Ammonia Spike

npila1

I set up a "naughty tank" about a month ago and I had added gravel from my established tank to it as well as stresszyme (API) to speed up the cycle. Since I set it up, my water tests always showed 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates, until today. My ammonia was at 0.5-1 ppm (!!!) but I did a water change and added prime 2 days ago and I read that prime binds ammonia for 2 days, so hopefully it wasn't harming my common (Sparkle)? :( As soon as I saw this I did a large water change (and added prime to the new water).

So here are my questions:

1) Why am I getting the ammonia NOW? Based on what I know about the nitrogen cycle, this doesn't make sense.

2) Will he be ok with water changes every 2 days given that I add prime to the new water every time?

3) On the Prime bottle it says that it binds ammonia and detoxifies nitrites and nitrates. Do these still show up on water tests even when bound/detoxified?

Thanks!

Any thoughts/advice??? I want to know if he'll be ok and healthy with water changes every 2 days (with prime added) with ammonia at 0.5 ppm...

I would test your water daily to ensure that ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0.0. I don't count on Prime to remove ammonia...only to decrease the level. Water changes will be your best bet to keep the levels down but keep adding Prime at the recommended amounts. Low levels of ammonia and nitrites won't stress your fish if you test your parameters and change water if necessary on a daily basis.

I would test your water daily to ensure that ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0.0. I don't count on Prime to remove ammonia...only to decrease the level. Water changes will be your best bet to keep the levels down but keep adding Prime at the recommended amounts. Low levels of ammonia and nitrites won't stress your fish if you test your parameters and change water if necessary on a daily basis.

Agree completely. Until, your amonia and nitrites are under control, I would test twice a day. That way you can get a handle on what is going on with the water parameters.

I am one of the few people on this board who will not use Prime. I am NOT in any way saying it is not a great product or that you shouldn't use it.

My issue with Prime probably was a result of ME relying on it improperly. And this comes from someone who is familiar with cycling and has tested water for years.

Just be extra cautious.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I've kept ammonia at 0.25 ppm with large daily water changes and now nitrite is starting to rise (less than .25 but higher than 0). Unfortunately, he has some bloody streaks on his caudal fin now, but hopefully they will go away with better water quality :(

What else can I do to improve water quality/speed up the cycle? I have stresszyme - does that help? I also remember reading that it's good to add aquarium salt when nitrites build up because it alleviates the bad effects of nitrites - is this true?

Here ya go!

And I quote from Koko's Cycling of the tank article:

quarium salt will help your goldfish deal with the nitrites that will invariably be hanging out in your tanks water for a while. As you read above, the nitrites will hamper your goldfish from recieving enough oxygen to their bloodstream. Salt will act as a buffer and make life a lot easier for them. its important to remember that salt cannot be filtered out, or evaporate from the water. the only way to remove it is to do waterchanges without it. That is why extra care must be given to the amount that your putting in.

FishYou can add aquarium salt to the tune of 2 1/2 level teaspoons per us gallon. At first, youll want to bring them to this level slowly. The best way to do this is to get the ammonia to 1ppm or less and the nitrites to 2ppm or less, then you can start adding salt. You can continue to add salt until the tests register 0 for nitrites (up to 30 days with tank temp in the upper 70's). The initial addition of salt should be split up into three additions if waterchanges are more than 50% a day. If they are somewhat minimal, you can begin adding the 2 1/2 teaspoons per gallon to the gallonage that your adding back to the tank. basically, you are trying to make the salinity rise somewhat slowly so as not to stress your goldfish even further.

Thanks Koko well done :) !

Thanks for the reply! So, just to clarify, it says to split up the initial addition into 3 doses - how much time should there be between each dose? 12 hours/1 day?

Edited by npila1

I believe the addition is once every 12 hours...Koko can clarify for me.

I know that when you are salting at 0.3% for ich or other parasites, you add it in 3 doses every 12 hours... It's probably the same for this, but I wasn't sure.