Microwaving The Water?

mjbubbles

Hi guys! I did a water change for Fluffy this morning before work. The new water had been conditioning in the bathroom, and when I was ready to put it in the tank, I noticed that it was much colder than the tank water. I didn't know what to do and didn't have time to wait for the temps to equalize naturally. So I took a couple cups of the new water and microwaved it for a couple of minutes. Then I added it to the bucket of new water and swished it around before adding it to the tank.

Do you think this will have harmful effects on the water or the fish? I don't intend to do it often, but it sure helped me out this morning.

xo

MJ

:gcar:

This is another...rewrite 4 times post.

Personally I would just invest in another heater and perhaps a bubbler to speed up the aging time of the water. Microwaves above all things, don't heat evenly. There are always pockets of scalding hot water, it would take quite a lot of mixing to make sure that the temperature of the water was even throughout.

But I'm quite paranoid and don't trust microwaves with my food, only for dyeing fiber to spin.

I don't see a problem,IF you are adding the m/w water to a larger amount of water and mixing it BEFORE adding it to the tank. I think the problems cited above would apply if zapping,then adding directly into the tank.

I did that before in the tropical tank, I noticed too late that the water I filled the tank with was colder than the water before the change. I have a thermometer in the tank, so I nuked a cup of water and slowly added the hot water where the water from the filter outlet goes back in the tank. I kept an eye on the thermometer and carefully added the water until the temperature was were it was supposed to be.

You just have to do it slowly as it will take a few minutes until the current from the filter will distribute the warmer water evenly, and the higher temperature might not show on the thermometer accurately right away.