Types Of Goldfish That Can Live In The Same Tank

Guest ads89

For beginners it's normally not recommended to keep single tails with fancies. Normally single tailed goldfish, commons, comets and shubunkins, are more agressive, they tend to swim faster therefore getting more food than the fancies.

If you are new to goldfish keeping I'd keep it simple and keep singles with singles, fancies with fancies.

• Admin

Fantails are just about the closest fancy fish that could live with the pond fish (commons, comets) but if this is your first time around dealing with the fancy fish, I would just like "bodoba" said keep it simple and stay with the same kind of fish. :)

If keeping both fantails and single tails together (not that I am, just wondering) would it be better to introduce the single tails when they are very small, like feeder fish size so that they cannot bully the fantails as much?

I don't think it would really matter since they won't really 'bully' per say but will out compete the fantails by being fast, so they will always win with food regardless. And then they also grow at a much faster rate anyway which puts the fantails at another disadvantage.

I think it's all about the advantages of sight and feeding...survival of the fittest if you will. Therefore I recommend commons with comets, fancies with fancies. Spare 'em the stress. ;)

I can't think of any reason why single tails should attack fancy tails. Unlike people, goldfish aren't racist, so single tails never go after fancies just because they are fancies. If a single tail attacks a fancy then I would say the single tail is either a bully (towards only one or more fish), or territorial in case he is in mating mood and sees the fancy as competitor, or he is a bully during feeding time.

Or the fancy fish is ill.

All this can happen the other way around just as likely though if the fancy is the same size as the single tail. Fancies can even act like that with other fancies, which is why for example a member on here had to give up a few of her fancies because especially at feeding time they were bullying the other two fancy fish.

In my case, as you can see in my signature I do keep fancies and single tails together, and never had problems other than that I have to make sure that the slower / vision impaired (telescope eyed) fish get enough to eat. Hugo, my 9" single tail is the most gentle fish; when swimming around she even tries to dodge the small fancies instead of pushing them out of her way. She also does not steal food when I am hand-feeding the telescopes. Instead she comes to the surface, sticks her nose out and waits patiently until I stick I fingertip full of food in her mouth.

Technically all goldfish can be kept together, if they personally get along and if you are willing to put some extra work in to ensure the slower and disadvantaged fancies get their share of food.

Thanks Oerba that clarifies things :) What I meant though, was not that single tails attack fancies because they are fancies, but if they happen to attack it will turn into bullying because they are not able to get away as well as another single tail. BTW, I have always admired your Hugo and Orange Fishie! They are beautiful single tails :D

I have one BIG Common GF in with my fancies. I have never seen any bullying. And they have been together for years. I always feed at the far end then drop a few pellets towards the back & other side for foraging!!

I have one BIG Common GF in with my fancies. I have never seen any bullying. And they have been together for years. I always feed at the far end then drop a few pellets towards the back & other side for foraging!!

I SHOULD have added that this IS NOT recommended!! I got my Common from my daughter YEARS ago. He was a little thing & she had him in a Tiger Barb tank :doh11: I scooped him up & took him home. I thought I'd give him away but I just got attached to him!! I am lucky he is a Low Keyed sort of Guy!!!!

Fantails are just about the closest fancy fish that could live with the pond fish (commons, comets) but if this is your first time around dealing with the fancy fish, I would just like "bodoba" said keep it simple and stay with the same kind of fish. :)

I would like to add. I have a ryukin with 2commets and 1 common. Both are the same size. I think it really depends on the fish. Though mine may get along because mine likes to swim fast sometimes, especially when its looking for food. While when I had a telescope it was sluggish. I think that would applies to some fancies. In my honest opinion. I think a few types of goldfish fancies could go with non fancies. But you never can be too certain, so you always must keep a close watch(every day, especially on feeding time), and it may just be by luck. Iam sure most would agree not to mix them. I agree to that to some degree. Firstly you should know your fishs personality, and over all attitude. Mine is a speedsters, and can keep up with a commet. In fact I actually see them school together, believe it or not. The ryukin is the leader, maybe its dominance? I did have another ryukin like a year back. That ryukin was slow and calm. He could not live with these fish. Thus I had to relocate her. I think it was a she, because sunny and his gang(Except the female commet) would follow around the female ryukin, poking at her anal fin. I tihnk thats a breeding ritual(I remember reading it somewhere). I had another ryukin when I was starting out. It was with sunny but this one was a calico ryukin and he was twice as big as sunny was back then. Actually the size that sunny is right now. lol. He was graceful, peaceful, yet dominant and a fatty. Anywho my point is:

1)Really depends on the type of fancy it is and it also depends on their specific personality. Just because its a fish, does not mean it doesnt have a personality. Fish may not be super smart. But! They do have SOME intelligence. I hope you understand that. Also if you really wanna add them together it may be a pain because youd have to have a few spare tanks just in case it doesnt work out. you know? I think as long as all the fish are eating, and behaving normally and not getting bullied then it should be alright. If you see a sign of bullying, or a fish not eating. Seperate them immedietly. You may want to have the spare tanks running just for this sake. Oh and it can be years and the fish could show aggression later on. You know? Like I used to have a pufferfish a long time ago. I kept some shrimp with it. Just to test it out. He didnt touch the shrimp until like 6months later.