Please Give Me Some Help Soon!

CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME HELP PLEASE? ...I HAVE TWO 6.5 IN. FISH THAT ARE ALMOST 3 YEARS OLD .. THEY HAVE SPENT THAT TIME IN AN OUTSIDE POND. I BROUGHT THEM IN 6 WEEKS AGO INTO A 55 GAL TANK ... I HAVE STRUGGLED TO KEED THE WATER CORRECT BY CHANGING 1/3 WATER AT FIRST EVERY 3-4 DAYS .,. THEY SEEMED SO VERY HEALTHY! DURING THAT PERIOD EVEN THOUGH THE NITRITE,NITRATE WAS A BIT HIGH AND THE PH WAS LOW AROUND 6.5PPM ...I HAVE A FULVAL 305 FILTER AND HAVE ADDED SOME CRUSHED CORAL TO LOWER THE PH IS NOW APPROX 7.3 ... FOR THE PAST 5 WEEKS THEY WERE SO VERY ACTIVE USING THE ENTIE TANK AND BEGGING FOR FOOD WHEN I CAME HOME .... I DID A 1/3 WATER CHANGE 3 DAYS AGO AND SINCE THEN THEY HAVE BEEN GLUED TO THE BOTTOM CORNER OF THE TANK ...I RECHECKED THE TANK AND NITRATES ARE 0 .. NITRITES ARE 0 PH IS 7.2 THE ALKALINITY IS GH= 120 AND THE KN 80 AMONIUM IS ZERO ... I DID ADD AQUASAFE AS USUAL .... I WAS SATISFIED THAT AFTER 6 WEEKS I FINALLY GOT MY TANK IN "PERFECT" CONDITION ... BUT OVER THE LAST 2 DAYS THEY ARE HUDDLED IN THE CORNER AND WILL NOT MOVE OUT .... THERE ARE NO VISUAL SIGNS OF TRBL LIKE WHITE SPOTS OR RED SPOTS .. NOT FAST BREATHING AND NO CLAMPED FINS ....WHAT THE _*&(*%^&%$ IS GOING ON ... I NOW REGRET BRINGING THEM IN TO ENJOY OVER THE WINTER .. BY THE WAY .. THE TEMP IS 66 DEG.

HELP .... TOM

First off, Welcome to Kokos! I hope we can help you

Are you able to test your tap wate and have you been putting water conditioner in the water? Did you change anything in the filters at all?

First off, Welcome to Kokos! I hope we can help you

Are you able to test your tap wate and have you been putting water conditioner in the water? Did you change anything in the filters at all?

I did put same amount of water conditioner "aquasafe" as i have for the past 3 yrs .... and yes, as i said i added approx 1/4 pound of crushed coral to raise the ph which did go up

slowly from 6.6 to 7.2 ppm over the last 3 day .... my fish look very healthy physically but they are acting very strang ..... i am so worried .... thanks for responding ...

tom

See if you can test the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in the tank and then test it in your tap water. Your tapwater might have ammonia in it. Do you have a freshwater master test kit?

Is the tank heavily planted? I'm wondering why nitrates are 0-either lots of plants or no cycle.

thanks for getting back to me .... no , I have zero plants in my tank ... but the n cycle apparrently has completed as the nitrate and nistrite is gone to almost "nil"

With a complete cycle and no plants-you should get a nitrate reading. 0 ammonia,0 nitrites,5-? nitrates would signify a completed cycle. Have you cleaned the filters out at all since you've had them inside?

With a complete cycle and no plants-you should get a nitrate reading. 0 ammonia,0 nitrites,5-? nitrates would signify a completed cycle. Have you cleaned the filters out at all since you've had them inside?

HEY! THANKS KUKANA!!! ... I CLEANED , JUST THE MECHANICAL SPONGE FILTER, ABOUT 9 DAYS AGO ... THAT IS WHEN I ADDED THE 1/4 POUNDS OF CRUSHED CORRAL TO RAISE THE PH FROM 6.5 TO 7.2 I'M A BIT CONFUSED? ... MY TEST IS SHOWING BOTH THE NITRATES AND NITRITES ALMOST "NIL" ... ARE YOU SAYING THIS IS NOT GOOD?

Ideally,you should have 0 nitrites and some nitrates-my run 20-40 before I do my weekly 50% w/c-and 5-10 just after. The ammo-which is bad-gets converted to nitrites(which are even worse),and that gets converted to nitrate-and that's what we remove w/ our w/cs. IF you have plants,they can consume the nitrates-they live off of waste-BUT IF you do not have plants,all of the converted waste remains as nitrate-which is much better for the fish-as long as they don't get too high. So,a cycled tank is 0/0/5-?. No nitrates means no cycle. No Nitrites is VERY GOOD,NO nitrates indicates something going on w/ a cycle. Did you say your ammo is 0?

How much media do you have in the filter? Did you clean all of it out?

Ideally,you should have 0 nitrites and some nitrates-my run 20-40 before I do my weekly 50% w/c-and 5-10 just after. The ammo-which is bad-gets converted to nitrites(which are even worse),and that gets converted to nitrate-and that's what we remove w/ our w/cs. IF you have plants,they can consume the nitrates-they live off of waste-BUT IF you do not have plants,all of the converted waste remains as nitrate-which is much better for the fish-as long as they don't get too high. So,a cycled tank is 0/0/5-?. No nitrates means no cycle. No Nitrites is VERY GOOD,NO nitrates indicates something going on w/ a cycle. Did you say your ammo is 0?

How much media do you have in the filter? Did you clean all of it out?

WOW!I THOUGHT 0 NITRITE AND 0 NITRATE WERE GOOD ... WHEN YOU SAY "NO CYCLE" THAT SHOCKED ME ... MY AMONIA IS CLOSE TO ZERO IF NOT ZERO .. IT WAS HIGH AT FIRST BUT CAME DOWN TO ZERO AFTER A COUPLE WEEKS SO ... RIGHT NOW MY NITRITE IS ZERO .. NITRATE IS CLOSE TO ZERO AND AMMONIA IS ZERO ... THE PH IS 7.2 ... SO WHAT DO I DO? IF YOU CAN HELP ME I WILL BUY YOU A BEER ...

MY FISH DO SEEM HEALTHY .. THIER FINS ARE ERECT AND NO WHITE OR RED SPOTS OR FAST BREATHING ... WHAT THE _)*(*&*(&^

hello, welcome to koko.

Your reading are ammo:0, nitrites:0 and nitrates:0 correct?

Do you have ANY plants inside tho? It doesn't have to be planted - for example I have a couple of Java ferns and anubias in my 85Gal and I ALWAYS get 0,0,0 readings.

How about oxygenation? Usually larger fish need a lot more - do you have a couple of airstones in there?

I am wondering if your goldfish are suffering from an unstable pH lvl. I understand that you added coral to the tank to raise your pH and that it is now stable at 7.2 but have you been aging the water that goes in so that it is also at 7.2 before you add it? 1/3 of your tank is a lot of water to change at a different pH which may be part of the reason why they are huddled in a corner.

You age water by adding an air stone to the water you are going to add to your tank before it goes in the tank. This helps oxygenate your water and drive up your pH lvl.

I really think this is a water quality issue. I think you are dealing with an uncycled tank or a tank that lost its cycle and the fish are reacting with stress to ammonia that was quite high (even if it is lower now being exposed to it can affect them) and nitrite. Then there is the fluctuating PH. You really need to test your tap water and post the results here. When you test for nitrate make sure you follow all instrucitons exactly and that includes shaking the bottle for thirty seconds and the test kit for a full minute. And read up on cycles. Nitrate is the good bacteria...it can still be deadly if it raises too high, but it is what you want in your tank so it can eat up the ammonia and nitrite.

I think water changes are the key here...usually with a cycling tank I do a 50% water change daily. But your PH has to be stable for that...so we really need the tap tested.

When fish huddle together is is usually due to something being off with the water.

I am wondering if your goldfish are suffering from an unstable pH lvl. I understand that you added coral to the tank to raise your pH and that it is now stable at 7.2 but have you been aging the water that goes in so that it is also at 7.2 before you add it? 1/3 of your tank is a lot of water to change at a different pH which may be part of the reason why they are huddled in a corner.

You age water by adding an air stone to the water you are going to add to your tank before it goes in the tank. This helps oxygenate your water and drive up your pH lvl.

hey! thanks ....this is the most likely senenario i've gotten yet .... thanks again ....

I really think this is a water quality issue. I think you are dealing with an uncycled tank or a tank that lost its cycle and the fish are reacting with stress to ammonia that was quite high (even if it is lower now being exposed to it can affect them) and nitrite. Then there is the fluctuating PH. You really need to test your tap water and post the results here. When you test for nitrate make sure you follow all instrucitons exactly and that includes shaking the bottle for thirty seconds and the test kit for a full minute. And read up on cycles. Nitrate is the good bacteria...it can still be deadly if it raises too high, but it is what you want in your tank so it can eat up the ammonia and nitrite.

I think water changes are the key here...usually with a cycling tank I do a 50% water change daily. But your PH has to be stable for that...so we really need the tap tested.

When fish huddle together is is usually due to something being off with the water.

thanks! really good info ....

thanks! really good info ....

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED .... VERY LUCKY TO HAVE KNOWLEDGEABLE HELP AT THIS SITE .... THANKS AGAIN .... IM WORKING ON YOUR IDEAS .....

Last post on this topic! ... again thanks soooo much from everyone ... unbelievable there are people as knowledgable as you all ...I found my problem ... my test strips went bad!!! I have have had problems with these strips in the past. In this case all parameters were good on the strips except NITRATE! ... no reading at all . I purchased a new kit today and my Nitrate is way way high as many of you suspected .... so thankyou , thankyou ... sorry if it seemed I was panicking and yelling .. just do not want to lose these two fish ... thanks to Koko for this site.

Just for future reference-test strips are VERY unreliable! Most of us use the API drop test kit-you can depend on itexactly.gifHappy you put your finger on it-hope your fish friends are back to normal very soonbiggrin.gif We're always here-welcometo.jpg

Also please dont type in caps, its considered yelling

Thank you :)

I understand ... thanks ....

Also wanted to thank everyone that responded ... just about all very good info ... Haruka, Kukana Captain Findus, Bodada , Amynmitchell ... all good stuff ... I am now humbled to strive to be a member of this group! ... I have had Goldfish outdoors for 3yrs with only losing just a couple small ones(jumped out of pond) ... I was feeling so sure of myself untill innocently wanting to enjoy my two largest fish indoor over the winter. Let me know if I can do anything tom help on this site. thanks Tom