Uv Sterilizer For 75

pss_gold

I've been thinking about asking for one for christmas or simply buying one myself. I have a 75 gallon with 12 goldies, only 1 adult. The rest are still babies and the levels are all normal and well controlled but I am concerned about bacteria and stuff so I figure a UV will keep things under control until I'm able to upgrade. Money isn't the reason behind not upgrading now, it's space.

Any suggestions? Flow rate, size, wattage, brand etc? Thanks

Considering how much a good UV sterilizer is I'd rather try to invest (or have invested) in a second tank :)

On the long run this will be the better choice for your goldfish!

Never mind, saw the space part too late!

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Exactly. It's better to invest in a second tank. I would rather get a UV if I have a breakout of something in a tank that's well stocked. A UV sterilizer won't help with the overstocking levels.

I don't have room for another tank or even a bigger tank. The upgrade I want is a 180 gallon eventually once I move. And/or maybe a pond. Depends on where I live.

The bioload isn't an issue because I have some great colonies including the final nitrAte destroying colony. So that whole cycle isn't a problem.

I change the water a lot so stunting isn't an issue.

So really what I'm worried about is parasite and bad bacteria populations and a slow UV seemed the way to go...

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the others. Either getting a second tank or rehoming some fish is best. But in addition, it's always good to have a UV sterilizer as well. I have two, both of the models from the Goldfish Connection website. I would recommend the 25 watt "powerhouse" UV over the smaller "Clarifier Excel" because the 25 watt kills pretty much all pathogens- fungal, bacterial, and parasitic; but the "clarifier excel" doesn't kill as many. It can only kill a smaller number of bacteria. But either are obviously better than no UV, and much better than most "toy" UVs out there.

Again, I can't have a second tank now. Nor am I rehoming them because unless someone is experienced with water chemistry (aka me), there's no way they can handle the terrible water we have in our town. My friend's kH just decided to up and leave and kill half of her fish without her doing anything other than changing water. I'm not giving them to the terrible pet stores in my area either. I'm putting Nugget, the 7 inch common, in my home neighbor's pond come spring (too strong of a fish for the smaller ones) and continuing with my water change schedule and complete cycle. They're all tiny for now though i think Saka is thinking about 4 inches soon. Eventually.

How good an UV works seems to depend on flow rate. I'll look into it later.

How good a UV works depends upon flow rate, body diameter, and UV wattage. All three have to be matched correctly for it to be effective. Like I said above, the two units available at Goldfishconnection.com are very good, with the 25 watt one being much better.

• Supporter

Hi Yuko.

I have a Submariner UV Sterilizer from JBJ. I purchased it as a birthday present to myself after reading a review by another member on the site here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/84265-submariner-uv-sterilizer-and-clarifier-review/page__p__948088__hl__jbj+uv+sterilizer__fromsearch__1#entry948088

I'm very happy with mine :) It was relatively affordable and super easy to install (basically plug and play).

Hope this is helpful. It's always nice to have options when researching.