Switching Tanks, Hope To Keep The Cycle

ashlee18

I've been wondering how to keep my cycle when I get the 180 up FINALLY. The plan was to have the two filters on the 55 moved over to the big tank and add 3 more filters. But...I tore down the 55 and sterilized the living bad bacteria out of the filters. I put one of the new, never used, filters onto the temp tank with two seeded filters from two different tanks. So I'll only have 1 out of the four filters seeded. I'm guessing this won't be enough to keep the cycle strong enough to not cause any problems.

I hope to have the tank set up by Sunday with two of the filters, then hopefully win some GFC fish and get them around Wednesday. The day they hopefully arrive, I'll add the big filter from the temp tank bringing the total up to 3. Then replace that filter with another to get it seeded for a couple of weeks. I can't seed it from another tank since they all have sponge filters and the other goldie tank is in the prazi phase. Do you think it would work to have 3 fish in the 180 for a couple of weeks with one seeded filter and two large unseeded filters? I hope it will work since I'll continue to test the water and do water changes.

Also, I've read about adding the UV sterilizer after the filter. I assume this means so that the filters can collect their BB, but does this count of an already seeded filter? Or should I just wait to add it on until all of the filters have been added and seeded and the remaining fish added?

Thanks for putting up with all of my annoying questions. I hope I get this tank right.

I have no clue about the UV filter, but I'm not sure about the BB. This is going to be one huge tank for only one seeded filter. Then again it is only three goldfish for now, if I understood you right.

I'm totally hooked to the Nutrafin Cycle since I accidentally murdered my cycle. Within 24 hours of adding that stuff my tank cleared up and the water params were very good. I wonder if you should invest in a couple big bottles (it's honestly a bit expensive) to support your BB/add a ton of BB to your tank. Pet$mart has the "big" 17oz bottle for 25 bucks. 17 fl oz treats 945 gallons

You use it like this

New aquariums:

• Day 1: 25 mL per 10 gallons
  • Day 2: 10 mL per 10 gallons
  • Day 3: 10 mL per 10 gallons

I have no clue about the UV filter, but I'm not sure about the BB. This is going to be one huge tank for only one seeded filter. Then again it is only three goldfish for now, if I understood you right.

I'm totally hooked to the Nutrafin Cycle since I accidentally murdered my cycle. Within 24 hours of adding that stuff my tank cleared up and the water params were very good. I wonder if you should invest in a couple big bottles (it's honestly a bit expensive) to support your BB/add a ton of BB to your tank. Pet$mart has the "big" 17oz bottle for 25 bucks. 17 fl oz treats 945 gallons

You use it like this

New aquariums:

• Day 1: 25 mL per 10 gallons
  • Day 2: 10 mL per 10 gallons
  • Day 3: 10 mL per 10 gallons

Lol. I'm a huge fan of Nutrafin Cycle also. I recently used it when my tank's cycle was messed up. I think it really helped.

Do you think it would work to have 3 fish in the 180 for a couple of weeks with one seeded filter and two large unseeded filters? I hope it will work since I'll continue to test the water and do water changes.

I think it'll work with no problem. Two things:

1. Use Nutrafin Cycle according to the new tank directions. Great stuff!

2. Test and monitor your water parameters daily. The three fish may cause an ammonia/nitrite spike but if you change water as needed to keep ammonia/nitrites at zero then it won't be an issue. ;)

:exactly That is also why I keep a thin scattering of gravel in my tank...not enough to allow for bad bacteria, but enough to transfer over and jumpstart a cycle. Also, you are bidding on huge monsters of fish, so you should be okay.