Breeding Project For This Upcoming Summer

kazaba

So, as I am very interested in genetics and goldfish, I decided that this summer I want to try and breed goldfish. It's going to by my last summer vacation ever, as I'm starting grad school in the fall. Then, after that, it's work full time! I decided it would be a great way to spend my spare time for my last summer. :)

I have a few questions concerning which goldfish to breed, and how to choose them.

I would prefer to breed fish purchased from goldfish connection (or a similar source), because they are so beautiful and it would be really fun to see their offspring. However, they are very expensive fish, and I don't know if it would be a good idea for me to try and breed them since I have no experience doing it. Also, is there any way to tell if they are male/female, and how old the fish are? I would probably only be able to afford 2, and I would be disappointed to end up with two males or two females. I noticed they don't provide this information on the showroom page, but is it possible to find out?

Any suggestions on choosing goldfish to breed (or any other related suggestions) would be greatly appreciated!

Here's some info on determining the sex of your goldfish:

Sexing goldfish is very difficult before they reach maturity. Sometimes people can tell by looking at the shape of the vent. Females may have rounder convex vents while males have thinner concave vents. The pectoral fins of males may be rather thick and stiff (compared to those of female goldfish) and with a more pronounced outer ray. Some people also believe that male goldfish have longer pectoral fins that do female goldfish.

Male goldfish will develop breeding stars on their gill covers (aka operculum) and along the first ray of their pectoral fins when they reach sexual maturity.

Thanks for the info, but I was actually wondering if places like goldfish connection would be able to tell you what sex the goldfish is beforehand, and how old it is so you could guarantee it is old enough to breed. (Or what they think is most likely) :D

I would be sad to spend all that money on goldfish of the same sex who weren't old enough to breed! ;)

I'm sure if you contact Rick at GC or Steve at RG they would be more than willing to help. I've dealt with Steve myself and he's answered any questions that I've had on the sex of the fish that I purchased. ;)

Ah, okay great! Hopefully I'll be able to get it figured out, thank you! And I can understand why he wouldn't want to do that since it can be very difficult to tell for sure...