10G Suggestions?

Deku

hey guys. My dad is getting me this 10-15gallon tank. And I dont know what type of fish I can put in it.

I dont mind if its a species only, a specimen only, or a community tank.

here is what I like:

-Round

-Lots of personality(follows your fingers around, and begs. I used to have a brackishwater puffer from nnnnnn once. But it died. but I liked it)

-Adorable to look at(adorable face and all).

Favorite fish:

-Goldfish

-Pufferfish

-Mollies

-Cichlids

-Eels

I am not limited to fish btw. I just want something aquatic. Id go for a frog or a newt or a crab or shrimp or lobster. I just want to get a huge list of options of whatI can safely put in a 10-15g

Sorry just not a huge list of options for something that small.

Guppies

A school of small tetra's.

A couple of dwarf frogs if it is excape proof.

Male betta

pair of rams

dwarf puffer fish

3 mollies.

Be sure to stock slow and if you plant the tank with TONS of plants. So many you don't think you can add any more. Then after it has been up and going a few months you can add more fish just be sure to add only a couple at a time and stick to small fish.

betta plus bamboo/flower shrimp would be great with a HEAVILY planted tank and make sure you got some moss balls as well. maybe evren a vampire shrimp as well but they are a bit more $$$ then bamboo/flower shrimp. bettas love attention and get really excited especially before feeding, well mine have always at least.

a school of tetras would be cool, or a school of rasboras. i think a crayfish would be fine. platies are okie, so are mollies but im no fan. guppies i dislike a lot, but up to you. i think though that a small tank like that stocked with shrimp and a nice betta would be great. some moss balls and plants and bam. great looking tank. as for plants though if you go live (which i would say looks a lot better than plastic) if you got stock lighting, then low light plants like java ferns, java moss, anubias, moss balls and crypts will do fine. if you want to get more variety then you would need to get a set of maybe T5 high output lights which i would suggest for sure if you want good plants. a light fixture for a tank that size will be cheap, which is a plus. i just invested 200 plus on a light fixture plus a glass top for my tank as the stock lights were not strong enough for my plants.. which in turn made a lot of them slowly die off. luckily got the lights and they are just doing amazaing.

i went a bit overboard, but all ideas, just brainstorming. a small school would look great, just as good as a betta and shrimp. though i feel betta plus shrimp show off a more relaxing feel in comparison to school of fish. up to you.

betta plus bamboo/flower shrimp would be great with a HEAVILY planted tank and make sure you got some moss balls as well. maybe evren a vampire shrimp as well but they are a bit more $$$ then bamboo/flower shrimp. bettas love attention and get really excited especially before feeding, well mine have always at least.

a school of tetras would be cool, or a school of rasboras. i think a crayfish would be fine. platies are okie, so are mollies but im no fan. guppies i dislike a lot, but up to you. i think though that a small tank like that stocked with shrimp and a nice betta would be great. some moss balls and plants and bam. great looking tank. as for plants though if you go live (which i would say looks a lot better than plastic) if you got stock lighting, then low light plants like java ferns, java moss, anubias, moss balls and crypts will do fine. if you want to get more variety then you would need to get a set of maybe T5 high output lights which i would suggest for sure if you want good plants. a light fixture for a tank that size will be cheap, which is a plus. i just invested 200 plus on a light fixture plus a glass top for my tank as the stock lights were not strong enough for my plants.. which in turn made a lot of them slowly die off. luckily got the lights and they are just doing amazaing.

i went a bit overboard, but all ideas, just brainstorming. a small school would look great, just as good as a betta and shrimp. though i feel betta plus shrimp show off a more relaxing feel in comparison to school of fish. up to you.

I just dont see the appeal of a betta. I used to be absolutely fascinated by them. Especially when they flared. I tended to keep HM and crownies. But like..... I dont remember them being friendly or even interested in me. And they died within 3yrs. Course I was a kid.

Iam trying hard to convince my dad to let me keep my 29g and let me put whatever I want. It may work actually. Since Iam doing it slowly.

But for that I have a few ideas of whatI can stock:

-One or two fancie goldfish

-6shrimps, 7small schooling fish, 1betta, 5african dwarf frogs

-Musk turtle and a school of fish(musk turtles cant fish. but this idea may not happen)

-Pufferfish(GSP, F8s. or a 3-4inch freshwater puffer)

-Crabs(13)

-A cichlid

-Buenos aires tetra(Albinos are my favorite. I dont know why. But ever since I worked at this petstore they gave me such an appeal!)

schooling fish, snails and shrimp sound great in my opinion. you can add a betta if youd like which i tried and successfully did. but eventually i stopped as the tetras starting seeings its tail as a flakes i guess. so if you want to add a betta, maybe a female? they got short tails. and a 29G would be nice to get. crabs would be cool to have as well though.

-One or two fancie goldfish Nope cant do that at all. Tank is to small for even one. Need at least a 20 gallon for one and 10 gallon for each goldfish after that.

-6shrimps, 7small schooling fish, 1betta, 5african dwarf frogs Either or but not all.

-Musk turtle and a school of fish(musk turtles cant fish. but this idea may not happen) Nope turtles well outgrow the tank I beleive. If the turtle well stay small most are very messy so would not add any fish to that small of a tank.

-Pufferfish(GSP, F8s. or a 3-4inch freshwater puffer) Nope just the dwarf puffers believe th other well outgrow the tank.

-Crabs(13) Dont they get to big for that many in one tank? Not sure on that never researched them.

-A cichlid A pair of rams is about the only that are small enough for that tank.

-Buenos aires tetra(Albinos are my favorite. I dont know why. But ever since I worked at this petstore they gave me such an appeal!) This might work if it is all you get.

-One or two fancie goldfish Nope cant do that at all. Tank is to small for even one. Need at least a 20 gallon for one and 10 gallon for each goldfish after that.

-6shrimps, 7small schooling fish, 1betta, 5african dwarf frogs Either or but not all.

-Musk turtle and a school of fish(musk turtles cant fish. but this idea may not happen) Nope turtles well outgrow the tank I beleive. If the turtle well stay small most are very messy so would not add any fish to that small of a tank.

-Pufferfish(GSP, F8s. or a 3-4inch freshwater puffer) Nope just the dwarf puffers believe th other well outgrow the tank.

-Crabs(13) Dont they get to big for that many in one tank? Not sure on that never researched them.

-A cichlid A pair of rams is about the only that are small enough for that tank.

-Buenos aires tetra(Albinos are my favorite. I dont know why. But ever since I worked at this petstore they gave me such an appeal!) This might work if it is all you get.

Hidr, I think SF is actually talking about a 29 gallon tank in this post. I know he originally said a 10-15 gallon tank, but if you read later on he says a 29 gallon tank is a possibility. You could easily fit two goldfishh in a 29 gallon tank, provided they are fancies and not commons or comets :)

oh other fish you can add are, killifish, or dwarf gourami's or african butterfly cichlids which dont get big at all in comparison to other cichlids. kribensis* will also be fine in a 29 gallon. all the listed fish are colorful and very energetic.

Hmm.

Iam hoping he lets me set up the 29g. If he does Ill put in the goldfish or a school fish tank. If I can only have a 10-15g then I may go for a school of buenos aires tetras and some shrimp is that ok? like 6-7 buenos aires tetras and 6cherry shrimp and maybe an otto cat or two?

I just want my options open. Its been hectic. And I need something atleast for my room because I have alot of stress factors and this is my place for solitude.

Hmm.

Iam hoping he lets me set up the 29g. If he does Ill put in the goldfish or a school fish tank. If I can only have a 10-15g then I may go for a school of buenos aires tetras and some shrimp is that ok? like 6-7 buenos aires tetras and 6cherry shrimp and maybe an otto cat or two?

I just want my options open. Its been hectic. And I need something atleast for my room because I have alot of stress factors and this is my place for solitude.

ahh buenos aires tetras are great! i have a school of them. 6 in total in my 55 gallon, and they just always stick together. never alone, some times in pairs, but singles you dont see often. love those guys. generally the rule of thumb is an inch per gallon and these guys dont really grow. even in a 55 gallon haha, so that wouldbe fince, add in shrimp, that shall be fine, doesnt really matter they dont exactly take up space, and 2 otto cats.. it could be done. they grow up to 2 inches so in my opinion that should be fine. one rubber nose pleco could be fine as well, or clown pleco. otto cats like to school, but no need to, so dont worry about buying 10 of them to keep them happy. if the filtration/plants is good, and you got some nice gph for the tank then being on the edge of a bad overstock would be okie in my opinion. if you introduce the fish slowly, so lets say, shrimp first with otto cats. let that for a while, then add in 3 tetras then 3 again or all 6, if you just want to save visits to the lfs, that would be fine. just make sure the water changes are there, the filtration, and the water quality.

and yes, tanks are amazing for stress relief. i put my 55 gallon in my bedroom. i love just laying down on my bed after a bad day and just admiring the fish, and the plants . :D

I meant the goldfish would go in a 29g if my dad lets me use the one I was given. he has these stupid rules but never the less I can go against his will(resistance is futile---seriously e_e)

This is what would go in the 29g(not all together. Its hard to explain. just hopefully you guys get it)

29g options:

a)Musk turtle/mud turtle(perfect for one, and maybe a small school of fish)

b)Two goldies

c)That community tank with bettas, frogs, shrimp and fish.

d)Pufferfish or some sort of oddball fish

______

10-15g options:

a)6-7buenos aires tetras and maybe a couple of cherry shrimp(I really like the shrimp and the tetras. lol)

b)African dwarf frogs(3-4), and a betta

c)7Guppies, 4-5shrimp(last option)

d)Idk. xD

Hmm.

ahh buenos aires tetras are great! i have a school of them. 6 in total in my 55 gallon, and they just always stick together. never alone, some times in pairs, but singles you dont see often. love those guys. generally the rule of thumb is an inch per gallon and these guys dont really grow. even in a 55 gallon haha, so that wouldbe fince, add in shrimp, that shall be fine, doesnt really matter they dont exactly take up space, and 2 otto cats.. it could be done. they grow up to 2 inches so in my opinion that should be fine. one rubber nose pleco could be fine as well, or clown pleco. otto cats like to school, but no need to, so dont worry about buying 10 of them to keep them happy. if the filtration/plants is good, and you got some nice gph for the tank then being on the edge of a bad overstock would be okie in my opinion. if you introduce the fish slowly, so lets say, shrimp first with otto cats. let that for a while, then add in 3 tetras then 3 again or all 6, if you just want to save visits to the lfs, that would be fine. just make sure the water changes are there, the filtration, and the water quality.

and yes, tanks are amazing for stress relief. i put my 55 gallon in my bedroom. i love just laying down on my bed after a bad day and just admiring the fish, and the plants . :D

Yes. I just want my dad to let me use my 29g. Id set up a community tank.

for the 29g I would mostlikely use:

7-8albino buenos aires tetras(only fish that I like it when its albino), 7cherry shrimp, a small pleco, and 6-7 african dwarf frogs.

Shrimps really dont take up any bioload or space. 7shrimp=one 2-3 inch fish IMO. The african dwarf frogs can be messy if not fed properly(i.e. a feeding dish. and fed on the same spot---Id put the bowl in the center of the tank). The tetras would be the one to do some bioload. I would had added another fish but that would be overstocking. The pleco as you stated would do fine. If I like the coloring and patterns. Iam mad picky about stocking fishtanks. When I was younger I didnt really care. But now I see it as a work of art. if everything doesnt work according to what it should do then its not perfect. Lol xD OCD kicks in. See I want fish that go on all region of the tank. So theres movement everywhere. Id put the bottom of the tank with a "grass matt" something they sell that covers the bottom of the tank(uses gravel) and is a natural hide out for small dwellers. I used a small patch of it in a 10g once when I was younger. I remember seeing some fish going around it often.In the 29g Id cover pretty much everything or id leave it bare with just sand. Iam using either black sand or green gravel(lime). Just cause if I use gravel for the tank and I have it well planted Itd look sweet. or Id use black gravel. not too sure as of yet. tHough green is my ultimate favorite color

Hmm.

7-8albino buenos aires tetras(only fish that I like it when its albino), 7cherry shrimp, a small pleco, and 6-7 african dwarf frogs.

Shrimps really dont take up any bioload or space. 7shrimp=one 2-3 inch fish IMO. The african dwarf frogs can be messy if not fed properly(i.e. a feeding dish. and fed on the same spot---Id put the bowl in the center of the tank). The tetras would be the one to do some bioload. I would had added another fish but that would be overstocking. The pleco as you stated would do fine. If I like the coloring and patterns. Iam mad picky about stocking fishtanks. When I was younger I didnt really care. But now I see it as a work of art. if everything doesnt work according to what it should do then its not perfect. Lol xD OCD kicks in. See I want fish that go on all region of the tank. So theres movement everywhere. Id put the bottom of the tank with a "grass matt" something they sell that covers the bottom of the tank(uses gravel) and is a natural hide out for small dwellers. I used a small patch of it in a 10g once when I was younger. I remember seeing some fish going around it often.In the 29g Id cover pretty much everything or id leave it bare with just sand. Iam using either black sand or green gravel(lime). Just cause if I use gravel for the tank and I have it well planted Itd look sweet. or Id use black gravel. not too sure as of yet. tHough green is my ultimate favorite color

sounds like to me that you got some great ideas here which will work well for whichever tank. only the betta/tetra mix might not work because they will bite the tail. or they may never touch it. for the longest time mine never did.. then they did :S so it depends the fish. up to you. as for gravel, with live plants, a natural colored gravel or black gravel i feel is the best imo. black is very clean and shows off the plants more, while natural, is just,... well natural looking. Sand would do great as well, never worked with it but i love the way it looks. may be messy though. aquatic soil would be cool too but i think thats pretty $$ not too sure, but that would be the best for your plants. you would put like a 2 inch layer then put gravel on top i think.. i cant remember the set up for soil but yeah. What helped me choose the color of my gravel was that i walked around the LFS and saw all the display tanks and i saw all the colors. rainbow, never liked, blue was nice, a dark blue, had it in one of my tanks. i sort of wish i went for black instead of the natural rock color... but i forget why i decided on natural color. overall though it would great. love my 55 gall, especially with the recent changes i have made to it.

Hmm.

sounds like to me that you got some great ideas here which will work well for whichever tank. only the betta/tetra mix might not work because they will bite the tail. or they may never touch it. for the longest time mine never did.. then they did :S so it depends the fish. up to you. as for gravel, with live plants, a natural colored gravel or black gravel i feel is the best imo. black is very clean and shows off the plants more, while natural, is just,... well natural looking. Sand would do great as well, never worked with it but i love the way it looks. may be messy though. aquatic soil would be cool too but i think thats pretty $$ not too sure, but that would be the best for your plants. you would put like a 2 inch layer then put gravel on top i think.. i cant remember the set up for soil but yeah. What helped me choose the color of my gravel was that i walked around the LFS and saw all the display tanks and i saw all the colors. rainbow, never liked, blue was nice, a dark blue, had it in one of my tanks. i sort of wish i went for black instead of the natural rock color... but i forget why i decided on natural color. overall though it would great. love my 55 gall, especially with the recent changes i have made to it.

Thanks! :D Very informative!