Goldfish Teeth!

Sakura

So I've been seeing little white things at the tank bottom lately that are impossibly to siphon out because they're heavy. I didn't know what they were, but I just pulled them out of the tank today to look at them closer because I realized they're probably teeth. And they are! Little tiny goldfish teeth! It's so awesome!

Here's an informational article about goldfish, and it includes a nice illustration of the teeth.

http://fl.biology.usgs.gov/Carp_ID/html/carassius_auratus.html

Here's the illustration in case you don't want to read the link:

carp_id_fig_12.jpg

And here's the photos of the teeth I found!

m082.jpg

m081.jpg

m080.jpg

m083.jpg

m084.jpg

This post has been promoted to an article

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's all of them. I'm pretty sure goldfish (and most fish?) lose teeth and re-grow them regularly through-out the year. Most of those were in the 75 gallon tank, but one was in the 55 gallon tank with the two ryukins.

No problem Koko :)

Edited by Sakura

Exactly, with how often they like to nibble on arms! :rofl

mjbubbles, these fish are actually pretty big. The largest two are almost 7 inches, and the others are all about 5.5 inches. The smallest tooth I found came from the ryukin tank, where the smallest fish (Toad, at about 4.5 inches) lives. :)

Great pictures! And the diagram is really good too. I'm always finding teeth, but never that big. Then again, my fish is pretty small.

I'm glad I don't have to pay up for the goldfish fairy because I find new ones in the tank every week! :D

:yikes Jeepers! Teeth!!! I was too scared to put my hands in the tank in the first place. After seeing those monster teeth I will have a huge job on my hands when it's tank cleaning day! It will be like doing a bush tucker trial! (I'm a celebrity get me out of here is back on the TV. It's that time of year!)

• Supporter

Wow, Sakura! Those photos are great! I have found small white things at the bottom of the tank before that I couldn't siphon up and never knew what they were. It's so cool to know that they were teeth!!