Some People Are Just So Dumb...

Today at work I had a woman come in and ask how many fish she could keep in her 10 gallon tank. I told her she should only keep a few small tropical fish or a betta and she said "oh, well I have 11 fish, is that okay?" I assumed she meant tropical, so I said she was overstocked by a few fish and it could stress them and potentially kill them. Then she was like "oh, yeah, two of my goldfish died already." I was like WHATTT??!! GOLDFISH?! :yikes I asked if they were all goldies and she said "no, I have eight comets and three koi." I was blown away, and I explained to her how large they get and that she should try to find a new home for her fish, preferably somebody with a pond. Her response was "No, I'll just wait for them to die and get new fish" (and she said this while laughing). As much as I just wanted to hit her, that would result in losing my job. I did give her a piece of my mind though.

All I can say is... :thud

How about if I keep 11 humans in a bathroom, and when I decide I don't want them anymore I'll just wait for them to die and get some hamsters instead. I wonder what she would think of that! :wa

I honestly HATE people like that. I am holding myself back so much right now to use just about all the bad words that are banned from this forum and words that most people on this forum probably never even heard of.

How can you be so ignorant and not value life? I don't understand that. I need to go read some happy thread now because I can't even find the right words to ###### in this one right now.

I actually have a friend who is doing the same thing :( I tried many time to inform her of what she needs and proper care,to no avail :(...she always comments on how lovely my goldfish and tanks look :) just the other day she told me she lost a few recently :( I felt like saying No Kidding???DUH!!! grrr she really makes me mad :( But what more can I do??

Poor goldfish and koi :( That just breaks my heart, how someone could be that cold. At least the majority of people I've seen just make that initial mistake in overstocking their tank, lose a few fish and then learn their lesson and get a bigger tank.

Some people just don't want to listen or simply just don't care unfortunately...

For instance, I have had people come in and try to buy 3 or 4 goldfish and put them in a 4 litre tank?! I think that 1 US gallon..

It's incredibly frustrating sometimes..

I feel so sorry for the Koi and Goldfish

• 2 weeks later...

well the women i got my goldfish from was like that she had 3 kids andwhen i bought a 20 gallon tank to set up for guppies she seen it and told me how beautiful it was and what i had in it i told her i was cycling it and seh said "you know i think im going to get a nice tank like that. a few days later she eagerly showed me the tank seh got from nooppee it was a bowl meant for candles she got 2 goldfish and 2 pictus cats becuase thats what the kids wanted there was nothign in the bowl. and about 2 weeks later she met me in the hall and asked me if i wanted the fish since they stunk and otherwise she was going to toss them out she obvisouly had never changed the water so i took pity and took them.

people are like that with any pet imaginable just a week ago a women posted in the classafied 2 ad5 one said:

"free to good home 2 female black lab mixs too big and not cute anymore"

second ad right underneath of it said :

"wanted for free or 40 dollars 2 female little puppies MUST BE CUTE!"

i know it was the sam person becuase she left the same phone number and e-mail so in response to her ad5 i posted one of my own:

CAUTION DO NOT SELL OR GIVE YOUR PUPPIES AWAY TO______ AS SEH WILL ONLY GIVE THEM AWAY ONCE THEY ARE NOT "CUTE" ANY MORE. and i also posted the link to the website of the animal shelter where i am guessing she took the two dogs since the shelter staff wrote about them that the women who brought them in was "just looking for more dogs to throw away and to be on the look out" she has recently removed her ad5 ;)

but thankfully not everyone is like that there are people who try to do the right thing like i did and take in these fish to save them before i really knew much about them!

• 2 weeks later...

My sister is like that. She has a 10 gallon tank and had a little feeder fish in it and a pearlscale. Suprise suprise, the feeder fish died then the other one. Then she bought two other pearlies, both dead within a month. After the fact she said the pearlies had white poop. I wish she would have told me I could have helped, but I knooooow she feeds flake and doesn't do her water changes enough.... *sigh*. Does she care when they die? nah.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, gee! It just amazes me how many people mistreat their fish. And since goldies are my favorite, they bother me the most. But it also seems that goldies and bettas are the most mistreated fish. Keeping goldies in tanks that are too small is my biggest pet peeve though. How can people just not understand?? And if the fish die "so what"??? How cruel and stupid. I was at a LFS a few months ago and a woman walked in, wanting to buy goldfish for her kid and with a 1 or 2 gal bowl in hand, asks the clerk if that would be ok to keep a few goldies in!! I was looking at the goldies myself and pretending I wasn't sure, I said to the clerk "these fish need to be kept in at least 10 gals right?". And he said "yes" and the customer says "really? So I can't keep them in a bowl?". So I said, "yes goldfish get pretty big and really do need alot of room". To his credit (for the moment) the clerk tried to steer her towards a betta, but she really wanted a goldie. So, as soon as he saw his sale walking out the door, he backpedals and tells her "well, you really shouldn't, but you CAN". Gggrrrrrr...... Well, I tried. I had to leave though before I said something really rude and I sure didn't want to watch her buying goldfish that I knew were just going to die.

• 1 month later...

I run into people like that all the time at work! It's so frustrating. I try to explain to them, in the nicest way possible, that Goldfish need more room than that.

Where I work, we actually have nice big orandas and I use them as a visual reference. I will often say, "Yeah, this little goldie is little now, but look *point to tank with big goldfish* this is how big they will get, they could even get bigger." People are often surprised...then of course I get the "I thought they grew to the size of their tank..." comment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh, the old "they grow to the size of the tank" myth! I just wish that would die. I've even heard that from people that I thought were relatively well educated. Maybe not fish experts, but still..... If people would just stop to think about it, it doesn't even make sense!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Its just amazing how people can be so different what makes people have an attitude like this where others would do anything to give the best quality of life.

I reckon she was brought up in a cardboard box as a child with 5 others and sees this as normal.

Edited by Geeros

A few months ago I had to sell off alot of my aquariums. One of the women who bought a 20 gallon stuffed her tank full of goldfish and even sent me a photo. She absolutely did know better than to do that but she had the attitude of: It's my tank and nobody is going to tell me what to do with it.

I'll never understand that attitude...

Can we just solve this problem by sticking her and all people like her in a 10 gallon and watching them squirm? I'm sure they'd love that, just as much as the fish do... EUGH silly people. I know sometimes people start out overstocked and then fix it, but that is a cruel and heartless "solution" and she is an idiot. I'm glad you told her off.

I'm always amazed at stories like this....with the internet at your finger tips whether on a computer or on your phone people are still so lazy to learn and to do things the correct way.....I'm not sure how someone can be so calm that "2 of the goldfish have died" no they were killed. plain and simple, they didn't just die of old age, they were doomed from the get go. I'm always amazed and never surprised. :wacko: sad to think people view fish or pets in general as disposable....they died....no big deal. :wall

I run into people like that all the time at work! It's so frustrating. I try to explain to them, in the nicest way possible, that Goldfish need more room than that.

Where I work, we actually have nice big orandas and I use them as a visual reference. I will often say, "Yeah, this little goldie is little now, but look *point to tank with big goldfish* this is how big they will get, they could even get bigger." People are often surprised...then of course I get the "I thought they grew to the size of their tank..." comment.

ooh ooh! what does a "nice big oranda" looklike? how big do they get?