Questions About Using Prime!

I have got one of my fish in the spare tank, as he is having some issues at the moment. Hopefully he will be over it very soon, and he will be back in the main tank.I don't think it is serious.

I seeded my filter with some media I pinched from the main tank, whilst Cherry (my red cap oranda) is sick, and in the spare, I am making sure I am doing regular water testing. (not sure if the seeding worked very well!)

My question is how long does Prime detoxify nitrate and nitrite? And how long does it remove Chlorine, chloramine and ammonia?

I did a water change then tested the water but I am not sure if I am getting fake results by using the Prime. A day later I was thinking of salting the tank, but I had ammonia (0.50) so I did another water change and held off with the salt. I think clean water will be the best thing for Cherry.

Not sure if my post makes sense so sorry for that! :doh11:

I think it nullifies it for 48 hours which is great, and a whole capful treats 49 gallons of water. So you're really getting your money's worth. It's great for cycling tanks.

I always thought it was 24 hours and that you could add it once a day when cycling a tank... In any case, I think prime is fantastic and it's always a great addition when cycling!!!!! Of course it's important to keep up with the water changes, but as long as you are on top of those, its perfect to add to detoxify any remaining trace amounts of ammonia or nitrites!

Thank you for your replies. I have never cycled a tank using Prime before but I have been using it in the main tank for quite a while.

It seems much easier with Prime, knowing that after a quick water change the water is not harmful to the fish. :angelstaf:

For the chlorine, once you add Prime, it is gone for good. I got this from the Seachem website. They have a FAQ about Prime.

"Prime works by removing chlorine from the water and then binds with ammonia until it can be consumed by your biological filtration (chloramine minus chlorine = ammonia). The bond is not reversible and ammonia is still available for your bacteria to consume. Prime will not halt your cycling process.

It also says "Prime dissipates from your system within 24 hours."