Changing Gravel

dnalex

I would like to change the gravel in my 55g from blue to black. I also don't want to mess up my cycled tank. How should I go about doing this, so as to minimize problems?

Thanks for your help :)

Do it slowly over a prolonged period of time. When I changed the gravel in my tank, I removed 30% at first and that DID cause a small cycle bump. After that I removed only 20% of what was left during every weekly water change.

I wonder if it works that you put the new gravel into a big bowl or something and put it in the tank so bacteria can start attaching to it while you are still slowly removing the blue gravel. You'd just have to keep stirring the new gravel so no toxic air pockets form in it.

Your suggestion is excellent. I wonder how long it takes for the bb to colonize the new substrate. May be I will just change a little bit at a time. If nothing else, it will help my nerves :)

Yes exactly. When I took the gravel out of my 55 gallon. I did 1 handful a day. It never messed up my cycle. Truthfully most of the bbs live in the filter, that's why if you have gravel you want 1 inch or less because if you have more, you've got toxic anaerobic bacteria underneath that first one inch creating toxic gas.

Same here....I was loaded with gravel in my 55 gal tank...being in no hurry to remove excess gravel I've been doing about 1-2 lbs per week obviously to avoid biting the big one with a cycle crash. I'm almost there..maybe 3 weeks to go and I've got it down to about a one inch depth. Right where I want to be with it and no cycle crash. That's all we need. :wall