Does Anyone Know What This Is?

Over the past month or so, Steve Urkel, my Celestial, has gotten some weird swelling on his right eye. It seems to come and go. Today it is quite swollen so I thought I would show you guys.

I am not sure if it could be popeye? It started in the 85Gal and now he is in the 30Gal with Dr.House. The tank is spotless and the filter was cleaned last week. (params are all 0 and pH stable at 8,2). It only ever happens on this right side eye. Oh and he is acting totally happy and active.

Otherwise I thought he could have bashed his eye (it happens) and it gets swollen? But I don't think it would come and go like this.

What do you guys think? Should I just try salting the tank at 0.1% ?

DSCN3494.jpg

DSCN3493.jpg

DSCN3488.jpg

DSCN3487.jpg

DSCN3486.jpg

DSCN3485.jpg

DSCN3484.jpg

DSCN3483.jpg

That's an extra little totally clear bubble sac yes?

Comes and goes? Yes?

Something about these bubble eyes that make them prone to eye swellings and eye quirks I have to say..it doesn't look like disease or pop-eye.

I think I have seen something like this before here, let me have a think :hmm.

hey Imo!

Yea it is like a little bubble comes and goes - same place every time.

He obviously is prone to 'daredevil' swimming as he can't see where he goes :rofl - but it is unlikely he is bumping the SAME place on the SAME eye every time.

Oh no Miki... Imagine - this would be the proof he is the perfect tank mate for Dr.House and her HUGE mutant eyes! :lol1

Hi Capt :D

oh I just remembered where I heard about this!!!! Fumi's fish :P yes...his oranda developed an eye bubble!! It just kind of grew on his eye like he was turning into a bubble eye and then eventually it disappeared. But it was a hanging little bubble just like this I am sure. And I also think there have been other fish...

I don't think its to worry about hun if he is behaving well, I think its a genetic mutation kind of thingy :)

Genetic Mutant Fish N2! This is the effect of hanging out with Dr.House too long! :rofl :rofl :rofl

No no he is acting great! Today he even discovered the purpose of the veggie clip!!! :rockon

Well there you go. Very high IQ :rofl Nothing essentially wrong with his genome! Dr House will be called to answer all farther questions :tomuch:

Seriously, if its not bleeding and its a simple clear bubble shape I would expect it will eventually disappear for good just as it suddenly appeared, and is nothing to worry about.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey shell!

Well he is living with his bubble. It has grown since I last posted and disappeared already 2x. Right now he is bubble-free, but I can see it forming already. I am not sure if it pops when it is gone. I have them in with 0.1% salt incase that is what happens. It is red or irritation free - looks sort of like a little blister.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to update this thread with some pictures. I have been keeping a very close eye on the little guy and managed to take some good pics. So, ever since the last update the bubble grew and popped once and then regrew - the first 2 pics are of what it looked like yesterday - after around 2-3weeks of growing. The last 2 are what it looked like this morning - it seems to have popped overnight.

Doing a water change and adding salt. Any idea how this can be helped?

DSCN3871.jpg

DSCN3868.jpg

DSCN3873.jpg

DSCN3874.jpg

it doesn't seem to bother him too much as far as I can tell.

Awww poor Baby! He kind of looked funny with one bubble eye! Urkel is the reason why - whenever I get me a 125 and divide the fish up by eye impaired in the 55g and rest in 125g - I would love to add a Celestial in the 55g with Blacky, Lily, Chibi and Banana (I know Banana isn't eye impaired but she and Chibi are BFFs).

Hey Fang. Yea poor guy looked totally pathetic! It doesn't seem to affect him tho!

You should get a celestial tho! He is the sweetest little thing! He is finally starting to put on some weight. I feel a bit bad having him in the 30gal all alone. But I am not too sure I want to buy another petstore fish as it seems here they are all stunted :( I like giving them a nice home but it breaks my heart every time they get sick.

I hear you. That sucks. Aren't there many pet stores in Switzerland? Wait, didn't you say that most fancy goldfish are not being sold there or so? Why?

I know in Austria we had different breeds of fish in petstores, maybe you should check there if it isn't too far away for you? But I'm not sure how the petstore situation is in Vorarlberg, which is closest to you. Wien might be a bit far away...

Raingarden has this REEEAAALLY cute almost all white Celestial. I saw him the other day and wished I already had the 125g, room, and money :D

I love that one http://www.raingarden.us/6559a.JPG

oh that guys is adorable! I love the short finned varieties! They have nice strong tails :) He also has a nice belly! I wish I could find a buddy like that for Stevie!

Well the issue in Switzerland is that there is only 1 main supplier to the petstores! All the petstores are of the same chain (at least the ones that sell live animals). So you can't really stay clear of that importer. They never import good quality fish. All my petstore fish have either single anals, fused tails, or are just runts :( (they are sold at about 5-8cm and you never know if it is because they are young or because they are just not going to grow). I really don't mind the aesthetic flaws - but when it messes with their health it becomes a problem :( For example my ranchus are the ones growing the most - but in 6months they maybe put on 1-2cm. WHich is really little.

The fancy varieties are only sold in either the french or italian speaking parts - the German part only sells commons/comets or fantails.

I should check in Austria.

• 1 month later...

update on my strange fishie!!!

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0-5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.4

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.4 (water aged before w/c)

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? 24C

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 30Gals running a few months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? CristalProfi canister (10x turnover) with spraybar

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? usually 50-75% once a week. But now everytime the eye ballon 'pops' so maybe 2x- 3x a week 50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 - munchkin Steve and Poppins which is medium sized

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? once - 2x a day. Hikari pellets, gel, veggies and frozen foods

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? nah

[*]Any medications added to the tank? salt everytime the bubble 'pops'

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? the bubble on steve's right eye.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? nah

Okey so things are progressing. I was just looking at the old pics and the bubble now grows WAY huger!!!!! Just a few days ago he had it 3x the size of his eye ball! (meaning the entire celestial eye size) then it popped and already started growing back the next day. In the beginning the cycle was much slower. Here it is a constant grow/ pop/ grow/ pop etc. I do frequent water changes to try and get the crap out and salt whenever it pops for a few days. Even tried keeping the salt in but it didn't prevent the bubble from forming :(

It is always ONLY the right eye and the same place that just regrows. When it pops part of the broken skin will flap around. For example the bubble now has part of the old bubble skin in the front.

Bubble is always totally clear - can't see nothing funky inside it. build must be clear.

any ideas guys? I am starting to feel quite bad for him. Especially the other day when he had that HUGE one! I am not sure if it is the 'bubble eye' gene as it wouldn't be popping all the time. If it was pop eye it would also affect the other eye right? I am not sure if trying some medicated food is a good idea at this point. He cannot continue like this poor guy :(

:( Jeez. I'm sorry about Urkel. I was just reading through this thread and I can't BELIEVE that his bubble gets bigger than it was already! :thud

Maybe you could get a vet-type person to have a gander at it? Through pics or otherwise. For now you're doing everything right, keeping the tank clean and salted.. :dont

I hope he gets better.. :(

Vet has no idea. last time he came over he said it was a cyst and to just let it be. but he doesn't know it keep popping and coming back. :(

Ugh, that SUCKS! :(

Google-searching doesn't help much either, as the term bubble brings up bubble eye fish as well as celestials.

Maybe you should look into locating another professional who'd be willing to take a look at Urkel..