Opinions?

Does anyone have any opinions or any experience with these lights?

Not quite sure about them, FB. I've read about them quite a bit in my tropical magazines but I'm a little leery about not having a cover on the tank when using that type of lights, either GF or tropicals.

Hmmm...now all of the pics I've seen of them are in use with tanks without any covers at all. And I always wonder about that as I certainly wouldn't do it. It may work with glass covers...hopefully someone can shed more light on this... ;)

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work with glass covers. I have a somewhat similar light fixture (made by Current), only I'm missing the legs that hold it up on the tank. So I just set it on top of the glass covers and it works just great. I also don't have my tank covered completely with the glass covers. I just have it covered about halfway because:

?This is not the first case I've seen where a "full cover" on a goldfish aquarium has caused health problems. Regardless of what the "full top" is made of, it is not healthy for goldfish, because the "gases" must escape from the bottom of your goldfish aquarium water, not be trapped and returned to to your aquarium. Even if you open just half of the "full cover" would be a big help.? -Rick GFC

Here's the link: http://goldfishconnection.com/articles/details.php?articleId=183&parentId=1

I don't really know anything about the light fixture you linked to FB, but it looks similar to mine. I'm very happy with mine, so I'm sure I'd like this one just as well!

Yeah, I really like your lighting Sakura, and that's one reason I first noticed this one. My covers actually don't cover the whole tank anyway. In order to make room for my Aquaclears, I'm only using two of the panels instead of four.

I have two 30's on my 30 gallon which I am going to move over to start with. I bought Amy's Fluval 304 and then I'm planning to get a 110 and eventually take out the little Aquaclears once the big filters are cycled. So they won't be quite identical, but close! :rofl

Sounds like a great plan. Actually, you can even just move all the filter media from the old 30's directly into the new 110 and fluval, and then you won't have to have the 30's and the new filters running on there at the same time. :thumbs:

Yeah. I'm probably not going to get the 110 until after the holidays, but when I do I will probably just transfer over my media. I'm thinking I can get away with less than 10x filtration for a little bit, since I am going to start the 75 gallon tank with only two small fish. Three when the new guy finishes quarentine. I have an insane amount of biomax crammed into my little filters, so I'm hoping I might be able to take a little of it to seed the canister.

Those look nice and the ad says the come with an acrylic spash guard. Do they take standard fluorescents so that you'll be able to choose the color spectrum/brightness you want? That would be my biggest concern, becaues you can always have some plate glass cut to set just under the fixture.

Both hoods on my vintage 70G are fully open/exposed to the water. I took them to the local glass shop and had some 3/16" plate glass cut for them. The glass gets wet and eventually coated with a nice white haze of water stains, but it's easily cleaned with some #2 steel wool under running water in the sink. The lights stay high and dry.

Edited by austinado16