Bio Max Filter

Locke

Hiya Locke...I never replace my BioMax media until it actually falls apart....I don't recommend it as that's a large part of your BB...of course Fluval will tell you to change the media every month...most people run their media until it actually breaks down and almost disintegrates. I'm exaggerating but just keep it in there except rinsing it occasionally in used tank water to remove any buildup on the ceramic rings. ;)

I don't rinse the cermic cylinders (Fluval's product) in my Fluval 405 at all. I've just been leaving them alone. Should I rinse them? I typically just take the filter completely apart, pour out the old water (on some plants outside), squeeze out the 2 big sponge filters, replace the carbon or de-nitrate depending on what I'm running, and change the water polishing pads.......then put it back together with fresh, treated, water.

Hey austinado..I'm running the AquaClears and once a month I'll swish the Bio media in a bucket of used tank water. It sometimes gets a buildup of gunk so I just do a quick swish in the bucket and right back it goes. ;)

Mmmm......okay. So I guess the BB's are well rooted into the ceramic so "swishing" doesn't just rinse them away? I'm overly caution about maintaining my cycle.

You're right, your BB won't be rinsed away...I've been doing this for over a year and the cycle never changes. Now rinsing in tap water obviously would kill your BB so that's a definite no no. ;)

Good to know. There are lots of little green floaties in there, and most come out with dumping the water from the Fluval, but I'd probably get better overall flow and less trapped stuff in the sponges initially if all these floaties were gone (instead of being stired up by me).