Fish Septicemia Question

Badfish

Hello Koko's!

I have a quick question about what I am assuming is septicemia in my telescope goldfish?

I recently had an unexpected stay in the hospital (supposed to be only a week, so I did my regular water change right before I went in (I do 90% every 10 days...it's kind of a weird schedule but with a toddler I don't always have the time to do 50% every week, and it's worked for me so far!) Well, the week in the hospital turned into 3 weeks, and with no one at home "qualified" to do a water change, my poor teles went the three weeks with no change. I don't think they were overfed in that period but of course it's possible.

When I came home my lavender girl had frayed fins and was looking a little lethargic. My white boy tele looked and acted fine except for one single streak of red in his tail. It's been a week (I did a 95% water change right away of course) and they both bounced back very quickly and are both acting completely normally, the lav girl's fins are almost completely healed already.

My question is, the white male still has the red streak in his tail, it may have faded very slightly but it's def still there. Will this heal on it's own with good water without meds? Oh I did add salt to the tank when I cleaned it to help with healing.

I have Medigold (think that would be the right med) as well as Metromeds but they are def well beyond the 6 month expiration period. I ran out of my testing supplies a few weeks ago and haven't had the funds to buy a new set yet (things are tight right now.) I'm pretty sure the water is okay, the tank has been stable with zero issues for so long. It's a 40 gallon with two telescope butterflies, with two Penguin 200 filters. The tank has always read good parameters, zero ammonia and nitrite and low nitrates (keep them under 10ppm) with regular changes. Since I didnt have any testers on hand except for nitrite, I didn't get a reading when I came home (I was so frantic to get them in good water) but I suspect they were definitely bad for the fish to look the way they did, since they are always healthy.

Tank has been up and running for almost a year so it's pretty well established. I rinse the filter media in tank water, etc. It's a barebottom with an air wand and a heater set to 76 degrees F.

Just wondering if my boy with eventually lose the streak in the tail? He is a Raingarden goldfish, and the healthiest/hardiest fish I have ever owned. Will he be okay with a little TLC?

Thanks!

Oh and I am going to do another 90% change tomorrow just to make sure the water is pristine.

Don't use medigold at all. The ammonia most likely got up high and it causes red streaks in the fins. It can take a few weeks for it to disappear. :D So don't worry. Once you're back on that water change schedule everything should be fine.

Constance! We missed you around here! How is everything? And the babies?

I agree with tay, don't use the MediGold, unless it gets worse. I used medigold once but my little ranchu had totally RED fins. If it is only one little streak it is just probably an ammonia flare up - it takes long to go away :)

I had this happen to Hugo when my I murdered my cycle by not turning the filter back on for a full day after doing a water change. :doh11:

Hugo still got a slight redness to the bottom lobe of her tail fin, but it is almost gone. It takes many weeks to fully disappear, but if it doesn't get worse but as you said less, then there is no reason to worry, and nothing else you can do but to keep the water very clean :)