Padme's Improvement, But Vent Is Now Red

Sakura

I had been watching Padme closely for about a month, because it seemed like she was slightly swollen and the scales were just the teeniest bit prickly behind her gills. Also she was pretty floaty and had a hard time getting around. Then one day I came home to find her stuck to the filter intake, and her fins totally shredded. I got her unstuck and left her in the main tank to heal. But then she began to swell up more (concentrated behind the gills) and I noticed definite pineconing, so I put her in a 10 gallon cyceld QT tank with .1% salt and began feeding her Metromeds. At first there was no improvement, but after about four days I began to see the scales go down just a bit. Now it's been about a week, and her scales look almost totally flat. I was cautiously optimistic about her recovery, but then while taking photos after doing an 80% water change, I realized her vent is pretty red looking. Also her belly feels slightly mushy. Photos of the vent are below, here is her progression in photos:

After getting stuck on the filter:

e010.jpg

The stringy shredded parts fell away and it was more of a clean cut:

e015.jpg

Looking swollen in her QT:

f024.jpg

But the tail wasn't looking any worse:

h003.jpg

Definitely pineconed in her QT:

m003-1.jpg

Today, swelling is down, scales seem flat, and her tail is really filling in well:

o007.jpg

But the vent is red:

o008.jpg

o011.jpg

So I could start epsom salt, but I'd have to wait for a couple hours and do another big water change to get all the regular salt out for sure. But I don't know if epsom is really necessary, because she's no longer swollen at all. Also, the vent very well could have been really red before and I just didn't notice. So maybe it actually looks better now than it did at first. Maybe I'll just add epsom later if she seems to swell up more. Thoughts/opinions welcome :)

Edited by Sakura

I think her color looks MUCH better - the pics are taken with same light right? She had really gotten very pale.

I am unsure about the epson. For sure it wold help if it is egg related. But if it is some sort of irritation the normal salt is good.

Are you sure about the mushy abdomen?

So I could start epsom salt, but I'd have to wait for a couple hours and do another big water change to get all the regular salt out for sure. But I don't know if epsom is really necessary, because she's no longer swollen at all. Also, the vent very well could have been really red before and I just didn't notice. So maybe it actually looks better now than it did at first. Maybe I'll just add epsom later if she seems to swell up more.

The thing is, she's not swollen at all anymore. If she was impacted, I think the swelling would still be there, wouldn't it?

Fed, yes the abdomen is mushy. Not swollen, but mushy on the very bottom.

Edited by Sakura

I don't know. Poppins was swollen and then she seemed to have lost the pinecone as she was pooping out the zigzag poop.

how is her poop?

But what else except eggs would cause a red vent? :idont

oh the mushiness isn't good....

I don't know, but I'm not saying it's not eggs. I'm saying it probably was, but maybe the vent is actually looking better now than it was before and I just never noticed it was red before. Because today it was only by chance that I did notice it. And I actually don't think it looks too bad compared to some egg-impacted vent photos I've seen.

Her poo is like normal goldfish poo. Not zig-zaggy.

I think she's on the mend anyways, since the pineconing and bloating is gone, but I might try to add a small dose of epsom if I have time to do another water change tonight. I wonder what the mushy belly means though.

I think especially her color is a real good sign.

Yea I have seen some terribly swollen vents. Hopefully it is like you say.

Hopefully the mushiness is a left over of the impaction. How long has she been on MMs.?

Actually, on second thought I think her poo has seemed a little stringy lately. I figured she might be having a hard time because of the pellet food. I do pre-soak it for a while before feeding it to her. But still, it's clearly not going to be as easily digested as the gel food she's used to..

I am doing 2 weeks for Poppins. But the vet did tell me that most effect should be seen in the first week.

Yea Poppins first had the squiggly, then it got very fat, now today she had stringy one. I think eventually they get a little constipated? I will feed her a pea tomorrow as well to try and help her. I also soak it but it doesn't solve all it seems.

Yup also Poppins is really happy. I think that is a good sign. I am just worried because she started to fade her color a bit, that is why Padme's color is so good. :)

Just wrote on your original thread about Padme then popped over to this one. :-)

I think it's an excellent sign that the pineconing has gone down and personally if it were me I wouldn't change a thing. The fact that she is improving is so great so if it were me I would just continue with the salt the way it is and the Metromeds for 14 days. (I've done 30 days before on a fish who had dropsied actually on a few occasions).. I don't see any harm though in your switching out the regular salt and trying a bit of epsom if that makes you feel better... I just tend to be more of a "leave well enough alone" person and since she is doing so well I would hate to change anything..

I've had fish with the mushy belly after dropsying before and it seemed to get better the longer the fish was on Metromeds so I would see how it is after another week or so and hopefully it will be improved.

Thanks for the advice Sue! I think I will just leave her be for a while (but keep going with the MM's), and if she seems worse I can always try epsom then. It's good to know I can do up to 30 days with the MM's if I need to. :)

I am guessing that her vent is healing and she had issues with rebsorbing eggs weakening her and getting her stuck in the filter and stressing her more. Regardless...it is just a guess. The good news is that she is looking so much better!

• 3 weeks later...

Well in the end, I don't think Padme's going to make it. Her scales went down after a week on mm's, and I continued them for another week after that. Her scales looked totally flat and there was no bloating, so I stopped the mm's. She was great (well aside from some minor floatiness) for a little while, but then she started looking bloated behind her gills. Now she is beginning to pinecone again. She doesn't look so good; she just drifts around kind of head-down in the tank. She still has an appetite and her fins are getting better. But I have seen this too many times to have any hope now, she is following the exact same pattern as my other fish who all died from this.

For me this has been a very common pattern with dropsy- the fish will improve after the first round of antibiotic food, but then relapse and die no matter what meds I try. It's heartbreaking, but I think that the best thing for everyone at this point is to put her down with clove oil sometime in the near future :(

I'm really scared that whatever bug that has caused this in all my fish is still lurking somewhere in my 75g tank waiting to infect all my beauties in there. I guess all I can do is hope not. I already have a massive UV on that tank, so there's not much else I can do.

I'm so sorry Sakura. :hug I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this before, but have you ever had your tap water tested? I remember someone telling me once about all these problems he was having in his tanks, he lost a lot of his fish before he found what the trouble was. It turned out something was wrong with his apartments plumbing. I've been trying to remember what it was but I can't. It might be worth having your water checked since this problem keeps happening for no logical reason.

I'm not sure where to turn to in the States. Here in Canada there are a few labs who will test the water for contaminants and also bacteria. It does end up being a bit expensive.

If I were you I would do a seach on the internet. Just type in 'getting your water tested' and then you search in the results for your state or city. That should turn something up. Or else maybe ask around in some stores specializing in aquariums. Sometimes they will know where to go. :undecided:

I actually got Padme in August from a local koi show. So there was no shipping involved, just a quick drive home with me :) She has always been totally healthy up until I put Fuu in the main tank and Momo and everyone else started getting sick. I guess even then Padme was okay, but I think that's when she was exposed to this stuff. So all those fish died, and it was just her, Toad, and Ino left. And then a couple weeks later, Padme started getting really floaty and slightly bloated behind the gills. Then she got stuck to the filter intake and the scales really lifted, so I finally put her in QT where she has been ever since.

Next week I'll look into getting the water tested. I'm curious to know- perhaps there's something in the water that's not even good for us to be drinking!