What Kinda Sucker Is This?

Vee

I've seen warnings on this site against basic plecos. I don't think he's that kind, though.. He seems pretty chill. For the most part he chills on the underside of that log there. Sorry the picture's so blurry.. he's camera shy.

2z66p06.jpg

I've never seen him go after the other fish or anything, so I think we're safe, right? ^^;

Hard to tell if it is a bristlenose or common pleco. Usually you don't SEE them go after your fish, but you see the fish being injured, red, scrapes, fins torn.

You have to keep a close eye on your fish, if they start looking off/injured etc, which is what I do since I - unaware of the no pleco thing - bought a common pleco with my goldfish back then. After more than one a half years they still are doing fine together, showing no aggression or fear, but I know that as the pleco gets older and grows s/he might become more territorial and develop a taste for slime coat.

For the past few months that the sucker's been in there with the black moors I've seen no signs of harm or damage. I've not seen anything happen to the Orandas so far, but I think it would be pretty easy to see on their bodies if they were gettin' sucked on..

Actually, if it is a pleco at all it's probably a female! =o I hope she's a bristle nose, though. >< It'd be horrible if the sucker started going after my goldies. :(

There is no way to tell the gender of a common pleco if you have only one. I looked for info about gender determination for common pleco's but there is no answer to it.

The pleco doesn't necessarily have to go after the goldfish. As far as I read this usually is caused by the pleco starving. Provided enough nutrition he shouldn't suck on other fishes' slime coat.

With age and size the common pleco may become more territorial though which can lead to problems if there is not enough room.

If it's a bristlenose it doesn't have those funny "mustache" bits, right? I only looked into it for a second.. and I can't seem to find how to tell the difference between the two.. I mean.. if it's a female they don't have those bits, so you can't tell.. :thud

Right, if it is a male bristlenose pleco it does have the fuzzy nose

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/luke_72/bnmale2.jpg

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs45/f/2009/156/f/2/Bristlenose_Pleco_yawning_by_KaKen_Louise.jpg

A female one looks just like this but without the little bristles.

From what I can tell in the photo the coloring on your pleco is different though, more like this

http://home.comcast.net/~myrddraal1/Pets/01112007_Common_Pleco.jpeg

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/species-gallery/species-images/photo_gallery_pics/rob1619/CommonPleco_filtered.jpg

In this case it is a common pleco, the kind that grows to be 18 - 24 inches in length and you will need at least a 40 to 55 gallon tank for him. And you also will not be able to tell the gender unless you'd have two that are mating.

I think it's a little too late to return him to a pet store. I'm not sure they do that here.

I'll try and save up for a tank, my goldies need it anyway.. Does this pleco need an aditional 40 to himself or can he be in a 50 with my goldies as well?

I hope he can or I'm going to need a 100 gallon tank and I DON'T think the people who are part of the homeowners association would approve of that. >> We get yelled at if we let the grass go for too long.. I'm sure they'd flip a cow if they knew I'd be hording that thing in my house.

I currently got mine in my 55 gallon tank with the goldis, with lots of extra maintenance as the tank is overstocked. I don't mind the extra work though.

I can just tell you about my personal experience, but you might be fine for now. I got them all together for more than one and a half years and they all act nice with each other. Make sure the pleco has plenty of food so he doesn't starve and starts eating your fish's slime coat. Algae wafers and shrimp pellets after turning off the lights of the tank and in the room, a slice of cucumber or zucchini on a veggie clip, push a small piece of gel food his way when feeding the goldis.

Get a small piece of drift wood because he eats this too, and have a hiding place for him like a half flower pot or an ornament cave. Mine loves this cave that they sell at pet$mart http://www.nnnn.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752217

Just make sure that you boil the driftwood for a while to get most of the tannins out. These will otherwise tint the tank water yellow and can make the pH drop massively. I boiled mine for almost two hours.

I keep the tank lights on for at least 12 hours each day so algae keeps growing as food for the pleco. The pleco also loves the bubble wand, he attaches himself to the glass, facing the upwards moving bubbles. Makes it look like he is swimming really fast LOL

I would not keep him/her with the goldfish. I would get him his own tank. I would get him at least a 40 they can get large up to 18 inches and they are very messy. I seen one that was pond raised and 3 foot long.

I would not wait till you see a problem by then it is often way to late. It is just way to risky. I love my goldfish to much to take that risk but I do like common pleco's so I have one in a tank with my Oscar. They are well suited for each other and I don't have to worry aobut dead goldfish this way. Please don't risk it.

If s/he was a BN you would know cause s/he would of been labled as such with the price tag to match.

Ofter times mom and pops well take fish even if you didn't buy them from their shop. I would call around and ask. Even ask where you got it they might take it back since it is theirs.

Good luck