Hello! Nice To Meet You All...

Dawn

Hi! I'm an average girl from Singapore, came here to seek help if I have problem with my goldfishes! Hope I'll settle in soon... :hi

Recently, my grandma came back from her daily walk around Singapore ( um, she takes the bus around, looking at or for stuff, and Singapore is really tiny..) holding a bag of goldfish (goodness there were fifteen in there).Um, I think they are around 3 months old? I thought that the goldfish were gonna be fine in a 5-6 gallon tank ( but we go my liters). Little did I know I was wrong! When I found out that goldfish needed a WAY bigger tank, I was shocked. I didn't know goldfish could grow so big. And my grandmother bought them without informing me first =_=|| At the dinner table I tried telling her "THESE GOLDFISH WILL GROW, THEY WON'T STAY TINY" she replied "These goldfish won't grow, you're mistaken." Who ever heard of a goldfish that wouldn't grow? Even the stunted ones, when put into the bigger tanks, grow slowly! So now I'm praying hard for Christmas that

. Either I manage to give them away to my friends

. Get a bigger tank

But I think I'll choose option 1, cause now those 15 goldfish are like 1 inch long, so well yeah. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to Koko's!

You are on the right way with coming here, and good that you know that there is no way that 15 goldfish can live in such a tiny tank :)

As you said, you should try to give them away to friends or a petstore, and at the same time get a bigger tank as even one fancy goldfish needs at least 10 gallons for himself, and in general a goldfish tank should never be smaller than 20 gallons so the fish has room to swim around.

What type of goldfish are they, single tails or fancies? As for single tailed goldfish you even need 20 gallons each!

Oh and we also would love to see some photos of the fish! :)

They are fantail, think they are fancies. Oh yes and one more thing : how do you prevent algae growth? I can't help it as my tank is not under direct sunlight, but its right in front of the balcony sliding doors; no where else to put it >_< :))

Okay, thanks! Will try it out tomorrow morning... its around 10pm now :D

I would look into rehoming as many as you can, Dawn. As Fang mentions each fancy needs 10 gal per fish so you're going to need a 150 gal tank to keep them all! And they do get big, at least 8" for a fancy. Hope things work out for you! ;)

You've come to the right place, welcome aboard! :hi

Welcome to Kokos!

:) Your best bet would be to give them away. It's much easier for you and way less time consuming. In such a small tank they're likely to die, and kudos to you for coming here and doing the right thing. You obviously care about your fish.

Congrats on coming here, the right thing to do

You really need a bigger tank, seriously.

But I dont know if there is anybody on here from or near singapore but good luck if you need to give them away, 15, you can only keep 1 fancy in that tank

Um, here are the pics ... ;)IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg Oh yeah my grandmom said that these were BAIT to feed bigger fish ( I was like WTF) then she said he found them cute so she bought them, 15 fishies in a bag.

Edited by Dawn