[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? 25-27 no therm.

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 6 gallons, 3 months. Previous had goldfish.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Filter in built in tank.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 50% a week.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 male betta.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Blood worms once a day, peas once a week.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? End of tail bleeding; scales slightly raised.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting, laying on side.

My betta lucky was a rescue from really bad conditons at the pet store, and now I'm failing him..

He was originally in a vase when I got him until the 6 gallon was free, he's now in there and he was going fine, I added soon after a ceremic pot, which a broke to make a cave, which was fine, however now that i think of it, the sharp edges may have contributed to how he's feeling.

He was for a week, a bit down, but would rise for food, he still does. Now he's near unresponsive unless i touch him. Heavy breathing, looks labored. He's fins have been damaged.

I started this week 0.1% of salt. No real improvement..

As you can see, water parameters are fine, it is a cycled tank.

I'm clueless, I don't know what to do...

Were the water parameters taken before or after a water change?

Heavily planted tank?

Any pics of the fish?

Is the abdomen distended?

Until then, your only course of action is keeping 0.1% salt and clean water (daily).

Were the water parameters taken before or after a water change?

Heavily planted tank?

Any pics of the fish?

Is the abdomen distended?

Until then, your only course of action is keeping 0.1% salt and clean water (daily).

Before the water change, I just did a 80% change, I know that's not recomended..

Havn't got a camera on me at the moment..

Actually now that you mention it, he's a white betta and he stomach appears different..

I just put some blood worms in, and he's not eating them either..he can't swim unless he really really tries, sometimes he get stuck to the intake tube..

aww Ash :( it sounds like your Betta's having a hard time of it,do you only feed him blood worms and peas?do you presoak the blood worms?is he still eating?if so just feed peas for a couple of days,and make sure his water is ph and temp matched and changed daily as lupin recommended :) I hope he feels better soon :) Keep us posted!!

@ shell: Yes just bloodworms and peas, they are hikari frozen ones, which i have put them in a big container int he freezer, they defrost before i put them in.

I just put some in, and he will eat them if he can get to them, so he has had two :)

@ Oerba: I'm not sure actually...maybe he is, I think he had been at the pet store for a while, he was the last one left, and on sale..but his tail is bleeding and some of it has come off..

edit: I thought of euthanising with cold water, but when I see him move, I can't do it, he's still got spirit.

Edited by ashv20

I've seen that happen to bettas with drastic changes in water temperature (heavy breathing, looking shocked/little movement). But not the weakness. Maybe warming the temperature to 82-85 fahrenheit may make him more active... my bettas always feel better in warmer water, but I keep it at 80-82 permanently.

He didn't last the night... had a burial this morning though :)

@ enesta; i can see your point on the temperature thing, but here, the tanks natural temp without a heater generally is 80 degrees. I live in perfect climate for bettas.