, including shipping it comes to about $ 60. Not too bad either, I guess.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

$60 for an 18 watt UV bulb? Are you sure it's the right one? I just ask because the replacement bulb for my 25 watt powerhouse is only $54.99.

Oh never mind! I just saw you wrote "including shipping". Makes sense now! :doh11:

Edited by Sakura

:D I find the bulb itself on several websites for around $ 45.

Seller has written me back again and the tank - according to the dimensions - is a 55 long. I know it doesn't hold 55 gallons, but I just feel like mentioning that it is a tad bigger than the guy said.

I'm SO annoyed though that I don't have room to set this up. Not that I mind the almost tripled maintenance/water changes in my currently overstocked tank as with a second tank I'd have to do only one water change weekly, but then in two tanks so it still is the same amount of work. But the conditions in the tank would probably be nicer.

As great as my water params are and as healthy as all my fish are, dividing them up would sure do them good.

I'd probably move the single tails and the pleco into the new tank after cycling it and after making sure there is enough algae in it for the pleco to start out. I know, Sucky Fishie shouldn't be with goldfish but there is nothing else I can do right now as I really don't want to get rid of her. Plus the single tails are faster and so in case my pleco will ever try to nibble on their slime coat, they'd be faster and could defend themselves better as both of them are bigger than the pleco.

They'd get the cave and the piece of driftwood and the river rocks, and the fancy tank would be decorated with these pretty colored glass marbles and a couple nice tall plants...

And if she'd ever be a brat like that I could technically emergency-wise put the singles back in with the fancies and keep the pleco by herself in the other tank until I get a 125 tank for the goldis, then move the tropicals in the other 55 and use their 20 as hospital tank. Or move the small tropicals in with sucky fishie in the 55 and move only the single tails and two of the faster/stronger fancies in the 125 while the other fancies stay in the 55.

Gah, I'm imagining and thinking too much right now :whatjust:

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

There's gotta be a way you can manage to set it up! You know, I think they make stands that can hold two 55 gallon tanks- one on top of the other. If your floors are strong enough, maybe that would be an option.

If there wasn't the fact that this is a big family house with two generations living together, and the house belongs to my hubby's parents. Even though we rented the downstairs part, his mom would throw an epic fit over it.

We're currently trying to improve as much as possible so we can get our own place, but with the current economy and my hubby working at wally world and me working at another grocery store it really is difficult. My hubby's brother is living in the house for almost two years now too, rented part of upstairs.

Hubby is graphic designer and as mentioned before I used to work in the office of a real estate agency, but it is so hard to get some decently paying jobs right now :( :( :(

Nonetheless I'm running around with a measuring tape in my hand right now :whistle

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang