Which Plants Help Lower Ntirates

sasha

thanks im just worried about the level of nitrates , and how to lower them thanks

my reading today wer .5 amonian my nitrite has gone to o and 40 ppm nitrate

right gotta go to work now

Are there any plants that goldfish usually dom't eat? The only plant that lasted longer than a month with them was Kyoto Grass but even that eventually got gobbled on. I have tried only few different plants yet as they are quite costly for "snacks".

Oerba, I've learned that my fish won't eat healthy plants. Not sure about yours, but mine will only eat the weaker, dying leaves. Often when you buy plants from the store they aren't in good shape, so it's a good idea to keep them separate from the fish and let them recuperate a bit before adding them to the tank. I tried this with anacharis- they always chewed the leaves down to the nub. I believe this was because the anacharis you buy at the store is usually cut at both ends so the main stem is dying. I kept the stems in a jar outdoors for a while and the main stems melted and died, but new shoots grew out of the sides and when I put them in the tank the fish didn't eat them.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: and to answer the OP's question, I've found that the best plants to lower nitrates are fast growing stem plants such as anacharis and hornwort. I'd suggest anacharis instead though, because hornwort is messy when it sheds its leaves.

Edited by Calluna

While ANY plant will help with nitrates (and the more you have, the better) I recall reading somewhere that onion plants are good at lowering them... with the bonus of being as goldie-resistant as any self-respecting plant can be. ;)

• Admin

True but they require more lighting than the other plants mentioned so far. I use to have Onion plants, Java fern, Anubias and swords when i had a planted goldfish tank, trust me the onion plant is harder and the Swords are too.

The best plants are the Java fern and the Anubias plants :)

thanks ,i got amazon swords and i dont think theyre doing too well. i have the anarchis and some other plant. im going to get some java fern as soon as this winter snow has gone, too far to go to my lfs,x

well since putting more plants in about 2 weeks ago, the last three days my nitrate levles arfe coming down .3 days ago the colour was between 20ppm and 40ppm ,so i guess it was 30ppm. and today its nearer 20ppm, yippeee

also my nitrites for the last 2 weeks have been 0

but my amonia is just below 0.5 .i dont understand what my cycle is doing now , any ideas thanks

well since putting more plants in about 2 weeks ago, the last three days my nitrate levles arfe coming down .3 days ago the colour was between 20ppm and 40ppm ,so i guess it was 30ppm. and today its nearer 20ppm, yippeee

also my nitrites for the last 2 weeks have been 0

but my amonia is just below 0.5 .i dont understand what my cycle is doing now , any ideas thanks

Are you using the drop test kit? I noticed and read from others that the ammonia never shows a bright yellow as on the chart, even with actual 0 ammonia in the water. Maybe that makes part of it?

Anything else you changed in the tank that could cause a slight cycle bump? Even removing some gravel can do this.

hi oerba

i use api master test kit ,the drops one

and my amonia has always shown .5.. the tank has been set up a month now.its a green colour not the yellow.

i did have some nitrite after a few days in the beg, reading .5 ,then it went down to .25 then down again to o .

my tap water has a reading of .25 amonia.and 0 for nitrites.

i havent added anything different to the tank apart from the plants. thanks.

• Admin

Any dieing plant debri will make ammonia, and if you have ammonia out of the tap it will always show up in the tank. I have this same problem out of the tap its .25 and in my tank its always .25. :(

hi koko i took out dying plant debris the other day.

i do about 50% water change each day.

i am going to but some java fern if i can find any at the weekend, hopefully it will bring down the nitrates even more.

i was just worried about the amonia level for my fish .

i do use prime each water change also, and he seems to be doing fine.

do you think i should feed less.i give 3 small feedings a day. x

Edited by sumer

hi sumer,

all that you have described sounds just fine and the only thing needed is patience. water changes are good . filter is a chambered box thing inside tank?

if you are concerned about ammonia the true aquatic plants will help. Aquatic plants for the most part prefer to use nitrogen in the ammonium ion form, not nitrate. They will use nitrate if they have to but if given a choice it will sift the water looking for ammonium. The reason your nitrates will come down with aquatic plants is because it uses the ammonium completely, leaving nothing to be converted to nitrite and nitrate. If it is the nitrate you are after then i can suggest terrestrial plants as their preferred form of nitrogen is nitrate. What i do is take a clipping of a plant such as ivy that can root hydroponically and stick that in the tank or better yet in the chamber of a HOB filter. This makes a refugium for nitrate reduction without aquatic plants involved. Hope this helps :)