Tetra Whisper Ex70 Vs Emperor Bio-Wheel Power Filters

so i plan to adding a bit more filtration to my tank, not in a rush for it, but i think it will help out i feel. i currently have a tetra whisper EX70 for my 55 gal tank. ITs been running for about 7 months or so.. since april. Anyways, i just upgraded my lights, which are AWWEESSOOMMEE but i will save that for another thread.

ANNYYYwayyyss. i have been considering more filtration for quite some time. looking around, deciding what i should do.. and personally, i love upgrading parts, making my tank look better, and do better overall, but im still in a bit of a pickle due to college just around the corner..and nooo one is remotely capable to maintain my tank.. so atm i am SOL if some of you follow.

ex70 price $45.00

alright so on topic, i was thinking, canisters are a bit on the $$$ side and so then i decided to stick with your usual power filters. i was thinking, why not get another EX70. atm i am running one of those so thats 340 GPH then if i get another one thats double so thats 680 GPH. now the pro i have with this decision is that when i buy the filter cartridges i only buy one box and it shall be enough to fill up both filters. I dont know if any of you are tetra whisper owners here but if you have seen the bio cartridge thing, its quite the unique design.

Emperor Bio-Wheel Power Filters Price $59.99

alright so now the other option. if i go for the Emperor Bio-Wheel Power Filter, thats 400GPH giving me 60 more GPH which is obviously a pro. However the con with this option is that now it cost more and when buying filter replacements.. i need to buy separate cartridges which then cost even MORE money. i do have a question though, aside from the cost issues, are these bio wheels better than what tetra offers? does it even matter?

so i need help making a decision.

however, now as i have been writing this i have also been searching other filters, and i have found this.

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/Fish_Filters_Canister-Filters_HOT-Magnum-Filter_9493505_102.html?tc=fish

under the model there is a drop down menu and select the pro model and look at that. i have little knowledge of canisters, and if a low GPH would do justice if canisters tend to do clean better. Again here is the issue, if i go for the regular model its 80 bucks, or if i go for pro.. basically 100 bucks. again same con issues like the bio wheel filter.

now i want some good filtration but i want to get the best bang for the buck if you get me...(hope i used the right phrase there haha )

now if all this is confusing. i can basically break it down like this

1. http://www.bigalsonline.ca/Fish_Filters_Power-Filters_EX-Power-Filter_7562497_102.html?tc=fish (click the drop down menu under model and select EX70)

2. http://www.bigalsonline.ca/Fish_Filters_Power-Filters_Emperor-Bio-Wheel-Power-Filter_9491201_102.html?tc=fish (click the drop down menu and click the 400 model )

3. http://www.bigalsonline.ca/Fish_Filters_Canister-Filters_HOT-Magnum-Filter_9493505_102.html?tc=fish (click the drop down and just compare the two models )

the reason why i chose these filters is that power filters always hang off the back, and cans dont and require a lot of space, however the few cans that do hang, are usually for like 20 gal tanks, except this one.. i think.

so i just need help deciding what could be the best one to choose, considering everything i have said. hopefully i have made sense, as i have confused myself many times.

thank you in advance. :D

I have rewritten this answer 7 times now. I make my own filtration systems so the only major expense is the pump. This is the only way for me to ensure there is enough biomedia available to fit my aquariums needs.

I have no experience with anything but HOB filters and to me, those don't provide enough space for biomedia and the suction tube is just too much of a danger, I prefer to add surface agitation with an air pump and bubbles or a powerhead/circulation pump.

I hope someone with more knowledge of your choices comes along.

• Admin

Well to try to help you, the Penguin filters............

I have 2 of them on my tank, I only use one filter pad thats made by the company on each of my filters, then I use filter floss that i buy in bulk. The reason for this is....... 1. you dont need the carbon all the time. 2. its just to expensive to buy there filter floss. So I made it the way i want my filter and save alot of money this way. :)

I have rewritten this answer 7 times now. I make my own filtration systems so the only major expense is the pump. This is the only way for me to ensure there is enough biomedia available to fit my aquariums needs.

I have no experience with anything but HOB filters and to me, those don't provide enough space for biomedia and the suction tube is just too much of a danger, I prefer to add surface agitation with an air pump and bubbles or a powerhead/circulation pump.

I hope someone with more knowledge of your choices comes along.

Well to try to help you, the Penguin filters............

I have 2 of them on my tank, I only use one filter pad thats made by the company on each of my filters, then I use filter floss that i buy in bulk. The reason for this is....... 1. you dont need the carbon all the time. 2. its just to expensive to buy there filter floss. So I made it the way i want my filter and save alot of money this way. :)

seems like both of you like to DIY filters. pretty interesting. these penguin filters, totally rings a bell but im having a brain fart at this moment, so as embarrassing as it it. care to explain to me it? a brand? i cannot remember. and i do agree with the hassle of carbon filers. they run out SOOO fast, but at least the floss like bag still cleans.

• Admin

Its the same company as "Emperor Bio-Wheel Power Filters" its just another kind they make and normally do go as high in the GPH as the Emperor Bio-Wheel Power Filters do..... but i have one penguin and one Emperor Bio-Wheel Power Filters on my 50 gal tank :)

Its the same company as "Emperor Bio-Wheel Power Filters" its just another kind they make and normally do go as high in the GPH as the Emperor Bio-Wheel Power Filters do..... but i have one penguin and one Emperor Bio-Wheel Power Filters on my 50 gal tank :)

I love the biowheels. Have two on my oscar tank.

so atm it seems that the biowheel is Favorited here. in my EX70, instead of buying the carbon filter then, would i be able to get floss and put them in both the emperor AND the ex70? because aside from the bio wheel, they both have a bio thing which you do not wash and just carbon filters.

• Admin

Sure you can, you can do this with just about any filter hun.... When I had my Eheim canister, I only had the bio balls that came with it in there, and there sponges, but i filled the rest of it with filter floss. i dont buy much of the companies recommend filter floss, this is cause its like buying a name brand, you can always make it much cheaper with the bulk floss and works just as well.

If you need carbon in the tank with either a canister filter or HOB you can make your own too. Just get a filter sock or bag and put in the bulk carbon in it tie it off and place in the filter. then when your done with it or its been used up, just open dump out the carbon and now you can use it again with new carbon :)

Saves alot of money in the long run :)

Sure you can, you can do this with just about any filter hun.... When I had my Eheim canister, I only had the bio balls that came with it in there, and there sponges, but i filled the rest of it with filter floss. i dont buy much of the companies recommend filter floss, this is cause its like buying a name brand, you can always make it much cheaper with the bulk floss and works just as well.

If you need carbon in the tank with either a canister filter or HOB you can make your own too. Just get a filter sock or bag and put in the bulk carbon in it tie it off and place in the filter. then when your done with it or its been used up, just open dump out the carbon and now you can use it again with new carbon :)

Saves alot of money in the long run :)

ooh this is great then! so the emperor sounds better than because the bio wheel would be better than the bio cartridge tetra has? or would you say equally efficient? the GPH is almost the same, but the emperor is slightly better GPH wise for an extra 10 bucks.

talking about carbon though. how important is it? The carbon in my tank usually stands at a fair level, nothing amazing and not like.. uber low. but these levels is WITH a carbon filter in it. so if i were to go i guess, custom with the filters here. would you say its safe or fine to buy the filter, regardless if its the ex70 or emperor, then adding filter floss, and NO carbon? or should i sock it and buy carbon and set it up?

• Admin

Well I never had the Tetra filters, but the bio wheel is nice to have cause all the bb's will live in it. :)

I dont put carbon in my filters unless the tank stinks or I had medicated them, so I wouldnt worry to much about carbon right now... Your tank is cycled right?

Well I never had the Tetra filters, but the bio wheel is nice to have cause all the bb's will live in it. :)

I dont put carbon in my filters unless the tank stinks or I had medicated them, so I wouldnt worry to much about carbon right now... Your tank is cycled right?

this is what they call the bio scrubber

http://s3.amazonaws.com/tc-photos/11442/product/standard/521713.jpg

mine are doing fairly well, they got lots of nasty looking but GOOD bio shttuuff on it. my only concern with it, is that if i ever have to take em out just to check up on the filter every now and then make sure its not full of too much .. poo and nonsense i suppose, putting it back, it sort of makes a mess. and im wondering, do the bio wheels give the same issue? because if i move the bioscrubber even just the slightest bit.. im running grabbing my net and catching all the nasty stuff that comes out of the filter and into my tank.

as for cycled tank? of course! :D its been running for about 7 months. or almost 7 months. since i believe like april 5th of this year. do yes cycle indeed, and so introducing a brand new filter wont really be a huge issue. im glad though that carbon isnt a must. i know its sort of a must when cleaning the water again after medicating fish, and for odors and thankfully. my tank has no nasty smells :D hopefully if i do decide to get the filter soon hopefully, im trying to get a job at the lfs actually this week. haha been bugging them for some time now and they all know me, so it would be nice to get a good one with the discount hopefully, insuring i get the job. anyways slighting side tracked, but going back on track, it would be nice to get i suppose the best from the two and go for this custom filter media set up we have been talking about.

• Admin

The only thing with bio wheels is after years of running you might to to take them off and tap them on the sink to get the gunk out of the middle. But i have moved mine a few times and stuff never comes out unless I want it to....:) So yeah there better than that thing hun :) Much better

The only thing with bio wheels is after years of running you might to to take them off and tap them on the sink to get the gunk out of the middle. But i have moved mine a few times and stuff never comes out unless I want it to....:) So yeah there better than that thing hun :) Much better

woot! thats good. i think its just a design flaw with not only tetra but with many other brands. their bio collectors or whatever they would like to call em, are like cartridges so you move em and all22 breaks loose. but if your saying that the wheel lowers that or even gets rid of this issue, then i will definitely get it, plus you telling me i can save money and use filter floss , bulk form, even better. and im glad the filter looks similar to the ex70, because i like my tank to look nice from the outside.. speaking of my tank, i really need to update you guys on how thats coming along. my journey in this wonderful hobby has changed soo much in the last 2 years.

thanks koko :D always can depend on not only your knowledge, but your wonderful site as well and the community in it :D

For some blasted reason I can't upload a pic on this section so I give you my blog link. Entry #7 has pictures of my HMF. The most expensive thing was the pump which was $40-50 (can't quite remember what it was with shipping), the rest of the stuff all cost less that $20 (I think the sponge was $24 with shipping though).

It isn't one of your options so I'm hesitant to tell you but I remember you saying cost was an issue here.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/82616-the-tank/page__view__findpost__p__999244

• Admin

I have one penguin on my tank thats been running now for 6 years, its alittle noisy now but over all my 2 HOB filters have never let me down. I just love these filters.

Another good one but I never have had one is the AquaClears, you can do the same thing with them, they dont have a bio wheel but there is a sponge that comes with it that works just like the penguin filters :) just another thought :)

For some blasted reason I can't upload a pic on this section so I give you my blog link. Entry #7 has pictures of my HMF. The most expensive thing was the pump which was $40-50 (can't quite remember what it was with shipping), the rest of the stuff all cost less that $20 (I think the sponge was $24 with shipping though).

It isn't one of your options so I'm hesitant to tell you but I remember you saying cost was an issue here.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/82616-the-tank/page__view__findpost__p__999244

im open to all ideas. DIY stuff, i dunno if i would do personally, however i do respect those who do it. such as yourself, especially getting 1000 gph. impressive :D

I have one penguin on my tank thats been running now for 6 years, its alittle noisy now but over all my 2 HOB filters have never let me down. I just love these filters.

Another good one but I never have had one is the AquaClears, you can do the same thing with them, they dont have a bio wheel but there is a sponge that comes with it that works just like the penguin filters :) just another thought :)

hopefully noise level they have reduced.the Tetra whisper series, i will admit are very.. whispery haha nice and quiet. my tetra whisper air pump seems louder. XD

I'll stay out of this as I'm an AquaClear user. :)

haha i have heard aquaclear is a very good brand. not expensive, but you get good performance. the look would be off though if anything with my tank but aside from that i know its a good brand :D im leaning for emperor atm with the neatness of the biowheel, but if they are still sort of loud, then the ex70 is winning over. then aquaclear is about the same as the tetra i assume roughly so it would be sort of the same, so then look wise id go for the tetra to keep it looking the same.

sounds good jls...Tetra makes a reliable product...I've always like their line. ;)

yup they have been good to me. if noise isnt soo bad though. the bio wheel just seems a lot better, and something cool to look at every now and then haha. ugh decisions decision. its like, tetra equals silence, but then for 10 bucks more i can get more gph and a better bio collector. UUGGHHH and everyone here supports both, and well.. as well as aquaclear haha. im just glad though that choosing filter media doesnt really matter now that i can just buy a bulk of filter floss :D

oh quick question. with using filter floss, would you still do the monthly replacement of em?

Not sure how I missed this thread, but I loooove my Tetra Whispers. I don't use the media it comes with, as others have said, and they really hold a lot of media if you pack them with bio rings and floss. I don't replace any of my media, including floss, until it's falling apart, though :D

I do have a Whisper EX70, and honestly I like it very much. I removed this bio plastic thing part and stuffed the filter with tons of filter floss. I use the Marineland Rite Size undergravel filter floss. I cut multiple sheets and layer them, so if the one that is in the back (where the water goes through first and so will catch most of the waste) is getting too messy and falling apart, I remove this piece and add a new one in the front. I think there is plenty of room in those boxes to put floss in and this provides so much space for bacteria to live in.

Also the fact that this filter sure is very quiet makes me love it.

Oh, and in one of the boxes I keep the stocking with the crushed coral. Provides some more surface for bacteria while it hides the crushed coral as I am practically bare bottom.

Well, my tank, not me.

I have no experience with the Emperor so I can't tell you which one is better of course. But I'm extremely happy with the EX70 and for now I will stick with them. :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

• Admin

Mine got noisy cause its old and needs the propeller replaced. Now the wheels will be noisy at first cause they arent totally wet and dont have the good Bb's attached to it so it will make some noise at first. :)

ohh i really like the idea with the multiple layers of filter floss, and as one goes bad, you just replace that one, that way you dont lose all the good bacteria. never really thought about that idea. it sounds amazing though to me. bio wheel sounds really good as well though mess wise. but seeing how the whisper is always quiet and the wheel is noisy at first, plus it could make noise again later on, i might go for the ex70. i know your emperor is uber old, and glad to know it has good bacteria, but i dunno, i think the calm splash of the ex70 would sound more exciting then mechanical clunking. Ugh such good filters, i would love to try out the biowheel or see it in action, but already owning the whisper i might just do that. keep the bio scrubber as they call it, then pack the remaining space with filter floss, once i run out of all the carbon filters i have.

question though. is it okie to lets say fill up the entire filter with media? or does there need to be space as there usually is if you were to set it up stock. and also, i know carbon filters are good with removing meds and odors. so then lets say i need to use one at one point (which is inevitable) should i get a bucket of tank water, and leave the floss in there so it doesnt go bad and then put the carbon in for the duration needed?

and these "socks" that people great on their own. how does that work? can you open up filter floss some how and put either crushed coral or carbon? i have never worked with filter floss so i am quite interested in it now :D

I practically fill the thing with filter floss (in layers as mentioned above). In case you ever need carbon I'd just buy one box of filter cartridges for the ex70. They already come with the carbon inside them, so I would just stick one of them on each side of the filter in between the layers of floss, and remove it a few weeks later when not needed anymore.

The crushed coral, just go to wal mart and get woman's knee high stockings. Something like this http://www.phc-online.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Knee_high-H13-2T.jpg

You rinse the amount of crushed coral that you need really good, then fill it in the stocking, tie a knot in it and shove the thing somewhere into the filter, wherever you can fit it in as long as the water flows through it.

On recommendation of long time fish keepers on here I threw the ex' bio scrubbers out. The fibers of the floss have much more surface for beneficial bacteria to grow than the bio scrubber things.