Cow Won't Stop Eating Air

Fish_Fanatic

Well, my ryukin Cow just keeps gobbling up air from the surface. I'm pretty sure it's because his food is a floating pellet, and I'm buying some sinking food as soon as I run out of this one, but is there a way to stop him from doing this all the time? He's starting to just float at the surface of the water, and I'm getting worried it's going to progress into something worse. I'm going to feed him some peas, but is there a way to stop this behaviour? My other fish doesn't do this at all!

I really haven't found a way to get them to stop unless they learn that sinking pellets are the way to go. The peas should help some but the sinking pellets will definitely help them learn.

Yep, sinking pellets are the ones to use. Floating pellets will only keep them at the surface looking for food and that's where they tend to gulp all of that excess air which is what we want to avoid in the first place. Train them to feed from the bottom and they'll be much better off. ;)

I encountered the same problem you are having. I used to feed floating pellets and realized I should switch to sinking. Ive been feeding the sinking pellets for about two weeks now and my fish still skim the top of the water gulping air. Whats that problem? I have two air stones in my tank so there is plenty of oxygen. Its really bothering me. Perhaps their is another way? I know it would really help me and Fish_Fanatic out.

Goldfish like to eat protein film which is formed in the water surface in established aquarium usually after feeding and that way they gulping air. Try to feed them with natural foods like (frozen) krill, blood worms, artemia etc as staple, after rinsing with tap water, instead of commercial food. As vegetable food try soaked seaweed algae.

Give them commercial food as a threat.

Edited by soter