Gill Plate Booboo

shellbell4ever

So as most of you know I got 3 new baby lionheads earlier this week for my Birthday :) :) Anyway the darkest one (No Names yet :( open to suggestions in the 3's ;)) has some of his right gill missing :( I don't know if this is something that will cause a problem down the road?or in the near future?if it will grow back?or even heal up? they are all being prazied and at 3% salt currently :) Any input on this would be much appreciated :) Thanks in advance :)

Here's a few pic's

ctmpphpxI6oOc.jpgctmpphplsiQWn.jpg

ctmpphpDi2N0K.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Edited by shellbell4ever

It looks like he was born that way. Have you seen Beancurdturtle's Ferrero Rocher. She was born with a deformation like that. Little Zelda's gillplate is outturned a bit and she's just fine. I think your baby should be fine as long as there's nothing sharp in the tank. Fortunately for you his gills look extremely healthy.

Sure looks like a birth defect to me...I don't believe that it would pose a problem, Shell. Now if you had a sand substrate I would think that would cause irritation and you don't have to worry about that. His gills do look nice and red which is a good sign that he's feeling good. I think he'll do fine in your good care. ;)

It looks like a curled gillplate to me. Many fish are born this way and if they aren't culled you can find them for sale. It usually doesn't bother them and if the look of it doesn't bother you then I wouldn't worry. I love this little ones coloring. Very pretty.

....at 3% salt currently :) Any input on this would be much appreciated :) Thanks in advance :)

Input:

is that 3% salt is about the max that an adult goldfish can handle and only for about 5 minutes or so. so you are putting those fish at very high risk if you dip for much longer.