Mistake? Bringing Two 6" Comets In For Winter!

Hey All ...

Did I make a mistake in bringing two of my 5 1/2 " 3 yr old Comets in for the Winter to help brighten up my Winter? I am sure my N cycle is complete but the Nitrates are so high I cannot keep up! ... I am hardly feeding them at all at this time and changing H20 almost everyother day. I tried to get my 55 gallon tank in shape before bringing them in. It will be 6 weeks tommorrow ..... I cannot imagine doing this thoughout the entire Winter ... Is there some hope for this ... any advise will be appreciated ...

I have Fluval 305 for filter. I just installed the media that came with it. My Amonia and Nitrites are now down at or near zero... I have been doing a 20% water change about everyother day during the first few weeks then about every 5 days ... I found out last week that my test strips were defective and were not reading Nitrate. Since then I have done two 20% changes. The Nitrates are just above 20 now. I have been feeding these fish HiKari pelets (soaked mini) but for the past week they have been huddled in the bottom corner and will hardly come out to eat anything. I have only been putting in a few pellets once a day for the past week or so. For the first 5 weeks or so my fish seemed very happy in this tank. were even exibiting mating behavior. My PH is about 7.5 ...it was at 6.6 about a week ago ... when I added about 1/4 pound crushed coral to the filter media. Actually that is when the trouble started. I really wish I did not do that now because it just confuses the situation.

Thanks for all of you help ...

I don't think it's the coral as it's probably helping with the higher pH. I think the nitrates are the problem. I would try doing a 50% daily to get those nitrates down. See if that helps. Sometimes fish are sensitive to nitrates :idont: How big is the tank again?